Join for free
Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Re: Coronavirus: 'Covidiots' criticised on Tui quarantine flight

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So all of the breathable air on airliners isn't continually recirculated throughout the whole aircraft then?
I watched a documentary a while back JB, and it was how the recirculated air on passenger aircraft had caused an increase in Tuberculosis. All but eradicated from the UK, but some passengers had been infected while flying with someone who had brought it onto the aircraft and after tracking down all of the passengers, it was found that all those who had sat close to an air vent had also contracted the disease. Frightening!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:50 AM

I remember that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You're all missing the point that covid is a conspiracy created by the extinction rebellion against the use of aircraft.
I don't believe in the 'Conspiracy' Dex, but grounding all of the aircraft except for military and medical use sounds like a brilliant idea. We should learn to make more use of the facilities in our own countries and become more self sustainable. Cargo ships should also be reduced to a minimum.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I remember that.
Thanks Glanny, it was a while back now but I never forgot the implications implied. I suspect it would be a near perfect method of spreading Covid19. I'm just surprised that one of the major sources of the spread of the disease has been allowed to continue. There was no hesitation to stop cruise ship from operating, and I believe they are all still parked up Idle.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Not having flown recently, I'm not sure what anti-virus procedures the airlines have initiated but air circulation on modern aircraft does not, on its' own, accelerate COVID-19 transmission. The more like reasons for transmission are caused by lack of social distancing and poor personal hygiene.

AFAIK, most "popular" airlines have abandoned "middle-seat" restrictions so many passengers will be seated immediately next to a stranger. Enclosed spaces and human proximity are the perfect environment for the spread of COVID-19.

If some passengers are not adopting recommended mask usage protocol then transmission of the virus, if present, is inevitable. From my experience of people's use of masks/face coverings while shopping I deduce that many haven't a clue about proper use, with many putting them on/taking them off multiple times, with unwashed/unsterilised hands and some, I have been told, putting masks (even disposable ones) in a pocket for reuse later.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:13 AM

So in essence that's what I wrote but in a great deal more detail?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You're all missing the point that covid is a conspiracy created by the extinction rebellion against the use of aircraft.
Do you SERIOUSLY believe that - or are you just 'avin a giraffe?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Not having flown recently, I'm not sure what anti-virus procedures the airlines have initiated but air circulation on modern aircraft does not, on its' own, accelerate COVID-19 transmission. The more like reasons for transmission are caused by lack of social distancing and poor personal hygiene.

AFAIK, most "popular" airlines have abandoned "middle-seat" restrictions so many passengers will be seated immediately next to a stranger. Enclosed spaces and human proximity are the perfect environment for the spread of COVID-19.

If some passengers are not adopting recommended mask usage protocol then transmission of the virus, if present, is inevitable. From my experience of people's use of masks/face coverings while shopping I deduce that many haven't a clue about proper use, with many putting them on/taking them off multiple times, with unwashed/unsterilised hands and some, I have been told, putting masks (even disposable ones) in a pocket for reuse later.
Surely though Omah, the reason why enclosed spaces are so dangerous is down to the fact that you will breathe in contaminated air. The same air being recirculated around the cabin. In the documentary I referred to, it was suggested that although the recirculated air was filtered, things like viruses were to small to be extracted and were still present in the recirculated air, hence the rapid spread of TB.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-09-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Do you SERIOUSLY believe that - or are you just 'avin a giraffe?
I think he was havin' a laugh Todger. After all, the Extinction Rebellion would be shafted without being able to fly and attend another protest somewhere...It certainly would have clipped Greta's wings.....She would have had to resort to being a keyboard warrior like the rest of us mortals...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Surely though Omah, the reason why enclosed spaces are so dangerous is down to the fact that you will breathe in contaminated air. The same air being recirculated around the cabin. In the documentary I referred to, it was suggested that although the recirculated air was filtered, things like viruses were to small to be extracted and were still present in the recirculated air, hence the rapid spread of TB.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ronavirus-cvd/

Most, but not all, commercial aircraft are equipped with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters. That means that, on HEPA-equipped planes, the airflow “mirrors the laminar airflow of an operating room with no or minimal crossover of air streams,” says Dr. Bjoern Becker of the Lufthansa Group of airlines. “Air is pumped from the ceiling into the cabin at a speed of about a yard per second and sucked out again below the window seats.”

About 40 percent of a cabin’s air gets filtered through this HEPA system; the remaining 60 percent is fresh and piped in from outside the plane. “Cabin air is completely changed every three minutes, on average, while the aircraft is cruising,” says Becker.

Officially, certified HEPA filters “block and capture 99.97 percent of airborne particles over 0.3 micron in size,” says Tony Julian, an air-purifying expert with RGF Environmental Group. The efficiency of these filters, perhaps counterintuitively, increases for even smaller particles. So while the exhaled globs that carry SARS-CoV-2 can be quite small, HEPA filters effectively remove the vast majority from the air.

HEPA’s 99.97 percent filtration effectiveness sounds reassuring, and airline execs count on that. But the biggest problem with those systems, says Bates, is that the “filter only guarantees the quality of the air that has passed through it. If the air that someone breathes in has not gone through that filter, then those numbers don’t matter.” This means everyone onboard should wear a mask
There's actually more danger of contamination while embarking/disembarking when the filters are not running at full efficiency. Then, of course, there's more danger in the airport's public areas if social distancing/frequent sanitising are not being implemented.

Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top