Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 10:32 PM

Re: Anonymous Me (or... How I used VPN to Hide the Real Me)

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Good attitude - just send your on line banking details and all your passwords to me, I am sure there's a few bob to be made from them after all who needs all this anonymity stuff?

At last some one who knows what they are talking about.
Stand corrected, I thought this was about anonymity, didn't realise you could dictate the datapath when using debit/credit cards.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon ->
I've used it watch UK TV channels elsewhere in Europe, on my tablet. Very useful. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, though, I take out a month's subscription just to cover the time away. The security aspect of it didn't really occur to me, since I tend not to do my finances in Macdonalds!

You've hit the nail on the head, though you may not use Maccas for doing your banking you might wish to use the free wifi provided by hotels to contact your bank while you are travelling. VPN gives you security no matter where you are.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 01:01 AM

wow is this the end and all happened at the speed of the internet!! OR did human dialogue slow us down?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 06:46 AM

We do this too and pay by the month direct debited. It's great to be able to watch the BBC programs, both the ones that haven't been here yet and some that never do. We usually watch them on BBC catch up but sometimes in real time.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon ->
I've used it watch UK TV channels elsewhere in Europe, on my tablet. Very useful. I'm a bit of a cheapskate, though, I take out a month's subscription just to cover the time away. The security aspect of it didn't really occur to me, since I tend not to do my finances in Macdonalds!
This is now hitting the nail on the head Bruce? It didn't say this was the main point of setting the VPN up to start with. It was to sometimes try and hide identity from the government. Later pointing out that it was also possible to use it for bypassing whatever measures are deemed fit for a country regarding the pricing of software/itunes/Netflix etc. Might that be a grey area legally (genuine question)?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 10:41 AM

Being 'anonymous' has huge advantages and shouldn't be discounted. If you can stop Google and all the rest from getting their greedy paws on your online info then all well and good. You have to be very careful these days.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Being 'anonymous' has huge advantages and shouldn't be discounted. If you can stop Google and all the rest from getting their greedy paws on your online info then all well and good. You have to be very careful these days.
Or what though MKJ? Our details and information are already known by various authorities and businesses in our countries. All related to our real names and street and address. Perhaps on computers that all talk to each other for all we know. Yet we don't worry half as much about this as we do about businesses knowing of our harmless activities on the Internet. Something just seems out of proportion there to me. As I said earlier:

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've been on the Internet now for about 20 years and at first, was concerned about the privacy aspect of it. However, over possibly the last ten years, I've stopped worrying about privacy and now take no special measures to guard it. Maybe one day I'll have to eat my words but so far, it hasn't made a scrap of difference to my way of life. Nobody knocking at my door and no spies at the end of the road. Time yet I suppose.
I'd have thought that something untoward would have happened by now if it was going to. Not being totally anonymous on the Internet doesn't seem to be harmful. I'm certainly not anonymous in any other aspect of life and don't really expect to be. Why expect it on the Internet?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Looking at all the companies and government departments who sell our details I am not sure any of us are very anonymous or private anyway these days.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 08:25 PM

I can understand the need we all have for a certain amount of privacy, but the longer I live the more I see that being taken away, not only on the internet but even now on census forms more and more personal questions are being added to the list, and as we all know filling in a census form is compulsory. Everyone wants to know more about us these days, buy something online and they want you to write a review, advertisements following you to every site you land on, tracking every post you make to wherever etc. As I see it the more people there are in countries and the world the greater the need by the authorities to keep tabs on everyone and what better and cheaper way to do this than on the internet? we all feel intruded on but it makes economic sense to them now that they are hell bent on reducing the armed forces and police. Come the future and there will be absolutely no such thing as privacy for the masses, big brother sneaked in the back door and we didn't see him coming it seems, I’m afraid the bottom line is we’re stuck with it now whether we like it or not so we’ll just have to get used to it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Wheels within wheels, those who accrue the data are having theirs accrued also., presumably.
Bruce will know for sure.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top