Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Re: Do you consider yourself intelligent.

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
All this talk of intelligence though, I don't think there is any way around it, and it isn't very PC but some people are just thick.
Sometimes I do stupid things that should be common sense and that makes me feel thick and embarrassed, I really hate it. I always think afterwards why didn't I do it this way/that way because thinking afterwards I always know what i should have done but it seems I am hopeless at times at thinking on my feet.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't consider myself particularly intelligent my IQ is only in the 120s. My husband and daughters have MENSA level IQs.
Tarantula, don't you have another child who has Down Syndrome?

That's something to be incredibly proud of and would lend some interest to this discussion.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:21 PM

The way i view 'intelligence' is the capacity to problem solve. Once the problem becomes solved it then transfers into knowledge, knowledge you are able to call upon when the time requires it. The ability to retain knowledge does not indicate a persons level of intelligence in my opinion.

Problem solving can be anything, for example, taking a long journey with multiple stops meaning you have to work out incoming and outgoing times, which routes to take. It all needs working out and that takes 'intelligence'.

I do not watch soap opera's/drama. My music tastes are limited. My cooking experience is limited so when question about those subjects get asked, does someone who is able to answer them all make them more intelligent than me, no, but what is does do is make them more knowledgeable than me, a big difference.

That is why i used to really like the game show '3-2-1' (Dustybin )because you had to problem solve the riddles, meaning your 'intelligence' was put to the test rather than your 'knowledge'.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The way i view 'intelligence' is the capacity to problem solve. Once the problem becomes solved it then transfers into knowledge, knowledge you are able to call upon when the time requires it. The ability to retain knowledge does not indicate a persons level of intelligence in my opinion.

Problem solving can be anything, for example, taking a long journey with multiple stops meaning you have to work out incoming and outgoing times, which routes to take. It all needs working out and that takes 'intelligence'.

I do not watch soap opera's/drama. My music tastes are limited. My cooking experience is limited so when question about those subjects get asked, does someone who is able to answer them all make them more intelligent than me, no, but what is does do is make them more knowledgeable than me, a big difference.

That is why i used to really like the game show '3-2-1' (Dustybin )because you had to problem solve the riddles, meaning your 'intelligence' was put to the test rather than your 'knowledge'.
oh dear, I'm hopeless at problem solving, I give up
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh dear, I'm hopeless at problem solving, I give up
What you do not realise is that you problem solve virtually every day, until it get's transferred to knowledge and then you rely on knowledge retention to get you through life's troubles.

All you need to do is think of all the things you have done on your own or by yourself without anyone showing you how it's done. You were the one that researched the issue, looked at pictures or diagrams, tried by trial and error.

It could be things such as cooking, or having to deal with your local bank or a utility company or the council for the first time. Something you fixed, made or built for the first time. All that takes 'problem solving', who do i need to ring, who do i need to write, where do i send to, all takes 'intelligence'.

Once you've done it, you then become 'knowledgeable' until the next problem solve comes along
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:49 PM

Somebody once told me that it's not so much a matter of how intelligent somebody is, it's whether they have remembered what they have learned or not.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 07:50 PM

A military tale,
"Sgt! It appears to be stuck" "Have you tried a screwdriver sir?" "Don't appear to have one Sgt" "Try knocking it against the side of the vehicle sir" "Mmm..still stuck I'm afraid Sgt" "Here sir. Let me have a go......There you are sir. Sorted" "Thank you Sgt. Tricky things Coke cans".
I have seen a lot of ‘intelligent’young officers come out of the factory but with no common sense at all, but some did climb the promotion ladder quite quickly due in part to connections. You don’t need to be intelligent to make it in the military but you do need to be clever or have connections.

Art thou officer,
Or art thou base, common, and popular? - William Shakespeare
Am I intelligent? I don’t think so,but I am clever. I was born in a slum in South Wales, went to a catholic school which did not educate me, joined the military at 15 years of age, left after 25 years, as a Sgt Major, then became a Training Manager for a multi national company and retired at 57 years of age.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 08:43 PM

Now listen ear LQ. You are a witty and kind poster. I have not read all through this thread, but I am guessing that some replies, must state that we cannot judge ourselves. We are all gifted in different ways.
Our neurons start decreasing from the age of thirty, and yet Einstein's brain had an abundance for his age.

Anyway, who cares, we have AI these days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
A military tale,
I have seen a lot of ‘intelligent’young officers come out of the factory but with no common sense at all, but some did climb the promotion ladder quite quickly due in part to connections. You don’t need to be intelligent to make it in the military but you do need to be clever or have connections.

Am I intelligent? I don’t think so,but I am clever. I was born in a slum in South Wales, went to a catholic school which did not educate me, joined the military at 15 years of age, left after 25 years, as a Sgt Major, then became a Training Manager for a multi national company and retired at 57 years of age.
I learnt a lot about life in the forces too, Rehab.
My main downfall was when I left too early. I would have been a lot better off financially at least by now.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I learnt a lot about life in the forces too, Rehab.
My main downfall was when I left too early. I would have been a lot better off financially at least by now.
My military pension along with a war disablement pension helps to keep the wolves from the door, and along with my civvy pension enabled me to retire at 57.

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top