Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Re: External Hard drive.

Originally Posted by Omah ->
An internal drive may be faster but, in an emergency, when you've only minutes to grab a few possessions before leaving the house, selecting a desktop PC to carry away may be low on the list of your priorities whereas slipping an external hard drive into a pocket or bag is something to be considered along with spectacles and a mobile phone .....
Good point Omah, must move my PC closer to the door!

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Thinking about back-ups, I just counted up how many image files (photos, created graphics etc.) I've got stored up on Photobucket. I never realised how many I'd put there over the years. It's up to 1,702.

They aren't the originals as are stored locally on my backup disks. They have all been optimised for web display. However, it does mean I've got a bit of a backup there too.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Thinking about back-ups, I just counted up how many image files (photos, created graphics etc.) I've got stored up on Photobucket. I never realised how many I'd put there over the years. It's up to 1,702.

They aren't the originals as are stored locally on my backup disks. They have all been optimised for web display. However, it does mean I've got a bit of a backup there too.
True, Mart, you can use up acres of space, and hours of time, keeping backups in some sort of safe order.

Then, one day, you realise that that you should have been a bit more careful about how backups are set up.

I've gone back to playing with Incrementals & Differentials because they save space...but are they safe? I shall find out.

A recent search for Duplicate Files, across all the pc storage units, was embarrassing! My system could be half the size....!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:04 PM

I have seen cases where people are quite comfortable about making disk images but are reluctant to see if the data will be written back properly by the program used. I have developed a good degree of confidence in the process now because of carrying out the operation so many times.

I always put the write-back procedure to the test because it is necessary to know that a program can do it successfully if needs be. I have had an occasion where one disk image wouldn't work but prudently (or luckily), I keep a few images and there was another one available.

I use a third-party program (Paragon) but also keep an image made by Window's own disk imaging function. I've never had a 'WindowsImageBackup' fail.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

02-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I have seen cases where people are quite comfortable about making disk images but are reluctant to see if the data will be written back properly by the program used. I have developed a good degree of confidence in the process now because of carrying out the operation so many times.

I always put the write-back procedure to the test because it is necessary to know that a program can do it successfully if needs be. I have had an occasion where one disk image wouldn't work but prudently (or luckily), I keep a few images and there was another one available.

I use a third-party program (Paragon) but also keep an image made by Window's own disk imaging function. I've never had a 'WindowsImageBackup' fail.
Keeping up to date is hugely important (to my system) because the Image can only recreate the system back to the day/time the image was created.

No new programmes, games, apps, updates, etc. will be there if they were not already in the registry when you created the image.

This might be more important to different people. A low user might not notice the difference.

I think a new image every month might suit me best - but you have to take the time to make it - which could an hour or so on some pcs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 01:34 PM

As you seem to know what you're talking about, Mart, could you answer a question for me?

I use Windows 10 File History when backing up to one external hard drive, and the older Windows 7 Backup and Restore when backing up to the other (belt and braces I suppose).

Would you say that one is better than the other? I'd also like to know whether either of them do incremental backups, as when I do further backups they seem to take as long.

What about a System Image? I assume that backs up everything on the computer. Is it possible to restore individual files - or even programmes - from a System Image? If so, I wonder whether it is necessary to also do routine backups.

So many questions. Sorry!

(I confess that I haven't checked whether backed up files can be written back properly.)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-03-2017, 01:39 PM

I have to fly out now JBR but I expect others can answer too. I'll be back later.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I use Windows 10 File History when backing up to one external hard drive, and the older Windows 7 Backup and Restore when backing up to the other (belt and braces I suppose).

Would you say that one is better than the other? I'd also like to know whether either of them do incremental backups, as when I do further backups they seem to take as long.
Regarding File History, the last I heard there were multiple issues with the software - it just didn't do as asked, e.g. instead of backing up selected changed/new files every hour, it was backing up everything from default libraries, so hard drives were being rapidly filled up. As a result of my own experience, I have stopped using it.

AFAIK, File History is (should be) incremental while W7 Backup is differential.

What about a System Image? I assume that backs up everything on the computer. Is it possible to restore individual files - or even programmes - from a System Image? If so, I wonder whether it is necessary to also do routine backups.
MS say it is not possible to to restore individual files from a System Image but others say it is.

Many W10 users have switched to 3rd party solutions - I now use Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I tested the free version on my (spare) laptop then bought the full version for my (main) desktop.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Thanks Omah.

AFAIK, File History is (should be) incremental while W7 Backup is differential.
I thought they were the same. What's the difference?
Are they both reliable?

MS say it is not possible to to restore individual files from a System Image but others say it is.

Many W10 users have switched to 3rd party solutions - I now use Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I tested the free version on my (spare) laptop then bought the full version for my (main) desktop.
Does the 'free' version run out and demand that you pay for the full version?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 04:11 PM

I thought they were the same. What's the difference?
Are they both reliable?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_backup

Microsoft, makers of Backup and Restore, defines incremental backups and differential backups as follows:

"Incremental: An incremental backup provides a backup of files that have changed or are new since the last incremental backup....

Differential: A differential backup provides a backup of files that have changed since a full backup was performed.

A differential backup typically saves only the files that are different or new since the last full backup, but this can vary in different backup programs. Together, a full backup and a differential backup include all the files on your computer, changed and unchanged."
So, as I understand it, all first (full) backups will take a long time.

Subsequent differential backups (and there can be as many as you like) will include all different/new files (cumulatively) since the first backup, so will take ever longer to run.

Subsequent incremental backups (and there can be as many as you like) will include all different/new files since the first backup initially and all different/new files since the last incremental backup thereafter, so, depending on frequency of run, will take considerably less time to run.

So, on my main (desktop) PC (with Macrium full version), I run a full backup on Monday then incremental backups from Tuesday to Sunday.

On my secondary (laptop) PC (with Macrium free version), I run a full backup on Monday then a differential backup as required (depending how often I use the laptop).

I have had no problems with either version.

Does the 'free' version run out and demand that you pay for the full version?
No.

I hope I have explained this correctly and that it helps.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top