Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2020, 11:59 AM

Re: How Do I Blow My Nose When Wearing A Mask

How long does Coronavirus survive on different surfaces?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41407-020-0313-1

Cardboard
The New England Journal of Medicine recently published a study that tested how long the Coronavirus can remain stable on different kinds of surfaces within a controlled laboratory setting. They found that it was still detectable on cardboard for up to 24 hours. This is also a good indicator for other porous material like cardboard, such as fabric and paper.

Copper
Supermarkets and pharmacies are encouraging contactless payment. This decision was taken to reduce the exchange of germs on money and eliminate unnecessary hand touching. Scientists found that active particles of Coronavirus lasted up to 4 hours on copper alloys (such as 1 and 2p coins).

Plastic, stainless steel and counter tops

Coronavirus can survive on plastic, stainless steel and countertops as a functional and infectious virus for up to 72 hours (3 days ), the longest of all the materials. This is the general rule for hard, shiny surfaces. This can include children's play equipment, public transport handles and your mobile phone.

The virus does degrade over time, but you should avoid touching surfaces in shared spaces and wash your hands regularly.

In the air
A single cough can produce up to 3,000 droplets. It is estimated that the Coronavirus can remain active and possibly infectious for 3 hours in airborne droplets. These droplets can be spread from person to person if people are less than two metres apart, or if you are touching surfaces upon which droplets have landed and have not been disinfected.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2020, 12:18 PM

The virus does degrade over time

This is the part I haven't seen a report for. Can it still replicate when it has been on a surface for three days? It's a bit like us being sent to the top of Everest with no food or oxygen or to the desert. Would you still want to reproduce when you've been fighting to survive in inhospitable conditions?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The virus does degrade over time

This is the part I haven't seen a report for. Can it still replicate when it has been on a surface for three days? It's a bit like us being sent to the top of Everest with no food or oxygen or to the desert. Would you still want to reproduce when you've been fighting to survive in inhospitable conditions?
AFAIK, that's one of the known unknowns.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top