Join for free
Page 40 of 60 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Re: The Supernatural

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I thought this link Here sort of explained that most are fearful of death, lets be honest none of us wants to go, not even me.
I think the quantum Physics professor is probably not easy to understand, but he seems to think there is no death, just a process we go through, but don't know whats on the other side.
I'm sure very few of us "want to go" but that is nowhere near the same as being afraid to go. I'd prefer to stay alive (as long as I still had my facilities) but the idea of death holds no fear whatever.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm sure very few of us "want to go" but that is nowhere near the same as being afraid to go. I'd prefer to stay alive (as long as I still had my facilities) but the idea of death holds no fear whatever.
And it still gives zero credence to the suggestion that sceptics are somehow more fearful of death…I guess I'll never know where that came from. It feels a bit like a child asking its parent 'why?' and being told 'because I said so'.

Sorry, Wrinkly, I still don't understand but forget it for now. I can live in ignorance!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I thought this link Here sort of explained that most are fearful of death, lets be honest none of us wants to go, not even me.
I think the quantum Physics professor is probably not easy to understand, but he seems to think there is no death, just a process we go through, but don't know whats on the other side.
Wrinky you are the one who keeps raising the issue of fear of death not the skeptics, doesn't that tell you something.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 08:50 PM

It is my belief that if someone who had experienced a supernatural event would pass a lie detector test, because it would appear very real to that person, or persons.
In the same way that a mirage or a hallucination appears real. More than one person can also experience the same event in the same way that 'mass hysteria' can take over a whole group of people. Perfectly demonstrated by illusionists such as 'Dynamo' who claimed to levitate the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio. Or David Copperfields illusion of making the 'Statue of Liberty' disappear. How could Hypnotism take place if it wasn't possible to 'Fool the Senses' every person in the audience of the illusionists would most certainly have passed a Lie detector test; but we all accept that these were illusions showing how easy it is to alter ones perception of an event. In my opinion there is sufficient evidence out there to provide explanations to every supernatural event. And if you are true to yourself, you know it too. But I still enjoy a spooky story, and each spooky story will remain plausible in the mind of the believer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 12:45 AM

Anyone see the science programme on telly tonight called "Which Universe are we in?" The Scientists were discussing multi-universes. It seems notion, once dismissed as fantasy, is now "an idea at the cutting edge of science."
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Anyone see the science programme on telly tonight called "Which Universe are we in?" The Scientists were discussing multi-universes. It seems notion, once dismissed as fantasy, is now "an idea at the cutting edge of science."
Same thoughts here Mups - forever changing views
My views have never changed because I 'experienced' them
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I didn't but I can see that would be a credible notion I always wondered what happens if we take different decisions.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 09:16 AM

The problem I have with this supernatural 'stuff' (based on my own experiences) is this ...

I lived alone for many years and if I watched a spooky horror film I would invariably start seeing ghosts all over the bloody place. Now what was that all about? Had I become attuned to my native spiritualist tendencies by watching said film(s), or, was it my imagination?

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 09:32 AM

I think you can scare yourself into seeing things that is true but in many cases where the person is not scared something else has to be going on. My experience neither of us were even remotely nervous we were just concerned to get the job done and get home.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Horror films never bothered me, the most frightening one I ever saw was the Exorcist and I think that was because it had to do with the mind, the soul if you like, when things go haywire in the mind it can be really a terrifying experience for anyone. My older brother and me were mainly raised by our country grandmother and she used to tell us ghost stories at bedtime, today she probably would be locked up for that, but I’m glad she did because it rendered me immune to horror films, I find them comical most of the time now.
On the other hand my youngest brother, who never spent any time with the grandmother, is terrified of any horror film, even today and he’s 58! So there is proof that it's what you experience when you are very young will effect you later on, even into old age.

Page 40 of 60 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top