Join for free
Page 47 of 50 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Re: Brexit and the EU

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Worryingly, Christopher Booker (Telegraph) was writing (today)about the Grenfell Tragedy.

There was much, in there, about what was actually being looked at and the focus "Should have been" what caused the fire to spread?

To cut a long story longer he said the following:-

"As technical tests after previous similar fires had shown, once the insulation had ignited, a gap between it and
the walls of the building would create a “chimney effect”, sending the flames roaring up the tower within minutes.

This had been noted by a committee of MPs as far back as 1999, when they were looking into an earlier tower block
tragedy. They recommended that the Buildings Research Laboratory should devise a proper fire safety test, based
not on testing all the materials used in refurbishing tower blocks individually, but on how they would behave
when combined in situ. What emerged was a new British Standard: BS8414.

But, in 2002, the EU passed new laws that, thanks to its obsession with the need to combat climate change, made the better insulation of buildings, considered responsible for 40 per cent of all CO2 emissions, the top priority.

These overruled the use of the new UK safety standard, leaving BS8414 as a voluntary option – hence the introduction
of new forms of cheaper plastic foam insulation, which were to be used in thousands of tower blocks, including, in 2014, Grenfell Tower."

If that's true, the Eu overrode the British Standard, put in place to prevent further fires, and the EU caused that standard to be relegated.

Did people,at Grenfell, die because of that?

You could read it that way.

These new EU laws will ensure higher standards for the construction and refurbishment of buildings that pay greater attention to fire safety. We are ten months on from the tragedy of Grenfell, yet week after week the reports come in detailing the failures that led to the deaths of seventy-one people, structural faults that have not been fully addressed and could result in another disaster.

“As Fire Safety Europe has said, these revised proposals are an opportunity for national regulators to work on increasing fire safety in buildings; energy-efficient buildings must be fire safe - when renovating or constructing a building and optimising its energy performance, fire safety must be taken into account.

“It is vital the UK government implements these new standards as soon as they come into force, and does not deregulate and diverge from them if Britain leaves the EU.”

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

http://www.eurolabour.org.uk/new-eu-...ds-fire-safety
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
WW1 was the last war, it was said. It took another WW2 to learn the lesson. The European Community for Coal and Steel was funded by six countries. Later turned into the EEC. Trading relations tend to prevent war as foreseen by a british visionair (Churchil).
Disputing rights is often the start of disputes. Recently I read something about fishing wars that were won by Iceland. But within the EU a peaceful dividing of quota led to prosperity for all.
Oh the jolly EU wants to take the credit for peace always has done. Trouble is we had peace without them and still would have without them. Might be even more peaceful without them.

Peaceful dividing up our fish, yes I can see how that led for prosperity for some. Have you seen our fishing ports ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Stop with the Citizens we are not a Tossing Republic we are Subjects

The Queen

Not bloody likely !!! I reject that and insist (because I AM a Republican that I am a citizen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Surely we can be both I'm a citizen of this country and a subject of Her Maj.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Surely we can be both I'm a citizen of this country and a subject of Her Maj.
I can understand you object to being subjected to my limited vocabulary. But it is my understanding that your queen is impartial in matters of state, talking about you as a subject would feel for me like inferring her majesty in mundane matters. That is not my place.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

25-11-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have you seen our fishing ports ?
Almost empty. Your ships land their catch in EU harbors. For now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
My understanding is that Croatia held on to its blue passports because they only recently joined the EU. They originally planned for their next issue of passports to be Burgundy too but this has now been put on hold.

I do appreciate however that Britain could have kept our blue colour but it was ever eagerness by our government to be part of the club of every other EU country having the same colour decided upon by the EU Commission that we ended up with those horrendous passports.
I suppose that the colour is irrelevant really.

The important thing is that they announce the bearer to be a member of the European Union, confirming already that it is their intention to remove our national identity.

The next few years will be very interesting, if nothing else.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We are leaving, the EU is a huge market for UK jobs, making enemies with any trading partner is stupid.
No, our leaving the EU is now very much in doubt thanks to that woman who has chosen to ignore a majority vote.

I sincerely hope that she suffers the consequences of ignoring a democratic vote.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Others have similar agreements, they are content with them.

Why are we so different in your view?

Why are we finished as an Independent Nation?

We have control of our Budget, Defense, NHS, Education, Foreign Policy.

We still have more Non EU Immigrants than EU Immigrants, a situation which is entirely within our control.

It is not the EU who are insisting that we spend stupid amounts of our money on Foreign Aid, it is our own elected Politicians who are doing this.

It is now up to us to ensure that our Politicians look after us, no more EU to hide behind.
Too many 'ifs' and 'buts'. These open the doors for future extension of the EU's control.

Going by May's concessions, I can imagine that the EU will obtain even more in the future than she has already given them: our fishing areas, for example.

All of this has been explained before by others here. I'm surprised that you seem to have missed them, but I suppose for one who hopes that we shall remain a vassal state of the EU, they are easy not to see.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, our leaving the EU is now very much in doubt thanks to that woman who has chosen to ignore a majority vote.

I sincerely hope that she suffers the consequences of ignoring a democratic vote.
It wasn't democratic though was it?

Page 47 of 50 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top