Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:37 AM

Re: House Sharing

I also live alone Mollie and have no children and my nearest family, mum, sister etc are a 7 hour car drive away!

I slipped over on some ice in the garden the winter before last and thought then I wonder how long it would take for somebody to find me had I been knocked out cold! I would hope that the dogs would bark until a neighbour investigated why they were barking. I fell over again last winter and broke a wrist, but it does make you think!!

I work from home so nobody would miss me until I failed to collect or return a dog to a customer which doesn't happen every day. Actually I really should give my neighbour's phone no. to head office in case of emergency and talk to my neighbour about it as well, hmm food for thought
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:50 AM

It is indeed, Marian. I think we should all have a fail-safe plan put into place - just in case.

I had such a plan with a friend at the beginning of this year, on another forum. The idea was, that I would make a point of appearing on the forum every night, if only posting once. In the event of my not appearing, I gave her my brother's phone number.

As it turned out, I had the mini-stroke which I've mentioned, but I was able to call my brother before I was taken to hospital and he met me there, but she called him anyway because I hadn't been on the forum, and he explained to her what had happened to me.

I know this conversation is changing slightly, but not really going off-topic.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer in contact with the "friend" I mentioned, and I don't use that forum any longer. I don't feel lonely when I'm on here chatting with folk, and it's good to know that there are genuine folk out there that actually do care about others.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 01:21 AM

I have a good friend, the one who helped me while in hospital, who checks on me. And he notifies you all on here and Catsey if I'm unable to be here ....
not quite on topic also .....
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Yes its definitely a good idea to have a safe plan and I must get my act together and sort one out
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2011, 07:52 PM

See this is what this Forum does best, it makes you think about things that you would perhaps not bother about, Thankyou people.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 08:22 AM

I live in a large house that's been converted into four separate 'flats' - I happen to live on the ground floor so don't have any stairs. There is a basement flat, and my neighbour is very 'handy' with odd jobs etc despite being some years my senior. He has a full set of keys to my place and checks on me from time to time. Whilst I was away on holiday last year he let himself in and repaired my kitchen ceiling where I happened to have a small leak. If I fall or drop something heavy, my neighbour hears it and will come and investigate. In this respect I am very lucky to have my neighbour around.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2011, 04:13 PM

When I bought my house in '65 there was a renter in the attached garage who had a contract that had time to run; so she came with the sale, I hated the idea of having someone "in" my house, and didn't renew the lease when it expired. While I never saw her, I heard her, and it made me uncomfortable. Silly, I suppose, but I just didn't like it.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Where we live most people have someones house keys and I didnt like a neighbour having mine so we asked for it back, and its amazing how much better I felt having done that. We have the key for the man next door whose wife died recently but only ever go in when he is out so Lottie (westie) can go in the garden for ablutions.I dont go I hasten to add Joe goes as he gets on with Lottie.She is getting over her mothers death now.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Hi Mollie - when can I move in?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I am in a similar situation and have no family at all apart from my cousin in Jersey. I would never consider sharing my house though its mine and my dogs and that is that. I do have dog walkers though so on work days they would alert someone if they found me in a bad way but Fri - Sun I am on my own and I would have to manage somehow. I do have friends I could call though.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top