Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:31 PM

Re: Bad deal for fishing !!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
My apologies; I must trim down my rather large collection of links to a more easily-managable level (it was the CFP by the way) but the current blurb is here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fisherie...xit-transition

Feel free to read through for the answers you seek.
Thanks for the amended link Zaphod, and the correction viz CFP
/CFA, I can never remember if it is agreement or policy!!
After scanning through it l spotted what l believe is a major flaw
in that it refers to BRITISH REGISTERED ships/ boats??
Apparently a very large % age of British registered vessels are
foreign owned ??
Surely this is a very large loophole for EU vessels to exploit to their
own advantage ??
The document is almost as complicated as the CFP that preceded
it imo, far too many common access provisions for my liking??
I believe this document can still be evolved?
So let's hope so and it is time for us to start putting some of it into
practice before things become legally common practice??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The recent link you posted Zaphod was the CFA, are you suggesting
that we are still being governed by this document which has always
been a source of confusion and conflict?
It is this "agreement" that largely fomented the anti EU sentiment
within UK??
It obviously hasn't been doing all it sets out to do as super trawlers
have been observed trundling up and down our eastern coast
within our six mile limit for days at a time often encroaching on
conservation areas as well??
These encroachments have been authenticated by groups such as
Greenpeace !! So, what price the CFA ??
Just as an experiment, why don't we assert ourselves by banning
These super trawlers from all our waters as a start? We have the
to do this on enviromental grounds! Oh, l forgot, we are still bound
by the CFA??
The present position in which the EU fishers are still plundering our fishing areas must now be clear to everyone who can read.

Why on earth did Boris sign this stupid agreement, specifically the CFA?

It seems that 'our friends' will have complete freedom to hoover up all they want for the next few years. I wonder how much, if anything, they will be good enough to leave us.

Boris even announced that he'd assigned several new fishery protection vessels. I wonder why. Perhaps they're there to help 'our friends' to locate the most productive fishing areas in our waters.

I've said it before, but Boris has three years now to undo the mess he has agreed to, or face being sacked.
How much will we have left at the end of those three years, though? He needs to act now.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the amended link Zaphod, and the correction viz CFP
/CFA, I can never remember if it is agreement or policy!!
After scanning through it l spotted what l believe is a major flaw
in that it refers to BRITISH REGISTERED ships/ boats??
Apparently a very large % age of British registered vessels are
foreign owned ??
Surely this is a very large loophole for EU vessels to exploit to their
own advantage ??
The document is almost as complicated as the CFP that preceded
it imo, far too many common access provisions for my liking??
I believe this document can still be evolved?
So let's hope so and it is time for us to start putting some of it into
practice before things become legally common practice??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
That appears the sensible approach and it's one that I largely agree with. There's time to right what's wrong, just as there's time for our fishing industry to expand if they choose to and we know that the government are already looking at changes & new laws as well as giving the struggling a bung; it's already underway.

It is a far more sensible approach than those who expect things to be done almost at the flick of a switch.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It is indeed very sad.

The only way to improve the lot of these fishermen is be encouraging us as a nation to eat more of what they catch, and that isn't going to be easy and neither will it happen overnight.
As an island nation we have a tradition of a diet consisting of far more fish that we eat now and I'm not sure how we can change that.
Interestingly the "thriving, bustling" fishing communities of the past were not in recent years and were in times before the industry started exporting abroad too.
I can remember the hustle and bustle was still there 46yrs ago
Zaphod soon after we joined the COMMON MARKET??
So the decline started from about that time ? Coincidence??
The EU did not change things quickly, they did it stealthily And
bit by bit, and before we knew it, Holland owned 70% of our fishing !!
What we see today is the result, a tangled mess of flags of convenience, overlapping fishing areas etc! etc!
It all needs simplifying, on the lines of what's legally mine is mine
What is legally yours is yours??

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If the UK doesn't work on an equivalence basis it would be the end of the Euro.

If I was Boris now, I would accept tarrifs and rip up the trade deal. Its worthless as it does not give businesses any certainty as we have found out over the past few weeks.
Why should we worry about the euro Bread??
Our banking industry want equivalence for obvious reasons?
That is why our fishers have been short changed, again!!
At every stage of brexit , fishing was kicked down the road untill it
became the last item on the list !!
Which is where we are now !!
Banking rules, OK !!

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Why should we worry about the euro Bread??
Our banking industry want equivalence for obvious reasons?
That is why our fishers have been short changed, again!!
At every stage of brexit , fishing was kicked down the road untill it
became the last item on the list !!
Which is where we are now !!
Banking rules, OK !!

Donkeyman! 👎👎👎

Yep I was saying that if the EU didn't give mutual recognition of our regulations their Euro would implode and with it the EU.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 03:52 PM

More bullpoop dreaming about our financial sector?

For a start it has nowt to do with fishing.
Nothing.
At.
All.

Next fishing was front and centre during "negotiations" ever since Boris made it a priority.
Which was before he became PM, I should remind readers.

If the UK was as interested in EU equivalence as some seem to think, maybe they would like to explain the UK/Swiss agreement on trades and their ongoing talks about deepening ties across the finacial sector?
Because as I'm sure they must realise, the EU is extremely unlikely to see this sort of action as conducive to reaching agreement with the UK just as they have already refused it with the Swiss.

I'm not a Boris-lover or a supporter of our government especially; they have many faults (as indeed each and every one of us do).
But when I see illogical and seven sometimes whack-job crazy theories I think it only fair to point out the glaring errors and let others decide.
Who knows; it might even encourage some reasonable posters to contribute more to these threads.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 04:58 PM

Just checked back to John Redwoods Diary and nestled in his tweets are his support for selling more uk shellfish into UK supermarkets which I'm super pleased about.

Go on John you magnificent man you !

(Not surprisingly the remain media make excuses and keep quiet.)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210207-155608_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	14726  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

07-02-2021, 07:42 PM

Well done Jack Stein and the Telegraph for reporting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and...xz9vtnUDMYOZCE
Zaphod
Lincs UK

07-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Just checked back to John Redwoods Diary and nestled in his tweets are his support for selling more uk shellfish into UK supermarkets which I'm super pleased about.

Go on John you magnificent man you !

(Not surprisingly the remain media make excuses and keep quiet.)
I keep saying that even though I live right on the coast I cannot for love nor money buy a fresh British crab or lobster!
So he's right - but then he has long been an advocate for producing more of what we eat ourselves and for manufacturing more of what we use ourselves too, all of which is eminently sensible.

Much more sensible than trying to quickly change peoples' tastes and expecting them to eat things which they're no longer used to eating.
It's no use our farmers or fishermen producing bucketloads of things we don't eat and then moaning when they can neither sell nor export their produce.
No matter what they might try, I'm not going to eat winkles or cockles and the same rationale applies no matter what the reason for a glut.
Sadly the EU has a history of policies which have made our farmers and fishermen used to this sort of over-production, as those who remember the butter mountains; beef mountains; and wine lakes will surely understand.

Some might see rationalisation as throwing these to the wolves, but that is simply not so.
There are opportunities galore as is evident throughout these industries with diversification in abundance.
Rare breed and unusual livestock; higher-welfare and more ecologically-sustainable; sold-direct online and regional delicacies and specialities are all seeing huge growth.
Far better this than see the EU continually chip away with their so-called reforms and ever-changing legislation surely, which has led to so many problems here over the decades with the decimation of UK dairy farming being just one example.

Far from throwing producers to the wolves it is a new opportunity.
We've proven that we can adapt even when we were members of the club; the loss of coal mining and clothing industries did not lead to our collapse and neither did the reduction in our fishing industry following the cod wars or relinquishing the last remnants of a once-huge empire.
Although at times there were inevitably those that suffered because of such changes, as a nation we adapted and continued to grow quite healthily.
Now we are at a time of further change, not just from Brexit but from Covid and from emerging technologies.
Let's look forward to these and continue to adapt and prosper.

As a nation we have become too pampered by the good things in life with even once-expensive and rare foods becoming cheaper and more easily-available over time.
This has led to our obesity problem ("our" as a nation, not necessarily you or I. )

As I have said before; when a whole pack of doughnuts is cheaper than a single apple or a family-sized readymeal lasagne full of salt and sugar is cheaper than making beef shin stew there's something wrong.
It needs to change.

Let's hope that the opportunity we've been given helps us as a nation to do that, because I think most reasonable people know that change is becoming increasingly necessary.
That's why we're seeing a push towards organic etc. etc.
Such a change takes time though.
And you will never, never persuade me to eat winkles or cockles.

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top