Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 06:48 PM

Re: So many are wrong

Marriage problems and how to sort them out, is infinitely more enthralling than when corn was first invented.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Seems odd to me that so many people are completely unable to stick with a thread not go wandering off in some totally unrelated topic. Is it that difficult to hold a specific thought in your head for longer than a minute or so ?

As a reminder, the thread here happens to be corn, not just in the bible but in dozens of novels about ancient times.

I am currently re-reading River God, a story that takes place in ancient Egypt. The author, Wibur Smith makes a dozen or more references to corn growing in the fields or freshly ground corn flour.

Obviously, since corn was unknown in the Middle East/Europe until Columbus' time, that would be impossible.

People, let's try to keep our eye on the ball, shall we ? If we are engaged in a person to person conversation with a friend and our friend is talking about marriage problems and you suddenly start talking about auto mechanics, your friend would think you're nuts.

Or kick one in them!

Where corn is involved it all comes down to the word corn being generic for grains in general for millennia and the misnaming of maize as corn only since the nature of maize fitted the use of the word for grains in general.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Where corn is involved it all comes down to the word corn being generic for grains in general for millennia and the misnaming of maize as corn only since the nature of maize fitted the use of the word for grains in general.
That was pretty much my understanding of the term, and in particular in relation to its bread making properties.

I don't really attach too much importance to a translation aimed at the generic concept rather than the specific details.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:38 PM

Yeah but the point is ... when the major bible translation was done half a millennium ago, wheat, barley, oats were called corn. Across the pond the corn word means something else, and they've been a bit slow to recognise their bastardisations are not bigger than the bible.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yeah but the point is ... when the major bible translation was done half a millennium ago, wheat, barley, oats were called corn. Across the pond the corn word means something else, and they've been a bit slow to recognise their bastardisations are not bigger than the bible.
I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but is that really true ? All grains were generically referred to as corn ? Even as far back as in the days of the Romans ? Or is that merely the church attempting to cover up a gross error ?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 08:04 PM

Seems odd to me that so many people are completely unable to stick with a thread
I would say unwilling, rather than unable. A thread needs to be about something interesting, and its author have at least a clue about that of which he speaks, before it is entitled to demand attention.

I am currently re-reading River God, a story that takes place in ancient Egypt. The author, Wibur Smith makes a dozen or more references to corn growing in the fields or freshly ground corn flour.

Obviously, since corn was unknown in the Middle East/Europe until Columbus' time, that would be impossible.
You have been corrected several times on this error of yours, yet you insist on perpetuating it. "Corn" can mean any number of cereals, it does not exclusively mean maize. Please write that sentence out one hundred times and present it to the forum first thing tomorrow.

your friend would think you're nuts.
I think you are nuts, but we're not really friends, are we?

I know for a fact that Bakerman ignores my posts, so, unless someone brings this to his attention, he will probably never see it. I for one, think that would be a tragedy.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 08:14 PM

I'm not trying to be a wise guy,
Yes, I've noticed how effortlessly it comes to you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Threads very rarely keep to the topic, and sometimes the deviation provides some very interesting and seldom known facts, as it did in this case with Dex's insertion. I found it fascinating Dex, thank you, and your explanation did not fall on deaf ears......
Harbal
South Yorkshire

15-06-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Threads very rarely keep to the topic, and sometimes the deviation provides some very interesting and seldom known facts, as it did in this case with Dex's insertion. I found it fascinating Dex, thank you,
I have made lots of interesting insertions since I've been here; Foxy, yet you have never thanked me. I thought we had something, Foxy; maybe I was wrong.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 08:30 PM

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but is that really true ? All grains were generically referred to as corn ? Even as far back as in the days of the Romans ? Or is that merely the church attempting to cover up a gross error ?
Lord knows. Google says maize is fruit not grain. And they should know.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top