Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 06:10 AM

Re: Windows 10 start button stopped working

W10 - ugh. Had the Blue Screen of Death. So after a struggle, W7 is back.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that's certainly a useful thing to know.

Anyway, it seems that Windows 10 still suffers from a number of bugs. Time they were sorted out by Microsoft, I think, certainly before they start charging for it in July.
Even easier is simply pressing the WINkey to bring up the START menu(only takes one finger)

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Even easier is simply pressing the WINkey to bring up the START menu(only takes one finger)

The Windows key did nothing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Last night, we had a look at her laptop and she ran CCleaner, as Omah had suggested. Unfortunately, though, that didn't solve the problem.

The next step was to uninstall Avast AV, but the thing just hung for ages, even after several attempts. Eventually, we tried to disable it which did work and Windows Defender could be turned on. There was a short period of concern when neither Avast nor Defender were active, but eventually Defender is now on.

As the Start button and task bar had come back previously (after a System Restore) but then gone again, we were concerned that this action should also prove a temporary respite. However, this morning everything appears to be working properly. We shall continue to live in hope!

I am still very annoyed with the Microsoft 'experts', however. Their much-vaunted, all singing and dancing Windows 10 should have had these bugs ironed out as soon as possible, rather than sitting on their arses and doing nothing. Windows Update is there for a reason.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Even if uninstalling the AV has cured the problem, it will do no harm to run SFC now and also on a regular basis, e.g. after updates.

You may well have Malwarebytes installed already, but, if not, download the free version as additional adhoc (or scheduled) protection against infection.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Strange how the glitch happens on some systems but not others. Hard to say why that should be. I've never experienced it myself, so can't offer much more than has been mentioned or linked to already.

A clean installation might cure it but it would be very annoying to go through all that trouble only to find it still did it. I hope the problem has gone away permanently without having to do anything else.

Just to add to the Linux comments. Here's a screenshot of my current Desktop showing the menu layout and an open (Chrome) window:

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Even if uninstalling the AV has cured the problem, it will do no harm to run SFC now and also on a regular basis, e.g. after updates.

You may well have Malwarebytes installed already, but, if not, download the free version as additional adhoc (or scheduled) protection against infection.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
Yes, I have run SFC in the past and perhaps should do it more often. I told my wife, but she's very busy at the moment doing some work on her laptop. Perhaps later.

I already have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and also Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. I've recommended them to the wife but, again, too busy at the moment!

Incidentally, my free version of MB A-V has many options greyed out, including scheduling scans. No problem: I do them manually from time to time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just to add to the Linux comments. Here's a screenshot of my current Desktop showing the menu layout and an open (Chrome) window:

Yes, that doesn't look too dissimilar to my Windows windows(!). I have mentioned before that I might one day, when I have time, try out Linux on my old XP (or it might be Vista) laptop. I haven't had it out for years, though, so it may not be up to much. Certainly, the battery must be completely dead and unable to come back to life.

Also, is it likely that my old scanner and new printer will work under Linux?

As I understand it, there are several versions of Linux. Which would you recommend and why?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Also, is it likely that my old scanner and new printer will work under Linux?

As I understand it, there are several versions of Linux. Which would you recommend and why?
Not all printers and scanners will work with Linux. A good while back, I tried Ubuntu with a Brother DCP-117C printer/scanner. The driver wasn't in Ubuntu's own driver library but a driver was available from Brother. It installed OK but was not plain sailing for me because of being so used to just clicking on an exe to install drivers. A visiting son did it for me in the end. Like all children, it only took him about 5 minutes.

A few years down the line and I try Linux Mint with an HP Envy 5532 scanner/printer and that was a different story. Mint had the driver and it took a few clicks to set up under the 'Add Printer' function. This included finding it (wireless) too. Much easier than installing a driver in MS Windows in fact.

I don't know which of those scenarios would apply to your printer and scanner but I think it would be best to do an Internet search beforehand to find out. With Linux becoming more popular and easier to use these days, there is plenty of information and help around.

I have Linux Mint 17.3 installed on a Desktop computer that is about 7 years old. This just worked straight after installation, as did Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a different user interface called 'Unity'. Its usage is not difficult to learn but I thought I'd give Mint a try because of its Windows-like appearance.

I could get used to using Mint all the time but my paid-for drawing and painting programs are only available for Windows. There are free Linux equivalents that could take their place but they aren't perhaps as polished as the Windows programs. That's a reason for using Windows most of the time.

One drawback encountered on the Linux computer. I installed a temperature monitoring program on the system and found that the graphics card was running hot. Research showed that this was something experienced by others. I fitted another (inexpensive) graphics card and the graphics card temperature went right down. This cured an infrequent 'hanging' problem that had been happening.

I suppose this shows that not all hardware is suitable for a modern Linux system. However, if you have a computer that isn't being used, then it can be a way to try Linux and perhaps get to prefer it to Windows. Not a bad alternative for a home computer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-06-2016, 03:51 PM

Yes, that was my thought: to try Linux just out of interest using an old redundant computer. I had no intention of using it again, but I'm one of those sad people who can't bring themselves to throw things out.

So, yes, one day when I get around to it I shall try a version of Linux, no doubt Mint or Ubuntu (or maybe both) as you suggested. I already have LibreOffice, incidentally, which in some ways is superior to Office as I can use it to open files saved under other programmes - Lotus, for example - which are otherwise inaccessible.

Thanks for the advice.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top