Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Re: More 'save the planet' crap

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I agree. Most of my professional life was designing more efficient systems to reduce energy consumption on industrial projects.

A little example. We switched to LED panel indicator lamps from 1992. This saved in two ways. Obviously they consumed less power compared to filament lamps and they lasted forever reducing manufacturing costs and waste.
This is precisely how we exact change - hard work solving problems with real, affordable, and beneficial outcomes.

I am sure that was a most satisfying career. Well done.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Those 30p mesh bags were introduced in my Sainsbury's last week. I thought no way would they expect you to buy a bag for separate vegetables so I took just the one bag and filled it with sprouts, carrots, a couple of baking potatoes and bananas, took it to the checkout and presented it with a smile The till operator didn't say a word, just took out the various items, put them through the scanner and I had to repack my veg again at the other end!

Looking forward to next week when I buy all my different casserole veg
Oh dear. more work for the operator and longer delays.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why not?
Why?

And what if there are no boxes once everyone cottons on to it?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why?

And what if there are no boxes once everyone cottons on to it?
Basically tough.

Use a shopping bag or a bag on wheels and buy a pack of bags from eBay for loose veg and the like.

Sorted.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 05:30 PM

So why not lash out on your own small bags for veg and bits?

About three quid for a hundred plastic on eBay post free. Or be environmental friendly and buy strung Kraft paper bags at about four quid for a hundred post free again on eBay?
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Because people can’t be a***d.
So how does that save the planet?

I already have to buy packs of black sacks because the council will only take non-recycling if it is in a black sack. some items have to be double wrapped in a carrier bag of all things.

I am all for cutting back on plastic but why should the supermarket profit from it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Not when I was there................
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This is precisely how we exact change - hard work solving problems with real, affordable, and beneficial outcomes.

I am sure that was a most satisfying career. Well done.
And stop doing things that damage the environment. The anthropocene must be that time when exploitation of the world and damage to the environment ceased even though it will mean an end of things that stupid people still think can carry on unhindered.

It will also have to see huge changes to how races are viewed and that will be a barrel of laughs as sacred cows are culled much to the horror of people who thought that they were immortal ---
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
So how does that save the planet?

I already have to buy packs of black sacks because the council will only take non-recycling if it is in a black sack. some items have to be double wrapped in a carrier bag of all things.

I am all for cutting back on plastic but why should the supermarket profit from it?
So look on it as it is intended. A penalty charge for not doing things to help the environment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 05:45 PM

So look on it as it is intended. A penalty charge for not doing things to help the environment.
That's the problem though isn't it. We (the public) are always penalised instead of being encouraged. Did you work for local government?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 05:46 PM

And stop doing things that damage the environment. [/B] The anthropocene must be that time when exploitation of the world and damage to the environment ceased even though it will mean an end of things that stupid people still think can carry on unhindered.

-
You forgot, "we should." WE should stop doing things...

Preaching vs. looking in the mirror.

Change starts with me.

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top