Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Re: Pies

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
We've got Birchalls Pies in St Helens. They are a Pork Butchers who make their own pies. Most people take a Plastic tub to carry the pies home in as there is so much juice in them when they are still warm.. They still have queues outside for the pies Mmmmmm! I used to work in Yates Greer many moons ago & their pies are lovely as well. We're nearly as well known as Wigan for being Pie eaters
Its ages since I had one though. I'm not keen on Greggs or Galloways ones though. It Birchalls every time
They sound similar to what we used to have from Poole's Pies until Dave Whelan, owner of Wigan Rugby and Football took it over then messed around with the recipes - IDIOT! They were others you had to drink before you could eat but guess what? I has the recipe!
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
They sound similar to what we used to have from Poole's Pies until Dave Whelan, owner of Wigan Rugby and Football took it over then messed around with the recipes - IDIOT! They were others you had to drink before you could eat but guess what? I has the recipe!
Mollie. Dave Whelan used to have the Supermarket in St Helens (bottom of our Street) which is now Morrisons. I think he started off there & eventually sold out to Morrisons
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Got quite a few pie shops here as well, and a 'Pound Bakery' has just opened....2 pies for a £1!!! Never tried them myself, but apparently they are very good. Not often I'll have a pie, but when my Brother comes up to visit, he always calls at my local Halls Bakery and brings me a 'Butter Pie' (just potato) for dinner....enjoy it as a one off....
We've a few of those as well here Merz, and I've never tried one yet, but I am told that they're good. Give 'em a whirl and let me know what they're like.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
We've a few of those as well here Merz, and I've never tried one yet, but I am told that they're good. Give 'em a whirl and let me know what they're like.
Just for you Mollie, I'll try them and let you know. Wouldn't be able to eat 2 pies though.... wonder if they'll sell me one for 50p?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 12:28 AM

We have a Greenhalgh's near us, they are good pies, I used to get a lot of pies from Liveseys in St Helens, a long time since.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

03-12-2011, 12:50 AM

Lynne, Dave Whelan started off after finishing playing with Whelan's Supermarket in Wigan and it was a cracker, so mayhap he opened a shop in St Helens as well soon after. This was in the 60s.

Apparently he got a few thousand quid pay-off due to a knee injury so went into business and it all took off from there and he's now a millionaire, but he should NOT have changed the recipe to Pooles' Pies which had been in Wigan for nigh on 50 or more years.

Merz, I'd be glad to hear of what the pies are like. You could buy two for £1 then freeze the other one.

Jimmy, Greenhalgh's give me stomach ache. I only discovered that because after I'd eaten one of their pies I was doubled over with stomach pains, but they do taste good. They put summat in them that doesn't agree with me.

Pooles' Pie Shops used to have folk queuing halfway down the road and Jimmy will confirm that they used to have a little cafe right near the two train stations in Wigan, and it was gorgeous. The pastry was made using the hot-water method and was so thin you could barely pick them up or they'd collapse, then you had to drink the meat pies first. Absolutely deeeelish.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 09:16 AM

Just for you Mollie, I'll try them and let you know. Wouldn't be able to eat 2 pies though.... wonder if they'll sell me one for 50p

Merz darlin' - send me t'other one - I'll eat it!!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Tripe is dog food as far as I am concerned. Horrid stuff for humans - yuck
The tripe I feed my dog sometimes is green tripe DogLover - All my dogs have loved it, but the smell is unbelievable

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
I love Tongue I get some every week for sandwiches. Preferably Ox
I can't eat anything that has been in an animal's mouth - I'll have a boied egg please
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 02:34 PM

I can't eat anything that has been in an animal's mouth - I'll have a boied egg please

Rena darlin' - that's very funny when you consider where an egg comes from. Personally I don't care either way, Ox tongue or egg, I'll eat both. I also eat Ox hearts too and liver and bacon casserole is also delightful.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

Rena darlin' - that's very funny when you consider where an egg comes from. Personally I don't care either way, Ox tongue or egg, I'll eat both. I also eat Ox hearts too and liver and bacon casserole is also delightful.
An oldie but still makes me smile, Uncle Joe
Like you, I also like tongue, eggs, liver, kidney, heart and oxtail (both the latter make beautiful gravy).
I draw the line at tripes, brains and the bits from the nether regions though.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top