Join for free
Page 45 of 58 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 03:02 AM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 1)

Family Dissolution

Me Da he loved his drippin butts
Jam and cream filled pasteries
He smoked his woodbines every day
They took him all too soon one day

Me Ma she was a canny lass
Life in moderation
She survived him two decades more
Long wait at heavenly station

Me Bros was ‘baby’ of the house
A bubblin, laughin, larrikin
They came to take him far too soon
Cursed by an “immune sin”

So I remain with dear old Sis
Wondering still who will go next?
God it’s goin to be so quite then
The family curtain has been rent

My old dog ; part dingo strain
Keeps goin on through monsoonal rains
Her whiskers now are grayish white
But she’s ready for golf links at light

Think as E.C once exclaimed
I’m at the ‘crossroads’ of the game
But crossroads are further down the track
No matter what you can’t come back

© Gumbud
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:38 PM

It's always a treat to come back and catch up on what you folks have been writing, great stuff that gladdens me heart.

Not long back from a funeral in Dundalk.
I have to say I enjoyed old Annie’s wake, she hung in there till she was 95 and enjoyed every minute of her life, she only gave up the smokes when she was 90! she still drank a large bottle (holds 1 pint) of guinness every night, her medicine she used to call it, many's the night we spent talkin and laughin in the Ring of Feathers, fare de well in the divine Kingdom Annie me auld girl.

To she her lying there
Without a worry or care
A smile across her old white face
Dignified and full of grace
She’ll be happy in the knowledge that
The neighbours will look after her Cat
Goodbye dear Annie the engine is revin’
You’re in the late coffin for heaven.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 06:03 PM

I’m a sucker for odd happenings, coincidences and suchlike. Stuff that brings out the “you couldn’t make it up” response.

I went across the road Tuesday morning to J.Sainsbury & co.
Hovering at the green man crossing for a bit longer than I imagined an old man on an invalid carriage came by me, winked & smiled , pressed the button & the traffic stopped instantly.
Speeding off up the road he waved & laughed loudly.
Then the second strange thing occurred . I picked up a few items & idly unscrewed the ten pound note languishing in my pocket. The goods came to exactly £10, how amazing is that.

The third thing that happened was our evening meal, I had bribed the chef to prepare “Tournedos Rossini” . Not on his menu.
It was superb. And so to bed, but not before we paid the bill, exactly
£70. Another round figure, amazing outcome..

Today, the shopping came to £7.34 & I narrowly avoided being run over by a taxi. REG plate number 666.
Never a dull moment eh?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Not to worry RJ, you did enjoy your “Tournedos Rossini” anyway, these little coincidences are sent to shake our faith in mathematics or whatever.
I hear when it comes to ‘Black Holes’ all the laws of physics go out the window and it’s back to the drawing board again, I actually heard on TV two experts admit they are completed baffled, they can't understand it, it's a mystery to them all, how refreshing is that. My answer to that is very simple, it's a mystery and your not supposed to understand it.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 07:07 PM

What did Churchill sayy?

"A puzzle wrapped up in a mystery..................". forgot the rest..

We're in our new apartment now & nurse Gillian still thinks we're on holiday.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-05-2015, 07:33 PM

I sincerely wish you and your lovely Lady health happiness and long life in the new place RJ.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 11:07 PM

The work life balance
Depicts someones Stance
A holiday in France
Graft like Jack Palance
Work in Ergo
Laze incognito
Hump in flagrante delicto
Remorse in Tesco
I don't know
Do you know.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2015, 02:30 AM

The night is endless for some
Sleep so needed eludes
Longing for deep sleep to come
Bumps in the night intrude

Eyelids grow heavy and closing
Brain goes into trance like state
Nearly dropped off, a close thing
In this unreal catatonic state

Its 2.19 am . I hope this gibberish doesnt embarrass me at dawn. My inner time clock has become fractured.

A confession from the late 1990s when msn chatrooms were de rigueur. All closed long ago . I persuaded some Yanks that Brits liked to be greeted with"Hello Bumface"
I truly don't know what get's in to me.
BTW, there was a to-do when this disinfoirmation was
tried out
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I’m a sucker for odd happenings, coincidences and suchlike. Stuff that brings out the “you couldn’t make it up” response.

I went across the road Tuesday morning to J.Sainsbury & co.
Hovering at the green man crossing for a bit longer than I imagined an old man on an invalid carriage came by me, winked & smiled , pressed the button & the traffic stopped instantly.
Speeding off up the road he waved & laughed loudly.
Then the second strange thing occurred . I picked up a few items & idly unscrewed the ten pound note languishing in my pocket. The goods came to exactly £10, how amazing is that.

The third thing that happened was our evening meal, I had bribed the chef to prepare “Tournedos Rossini” . Not on his menu.
It was superb. And so to bed, but not before we paid the bill, exactly
£70. Another round figure, amazing outcome..

Today, the shopping came to £7.34 & I narrowly avoided being run over by a taxi. REG plate number 666.
Never a dull moment eh?
I do hope he included wild mushrooms, some slivers of truffle and of course red wine?

Ah now you have me thinking we could do an odd moments section - serendipity ?

today i awoke at 3am I think and reached for the Tv guide - often classic films on then and sometimes rubbish - but today "the thomas crown affair" - fay dunaway and steve Mcqueen in the original 1968 - there has been a remake with pierce bronsan and rene russo 1999 which I haven't seen but the original was a classic for me - superb acting from both stars ; great filming and production and of course steve Mcqueen gets to ride his beach buggy in dangerous situations.

I have never been a great fan of either but this became an oasis in a desert of otherwise b/w rubbish. and in this film fay does not get her man although she does get tasty samples!

then back to bed and got up late for dog walking - the golfers were already on the links so a settled for a deserted 5 acre property around the corner and gave her a quick run there.

I do hope some more serendipity comes along!

anything could happen of course - I have a selection of waterholes - good old WW who always have a bargain - you must shop daily to find the bargains. PO of course there may be a box of cigars for me! - library I will give a miss -to small to even swing a cat in and always empty.

second hand book shop could be exciting and me old mate Bill who fixes me car whilst I mow his lawn. home for lunch and a extra dry tooheys ale - bingo!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 05:04 AM

Apropo of nothing,I just had a thought.
[I do,sometimes]

The Great Wall Of China....always vaunted as a great feat of human engineering,requiring several dynasties to work together,to get it built. 5,500 miles of wall,from Hushan,to Gansu. Yes,ok-very well done,chaps. BUT...

5,500 miles of wall-and not ONE single cashpoint in the whole length!

Page 45 of 58 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top