Join for free
Page 473 of 1676 « First < 373 423 463 471 472 473 474 475 483 523 573 973 1473 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 10:52 PM

I recognise that geezer.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ah yes the old he looks up to me and I look down at him class system, it never really went away though, it just took on different forms, some people will always think they are better than others unfortunately, but we all end up in a box no matter who we think we are, the grim reaper don't care about your breeding or your bank balance when he calls.
I used to be a humble Fishmonger, yes folks I knew my Plaice, then a Ray of sunshine, Salmon told me I should move up the ladder, seek a higher Perch as it were, I was still young then and the World was my Oyster. So I went into business with a chap who was half Greek, a bit Russian, and a Tad Pole, but it was a disaster, little did I know he was a Shark and I was in over me head.
Can't let this excellent scribble go to waste Jem so I will add my small contribution. Even in the working class there were snobbery such as using either Izal bog roll or newspaper.

But I digress so back to being a fishmonger. Must give Halibut a mention

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Where's Fruitcake these days? I hope he didn't check out.
I be here I be.

As Mrs Pie mentioned, a lot has been happening at Fruitcake Folly concerning the older generation who live with us, and it has kept me from the more important virtual world of scribbling.

I like the Marx brothers filums, in fact I like a lot of old filums. Did you know that Harpo Marx could speak, but chose not to after someone was rude about his voice, unlike Buster Keaton who couldn't shout loud enough to be heard in the cinema from the film set.

Apropos of absolutely nothing pertinent, I started a new project in my workshop last week. Just to be clear, I don't work, well not for money, and I don't have a shop, a-cause I don't sell things, but a workshop it is neverthemore.
It has a skylight. This isn't a light, nor is it in the sky, for that would be impossible, but it is a hole in the roof to let in light, and the sky can be seen through it if you don't mind getting a crick in your neck doing so.

Anyway, I wanted to make a new clock to go above the garage door a-cause the previous version had failed, and the one afore that was vandalised.
I had somehow acquired the end of a beer barrel. What happened to the rest of the barrel, or indeed the beer contained within, I know not.
So, I started repairing the aforesaid barrel end that had come apart, planning to use it as the base of a widdershins clock. Unfortunately at this point the Chancellor of the Handbag decreed that three new projects were required, namely the manufacture of a small table and two stools, pushing my clock down to fourth priority. *sigh*

Women, what ever would we do without them?

Oh well, the table is complete so I can now make a start on the stools once the woodstain has dried. With luck I might get to restart work on the clock some time next week ...
Imagine if you will, an image of me not holding my breath.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Forget the Stools Fruity, get on with the Clock, time waits for no man.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Forget the Stools Fruity, get on with the Clock, time waits for no man.
Perhaps you would like to explain your reasoning to my Lovely Cousin. If she says get on with the clock after you have reasoned with her, then that is what I shall do.
If however she sticks with her original idea, then I will not argify with her.

As you can probably tell, I've got her exactly where she wants me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Your a man after me own heart Fruity, great to have a little workshop to potter about in and make what you like when you like.
They used to have a half hour program on our national TV station years ago called “Hands” featuring all sorts of folks making all sort of things with their hands, Blacksmiths, carpenters, potters, etc., I could look at that type of thing all day long. The best of luck with the clock.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-02-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Perhaps you would like to explain your reasoning to my Lovely Cousin. If she says get on with the clock after you have reasoned with her, then that is what I shall do.
If however she sticks with her original idea, then I will not argify with her.

As you can probably tell, I've got her exactly where she wants me.
Just gently tug her emotional strings, and ask, my dear, in the event of the inevitable happening before my time, wouldn't you want to remember for Clock, than my "Stools".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:41 PM

I got a good belly laugh watching that Solo, the faces on the women was something else, as me granny used to say “You wouldn’t know if they were vexed of pleased” I put it on the big TV screen and Phyllis loved it too, she gets all her fish from the local fishmonger Harry, according to her Harry is the greatest, and to be fair his fish is the freshest you can get, I asked her could she imagine Harry in a G string. I’m trying to picture Gumbud in one and it ain't a pretty sight.
Thanks for posting that.

My son, who’s married to an Italian girl was telling me yesterday that they are thinking of moving to Italy this year, Northern Italy as the heat is not too much there, he’s not good with very hot weather, I will miss them badly, especially the little fella who will be five next month.
So I was a bit down in the dumps yesterday afternoon, it was raining and very cold outside, there was just the missus and me, she had a well earned nap on the sofa, something I could never do in the afternoons, then I stated thinking about the old Winter Sunday afternoons of my boyhood, I can still sense the boredom to this day.
Wet Sunday afternoons in my boyhood was Old Grandad sleeping in his armchair, strange sounds coming from his nose and mouth, me Uncle Joe sitting by the small table filling in his railway time sheet and his brain strained trying to figure out how to fiddle a few hours, his long legs spread all over the place. Billy’s weekly liar he used to call the sheet, he was using one of those pencils you have to lick every so often and he always ended up with a purple tongue. the Granny moving about upstairs tiding up and making the beds, me Aunt Eileen sitting by the fire reading “Woman’s Own”, movie go round on the radio trying to explain what the new films were like, and the brother and me twirling our thumbs with boredom, wishing we had a shilling to go to the pictures, no such luck. I certainly don’t miss those miserable Sunday afternoons.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Your a man after me own heart Fruity, great to have a little workshop to potter about in and make what you like when you like.
They used to have a half hour program on our national TV station years ago called “Hands” featuring all sorts of folks making all sort of things with their hands, Blacksmiths, carpenters, potters, etc., I could look at that type of thing all day long. The best of luck with the clock.

I don 't think that is what he was saying Jem - read again then please explain!

Page 473 of 1676 « First < 373 423 463 471 472 473 474 475 483 523 573 973 1473 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top