Join for free
Page 41 of 79 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Re: Junior Doctors strike.....

IT was important to the famillies of the 96 people who died there who have fought for this for 27 years ( I have started a thread on this )

Yes the hospitals appear to be coping .
Not a result that will please those on strike.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
IT was important to the famillies of the 96 people who died there who have fought for this for 27 years ( I have started a thread on this )
The point I was trying to make was not that this matter is unimportant, but that it has been the sole subject of the TV news for 24 hours now, at least whenever I have turned on the news.
I do understand, of course, that when something so newsworthy comes along, nothing else of any importance seems to happen in the world!

I just wonder whether, should the Chilcot report ever manage to be finalised and publicised, an entire day's news might be assigned to reporting Blair's criminality. We seem to have been waiting for a similar length of time for it, anyway.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Yes the hospitals appear to be coping .
Not a result that will please those on strike.
I think you may be wrong. Those on strike will be pleased that their forward planning has been successful.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 02:00 AM

This is interesting from yesterdays Daily Mail:-

WHAT IS THE STRIKE REALLY ABOUT?

Doctors and ministers are entrenched in a stalemate position over plans to introduce new contracts for junior doctors in England.
Jeremy Hunt wants new rules to make it easier and cheaper for him to improve cover at NHS weekends.
But negotiations with the BMA union have been dragging on since 2012 – and Mr Hunt now insists that he will push on with or without doctors’ agreement.
The proposed contract offers junior doctors...

A 13.5 per cent increase in basic salary;
No junior doctor to work more than 72 hours a week (down from 91);
Hours on a Saturday between 7am and 7pm will be paid at a normal rate, down from the premium doctors currently receive;
Guaranteed pay increases linked to time served to be scrapped and replaced with pay linked to training progression;
99 per cent of junior doctors guaranteed not to lose pay for the first three years.

(Sounds a good deal to me!)

But the doctors...

Do not want to give up their higher rate of pay for 7am until 7pm on Saturdays;
Want more flexibility for doctors with families;
Demand that the Government admits it can only achieve its plans for a seven-day service by increasing both staff and budget.
Say the Government’s own impact assessment found the contract would ‘discriminate’ against women, particularly single mothers, because of the increased cost of evening childcare.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz46z3SMwal

In my opinion.
Get back to work!

Jeremy Hunt the walkout will have an ‘unprecedented impact’ – with more than 110,000 outpatient appointments and 12,500 operations cancelled. Junior doctors are furious at plans to impose deals that will see them work more weekends for less pay.

In the Commons, Mr Hunt acknowledged their ‘frustration’. But he said doctors already receive more Saturday pay than ‘nearly every other worker in the public and private sectors’.

‘No trade union has the right to veto a manifesto promise voted for by the British people,’ he said. ‘I wish to appeal directly to all junior doctors not to withdraw emergency cover, which creates particular risks for A&Es, maternity units and intensive care units.’
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:48 AM

Excellant post Kenny. Most of the pictures that I have seen on TV News, shows the Pickets all laughing, and seem to be treating it as a joke.

One doctor, who has already resigned over it, has stated he is on the way to New Zealand to work. A British doctor working in New Zealand had a letter posted in the Telegraph yesterday advising him to turn around and go back to England. It was stated that New Zealand introduced the same scheme over 20 years ago, and the offer to doctors in England, far outways what they get in New Zealand.

Arthur
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:00 AM

My son is a junior Doctor in New Zealand , he has been there for nine years . Don't know what his terms and conditions of work are there but he is very happy . As are all the other British people working beside him .
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I think you may be wrong. Those on strike will be pleased that their forward planning has been successful.
I might venture to disagree with that. It is more likely the results of forward planning by the NHS management staff and the Consultants which proved successful in damage limitation.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:36 AM

Abbey, i have been to New Zealand several times, and were my wife and I younger, we would be very happy to live there. As regards the Junior Doctors, the one who posted the letter did not say he was unhappy there, he was just pointing out that the deal offered in England is far better than the deal they get in NZ, where 7 day rostering is the norm, with the pay working out to be less.

Arthur
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
Abbey, i have been to New Zealand several times, and were my wife and I younger, we would be very happy to live there. As regards the Junior Doctors, the one who posted the letter did not say he was unhappy there, he was just pointing out that the deal offered in England is far better than the deal they get in NZ, where 7 day rostering is the norm, with the pay working out to be less.

Arthur
I saw that too and thought much the same Old Supporter.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

The only thing that's been on the TV news today is that hearing about the Hillsborough football ground.

Perhaps a number of people did die, but the football story was deemed to be more important!
Twenty seven years, 10 days and 20 hours of establishment lies and cover up.
You think this is unimportant and shouldn't be front-page news?

The strike is going well because of forward planning.
Something that was shamefully absent at Hillsborough.

Maybe 96 people will die today as a direct result of bungling by the hospitals and nurses and doctors...

...but I rather doubt it.

Page 41 of 79 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top