Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Re: Barbecues

I have never been to an organised BBQ but we used to do lots in the summer for friends.

Now we don't bother, once hubby said it was too much trouble we stopped.

Cook the meat, have a salad, grab a drink then sit outside. So much easier.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
On the rare occasion that I do my own barbeque, I always make sure I cook a good vegetarian option for Mrs Longdogs. Marinated Quorn fillets, diced and served on skewers with roasted vegetables is a favourite.

Yum!
When is the next one?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Yum!
When is the next one?
I couldn't tell you Rhian. Since we moved, the Barbie has just been sitting covered at the end of the garden and hasn't been used. Mrs Longdogs will not sit in the garden until I landscape it.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 10:56 AM

I couldn't tell you Rhian. Since we moved, the Barbie has just been sitting covered at the end of the garden and hasn't been used. Mrs Longdogs will not sit in the garden until I landscape it.
Ha!
Good for Mrs L!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Done properly you can't beat a good barbie on a nice warm day with plenty of wine and cold beer. Enjoy!!
Just the ticket, in fact we are having one later on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That is odd we live in a zone where only smokeless fuels are allowed to be used and bonfires are banned, but yes barbecues seem to be prolific

Mmm, this is true.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I don't know what kind of barbecues they have, where you are, but the ones around here have spit roasted pig or steak in marinade, all served with lots of fresh crusty bead and assorted salads.
Around here that usually involves two or more footballers

I used to do some large barbecues, family, friends, colleagues etc.

My last home had a fantastic brick built affair.
I've really missed it so far so I'll be building another very soon.
Love em.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 07:19 PM

I have an Outback gas barbie with four burners and a wok burner on the side.
I light it and leave on high for at least 15 minutes before cooking. I never cook burgers, steaks, sausages etc on high heat - always medium to low. That way, they take a little longer, but cook all the way through and don't get charcoaled.
I cook my steaks to order and once done, I wrap it in foil for at least 5 minutes to rest.
I wrap corn on the cob in foil with butter ( and a sprinkling of Paprika if they like )
Salmon fillets, wrapped in foil with spring onion and ginger, is also a favourite.
If you have a conventional barbie, try putting herbs, such as Rosemary or Thyme on the coals. This enhances the flavour of your food.
Salads are great with barbies. Try different varieties of Lettuce, tomatoes etc and make your own dressing - so much better than shop bought.
Salad potatoes ( better still, Jersey Royals ) are good with barbies.
Why not try Saffron rice with dried fruit and nuts too. Make in advance to save the last minute hassle.
BBQ's do not need to be crap, just well thought out and your guests will appreciate your good food.
Enjoy
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
I have an Outback gas barbie with four burners and a wok burner on the side.
I light it and leave on high for at least 15 minutes before cooking. I never cook burgers, steaks, sausages etc on high heat - always medium to low. That way, they take a little longer, but cook all the way through and don't get charcoaled.
I cook my steaks to order and once done, I wrap it in foil for at least 5 minutes to rest.
I wrap corn on the cob in foil with butter ( and a sprinkling of Paprika if they like )
Salmon fillets, wrapped in foil with spring onion and ginger, is also a favourite.
If you have a conventional barbie, try putting herbs, such as Rosemary or Thyme on the coals. This enhances the flavour of your food.
Salads are great with barbies. Try different varieties of Lettuce, tomatoes etc and make your own dressing - so much better than shop bought.
Salad potatoes ( better still, Jersey Royals ) are good with barbies.
Why not try Saffron rice with dried fruit and nuts too. Make in advance to save the last minute hassle.
BBQ's do not need to be crap, just well thought out and your guests will appreciate your good food.
Enjoy
hi gasman. That sounds like a good barbeque to me. I just hope you've had the equipment tested by nose****all to ensure it is safe.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 05:07 PM

hi gasman. That sounds like a good barbeque to me. I just hope you've had the equipment tested by nose****all to ensure it is safe.
I'll send him a pm and ask for an appointment - not

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top