Join for free
Page 45 of 79 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:23 AM

Re: Murder by Police - George Floyd

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Edward Colston was not merely a slave owner; he was a slave trader who profited millions upon millions of todays dollars from the buying , transporting and sale of tens of thousands of human beings. Many thousands died on the Atlantic crossing. As such, he was no better than Reinhard Heydrich, Chief of the SS Reich Security office.

People have, for many years, attempted to have Colston's statue removed. All attempts have failed. Now the people have, in their frustration, pulled it down.

Anyone who is proud of and supports the maintaining a statue of such a man should be ashamed.
Bakerman Edward Colston was a slave trader that is true but he did a lot for the poor people of Bristol and left all his wealth to the City so there is great controversy .Many roads and public buildings are named after him it was three hundred years ago ..The entire city grew because of the slave trade it can’t be torn down. There is a large Somalian population in Bristol mainly refugees and immigrants they have found refuge in Bristol .Its a beautiful vibrant place a university city for students from all over the word
The mayor of Bristol ( hi self the son of a Jamaican immigrant ) and his deputy are both black so it’s not a place where black people are discriminated against .
Today slavery is still carried out mainly in Africa .
Black on black slavery seems to have been forgotten .

The artist Banksey has suggested the statue be partially resurrected like this to suit all . I think it’s a good idea

https://news.sky.com/story/banksy-re...istol-12003505
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The past is the past, we cannot rewrite history.

If slavery is is the issue, why are they not targeting Black on Black very or Arab on Black slavery.

If it is about crime, why are that not targetting Black on Black Killings here in the UK?

One law for them and one law for us.

Here in the UK they kill themselves far more often than whites kill blacks.
History can be rewritten. How ? By telling the simple truth.

Slavery is not, repeat not, the issue. The issue is murder committed by the very people who are expected to protect us.

Some vandals, unable to have any impact on police brutality, take out their frustrations on a statue. I'm not so sure they are wrong in doing so because if we erect statues of slave traffickers and honor them in doing so, we are telling the world it is acceptable behavior. No wonder the police think the way they do.

Racism is endemic in many countries. Everything can not be changed at once. Currently, the most egregious acts are committed by the police, ie cold-blooded murder. Stop that from happening and you move on to the next most egregious acts.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:33 AM

But we are not like that in the UK .
Generally speaking the police don’t murder people
Most don’t carry guns.
The police - police by consent .
I don’t know anyone who is a racist most people are very tolerant colour is not a problem .
But it is now much of the sympathy for the BLM cause was lost with these riots .
Attacking the police horse and it’s rider ( a young woman who was badly injured ) caused utter repulsion here .
The sight of that poor terrified animal galloping through the streets was horrible to see .
Damaging public property is an absolute no no in this country .
We have to pay for it !
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But we are not like that in the UK .
I don’t know anyone who is a racist most people are very tolerant colour is not a problem .
Really ? Have you been keeping up with all of the racist comments posted ? Sure sounds to me like racism is endemic in the U.K.

I'm not suggesting that the U.S. is free of racism. Quite the opposite. Racism here is alive and thriving.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Really ? Have you been keeping up with all of the racist comments posted ? Sure sounds to me like racism is endemic in the U.K.

I'm not suggesting that the U.S. is free of racism. Quite the opposite. Racism here is alive and thriving.
Racist comments....where?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-06-2020, 07:51 AM

I honestly think that most British people are not racists .
Especially in the way that things are in America .
We have never had Apartheid or Jim Crow laws .
So we don’t have that legacy .
bakerman
Mexico

10-06-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by reg ->
Racist comments....where?
Those comments are posted all over the place in various threads. If you have nothing special to do today, take a look, you will be shocked. I sure was.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:44 AM

That rather depends on the definition of racism. For example to state the simple undeniable truth that races are equal in every way is utter nonsense.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:14 AM

I've been shocked and saddened by some of the racial insults on this thread but it is pretty much all just one person and it's not endemic in our society these days. Some people live in the past and want to go back in time but the average adult with normal psychological development does not repeat the views of their parents. There are exceptions of course...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:20 AM

I just want to ask this:-
How many words and symbols can you think of that we are not allowed to use anymore for fear of upsetting Black people?

And now, how many words and symbols can you think of that we are not allowed to use anymore for fear of upsetting white folks?

It strikes me that some black people are just a bit too temperamental.....

Page 45 of 79 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top