Join for free
Page 4 of 21 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 10:07 AM

Re: Proud to be English

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
British has become far too all encompassing.
Yes. Much better to be Scot............
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 10:16 AM

An interesting subject for me with my ancestry.

Being born in England nevertheless I have both English and Israeli nationality and if I wanted to could apply for and probably get Russian nationality as could my wife.

However I gladly embrace English nationality and even after having been round the block a few times there is nowhere that I consider better to live than England especially if we could drain the swamp that immigration has created. A swamp filled with illegals, colonists, bogus asylum seekers, and parasites on our benefit systems.

I am immensely proud of both my English and Israeli nationality and the history of both nations.

Wales and Scotland? Like the curates egg. Ulster? Great place great people and the infamous Ulster Fry is a thing to die for (or probably from!).
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?
I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.
I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
Wheres Wessex??
BT W Devo, it is IMPOSSIBLE for ANY person to have any input
in t
heir history!! LOL😁😁

Oooh forgot to sign!!
Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Where's Wessex??
BTW Devo, it is IMPOSSIBLE for ANY person to have any input
in their history!! LOL😁😁

Oooh forgot to sign!!
Donkeyman!
See link below this extract from it if you wish for more information:

Wessex, one of the kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England, whose ruling dynasty eventually became kings of the whole country. In its permanent nucleus, its land approximated that of the modern counties of Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire, and Somerset. At times its land extended north of the River Thames, and it eventually expanded westward to cover Devon and Cornwall. The name Wessex is an elision of the Old English form of “West Saxon.”

https://www.britannica.com/place/Wes...orical-kingdom
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Oops sorry OGF. That would include me as well.
Not at all scot, Besoeker gave a one line answer and didn't specify what he was....

Personally, I'm proud to be English and also proud to be British. Over the years the UK has achieved some amazing things in order to arrive at this point in time, and the wonderful country we all call home (warts and all). It has only achieved this by the combined efforts of the Scotts, Welsh and Irish. Together we are a force to be reckoned with and have proved it many times throughout history, defeating foes far bigger and better equipped than us. Tis the British spirit and our determination to laugh in the face of defeat....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 11:16 AM

I arrived, in the world, in Lancashire.

I can claim to be proud to be English, but, although my father was Northumberland (born & Bred) , my Mother was Scottish (part of a clan).

Then add to the mix my late wife, who was of Irish Descent, and suddenly I feel a bit more worldly than English.

Never mind, I don't think I'm alone in having a mix!

As far as luck goes, it would be mathematically easier to be born into one of those very heavy populations in which starvation is not too far away.

So lucky = YES.

Complacent = NO.

Maybe England is near top of the list, for reincarnations, like religions in some other Races/Religions.

Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 11:20 AM

Born and raised in the beating heart of England.
I am proud of the people who forged my heritage.

Yamyam first. English second.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I have never understood national pride. I feel pride if I do something worth being proud about. I cannot feel pride in an accident of birth putting me in England, an England whose collective history exists without any input from me. How can I d-feel pride?
I am extremely lucky to have lived in Devon for over 20 years with all the wonderful things it has to offer but it doesn't fill me with pride when I partake of them.
I am a Wessex man and I appreciate what that means whenever I go back to Wessex but pride? Hardly.
National pride is more about the recognition of the struggles of your ancestors who strove to make England/Britain the place it is now. The schools, the NHS, the inventions and the wars that were fought for the freedoms you now enjoy and allow you to write down your opinions on this forum without fear of persecution.

You were not an accident of birth Devo, you were borne out of a long line of ancestors carrying your DNA, you couldn't possibly have been born to anyone else. And without the benefits of love and education from your parents who have made you into the sceptical person you have turned out to be, you would have been a different person completely...Be proud of your heritage at least! It just happens to be BRITISH....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Born and raised in the beating heart of England.
I am proud of the people who forged my heritage.

Yamyam first. English second.
Oi'm proud ta say, that mecks two ov we then, Tregonsee.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Wales and Scotland?
Excellent seafood from the Hebrides.

Page 4 of 21 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top