Join for free
Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 04:56 PM

Re: Fair or not?

Originally Posted by Butterfly2013 ->
I guess it depends on the dog and how the dog was trained. Some dogs are so needy that they won't even let one go in another room without them following their master and yet some are more independent. If a dog is used to being left alone from when he was small, he will be ok because that is all he knows. As long as we show them love and treat them right, they will love us back.
lol
Totally disagree Butterfly. You say that if a dog is "used to being left alone it will be OK." But how many hours, days weeks or months of lonliness and distress did it take to "train" him before he accepted his miserable fate?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Some people will say, 'It's only a dog'! It's not though! Some could say I was stupid to have revolved my life around theirs. I would never put them in kennels to go on holiday, so I just did without or found places where I could take them. Perhaps, I have missed out on a lot by putting them first but the way I see it is... I took them on, they were my responsibility!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 05:32 PM

I can't fathom why people think it's ok to take an intelligent sociable animal and then lock it up for what is tantamont to solitary confinement for hours on end . Without company in an environment where it can not nothing but sleep its life away
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Totally disagree Butterfly. You say that if a dog is "used to being left alone it will be OK." But how many hours, days weeks or months of lonliness and distress did it take to "train" him before he accepted his miserable fate?
We had Rex when he was one years old, we didn't "train" him to stay alone lol We slowly extended the time he was left alone, starting with 15 minutes and not once did we see signs of distress. Miserable fate ? you make it sound like he was abused and neglected, which is not the case.

Miserable fate for me is having a dog and leaving him outside chained up day and night, in hot or cold weather, miserable fate for me is having a dog and training him with violence, miserable fate to me is neglecting his needs, etc. etc.

Miserable fate to me is not leaving him in the house, where he had the choice of 3 floors, where he had many windows where he could look out, where he had food and water and toys available to him at all times.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:15 PM

We had Rex when he was one years old, we didn't "train" him to stay alone lol We slowly extended the time he was left alone, starting with 15 minutes and not once did we see signs of distress. Miserable fate ? you make it sound like he was abused and neglected, which is not the case.

Miserable fate for me is having a dog and leaving him outside chained up day and night, in hot or cold weather, miserable fate for me is having a dog and training him with violence, miserable fate to me is neglecting his needs, etc. etc.

Miserable fate to me is not leaving him in the house, where he had the choice of 3 floors, where he had many windows where he could look out, where he had food and water and toys available to him at all times.
If he was happy and nothing you say makes me think he wasn't there are definitely worse fates fir a dog than to be so well loved.
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:38 PM

Thank-you, he sure was happy and well-loved and spoiled lol, he was my baby and I miss him still after 8 years He was the most friendly and the best dog ever
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:46 PM

Thank-you, he sure was happy and well-loved and spoiled lol, he was my baby and I miss him still after 8 years He was the most friendly and the best dog ever
No he wasn't, mine was.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 11:17 PM

I guess it depends on the dog and how the dog was trained.
If a dog is used to being left alone from when he was small, he will be ok because that is all he knows.

Butterfly, before you fly off the handle, I think you will find it was you who first mentioned about a dog being "trained" to be left, not me.

Secondly, I was responding to you saying "if a dog is used to being left" etc, I wasn't even talking about your dog. I know nothing about your relationship with your dog.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 12:35 AM

Great just like an abused child who doesnt cry when left alone because that's all he knows.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2016, 12:41 AM

Ey? Who ya talking to Muddy?

Page 5 of 19 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top