Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Re: do you feel safe if out at night

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Not saying that problems never arise here in Aus -
but it seems that the situation in the UK is far more dire.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody (so far) has blamed Islam.
Hi

In terms of robberies, (muggings), Australia is much safer than the UK.

You are 74% more likely to be mugged here in the UK than in Australia.

I am afraid Pumice that Asians, which we record crime under, are a significant problem in this respect.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
[/B]

No Mups im capable of defending myself and did so, though i have skills, im too slow to use them im still a well built bloke, gave plenty of warnings first,then stopped the attack. Thankfully a bystander stepped in after and they disappeared.

But if you are capable you must always get away if possible im unable to walk faster than a mere crawl so had too defnd myself.

What did concern me was the total lack of a police presence anywhere in a busy city center.If i had seen one i would have alerted them as i think the person should have been taken into care for their own sake.

Had it been me, I would have found it very upsetting even if I hadn't been hurt. I'd probably be wary of going back there, too. I don't want to feel like that, but I view these things a bit differently as I've got older.
I am glad you escaped unharmed.
wabblewalk
surrey borders
wabblewalk is male  wabblewalk has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Brighton yesterday, man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the police turned up and the policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke but the man actually managed to get the baton off the copper and started hitting the copper and the woman with it Then a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages ...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
There was a particularly bad mugging a few years ago where the victim was blind. There were a few witnesses that wouldn't give statements out of fear but, two brave young girls came forward with crucial descriptions.

The local underworld characters were so appalled they put a price on his head, he was that scared he gave himself up to police in another area, thinking he'd be safe in another prison not local to the crime. How wrong was he, it was reported that prisoners got to him to get the 'bounty'.

Poetic justice, too right.
I'm all in favour of it.

In the absence of police on our streets, and the presence of liberal judges and the Criminals' Protection Service, thank God we still have decent underworld barons who can tell the difference between 'honest' criminals and the disgusting thugs we seem to have so many of these days.

If the Mafia provided 'protection' around here, I'd be sure to join their scheme.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 10:32 AM

At various times my husband and the boys were attacked in broad daylight, I was mugged more gently in broad day light too, but it never occurs to me to worry at night specially since I have Elsie with me oddly for a cuddly Labrador she is very very protective of her family I have no doubt she would take care of me.

I don't however put myself in danger, I never carry a phone in my hand, or a hand bag at night, I just have my epipens kit attached to my belt, it's marked clearly so has no attraction for thieves. Also there are places I won't walk, under road walkway and tow path being a couple.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:24 AM

This little town is mostly peaceful and I know which parts not to be around at certain times. I`m not much use to mug anyway as I do not have a smart phone and the moths left my wallet ages ago.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by wabblewalk ->
Witnessed totally disgusting behaviour on the beach at Brighton yesterday, man and woman arguing in front of a load of kids then she smacked him one on the head and it all kicked off between them, the police turned up and the policeman ended up using his baton on the bloke but the man actually managed to get the baton off the copper and started hitting the copper and the woman with it Then a crocodile turned up and stole all the sausages ...
Were they arguing in a little wooden hut by any chance wabblewalk? And were all the kids shouting 'look behind you!'

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm all in favour of it.

In the absence of police on our streets, and the presence of liberal judges and the Criminals' Protection Service, thank God we still have decent underworld barons who can tell the difference between 'honest' criminals and the disgusting thugs we seem to have so many of these days.

If the Mafia provided 'protection' around here, I'd be sure to join their scheme.
As long as they get the right person and are aware of all the mitigating circumstances JBR....
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 11:35 AM

I would not go out on my own anymore. I think things have changed so much over the last few years.

Me and hubby went out on Thursday night into Cheltenham to see a show, we were going to go on the bus so that I could have a drink but I decided I would prefer to go in the car so that we did not have to wait around for too long in the town late at night.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I would not go out on my own anymore. I think things have changed so much over the last few years.

Me and hubby went out on Thursday night into Cheltenham to see a show, we were going to go on the bus so that I could have a drink but I decided I would prefer to go in the car so that we did not have to wait around for too long in the town late at night.
Disgusting, isn't it, that we live in a nominally civilised country yet dare not go out somewhere in the late evening for fear of attack or even loss of our lives.

Again, a lack of any real deterrent. I know I'd feel safer in countries such as Singapore, and that for obvious reasons.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2016, 01:41 PM

On the odd occasion that I have come across a drunken thug or wannabe Rambo I've been able to calm the situation.

I'm lucky that I can 'do' intimidating. I put my acting skills into overdrive, don't get me wrong, whilst I'm giving an Oscar winning performance my bottom is twitching like a rabbit's nose.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top