Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Re: Nigel Farage is on Question Time right now.

@Goldielocks
I hope not Goldie - haven't heard this .............
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Not sure if this is correct or not. I read an article recently and for the life of me I can no longer find. But is it correct that the government can actually Vito a referendum vote. So if the vote is close all votes are null and void.

I am afraid I have yet to see an intelligent debate on television at the moment.

Young voters particularly need to get a rounded opinion and not just a point scoring exercise from various politicians.
Although not quite a Vito, It was said by me on the Thread about Europe and repeated below.

One of the most concerning aspects of this referendum for the Leave campaign, if this editorial is true, is that Parliament would not be bound by the result. So, in other words, it could all be for naught.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2...te-convincing/
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
@Goldielocks
I hope not Goldie - haven't heard this .............
Both hubby and I read it on our kindle. We tend to read the Mail and Guardian on line. I looked for it and cant find it now.

I have listened to so much political debate now it would certainly throw a spanner in the works if this was the case.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Both hubby and I read it on our kindle. We tend to read the Mail and Guardian on line. I looked for it and cant find it now.

I have listened to so much political debate now it would certainly throw a spanner in the works if this was the case.
Best wait and see - fingers crossed all goes smoothly
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Although not quite a Vito, It was said by me on the Thread about Europe and repeated below.

One of the most concerning aspects of this referendum for the Leave campaign, if this editorial is true, is that Parliament would not be bound by the result. So, in other words, it could all be for naught.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2...te-convincing/
Yes, I read that somewhere too.
Just wish the whole thing was over now as all the television coverage seemed to be totally useless in terms of providing any helpful information on either outcome. Anyway my postal vote has gone off so I can't change my mind now.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 03:33 PM

(Hello Patsy! )
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Hi Goldie.
I think it is true to say that if the MPs ganged up the could veto a brecksit result on a vote in the Louses of Commons.
But then, all hell would break loose.
I wouldn't put anything past some lying thieving rotten and unscrupulous MPs though.
Step forward Cameron and have your nuts crushed!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:02 PM

It is indeed correct that the government are under no obligation to respect the results of the referendum and, if they wish, they CAN veto it.

However, if the vote was to come out and they did decide to stick their necks out and veto the wishes of the majority of the electorate they would be on very sticky ground. Yes, Cameron has certainly performed U-turns before, but he has clearly stated that he would abide by the results of the referendum.

I think that if he did attempt to veto it, he'd be signing his own resignation papers and quite likely those of his own government.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It is indeed correct that the government are under no obligation to respect the results of the referendum and, if they wish, they CAN veto it.

However, if the vote was to come out and they did decide to stick their necks out and veto the wishes of the majority of the electorate they would be on very sticky ground. Yes, Cameron has certainly performed U-turns before, but he has clearly stated that he would abide by the results of the referendum.

I think that if he did attempt to veto it, he'd be signing his own resignation papers and quite likely those of his own government.
If brecksit wins JBR, that will be Cameron gone anyway.
So for me, it is win, win, win!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 04:10 PM

If the referendum votes to leave the EU and Parliament refuses to do so, I think there would be rioting in the streets
I, for one, would be among them

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top