Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 12:08 AM

Re: People watching gross

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought the whole point of smoking meat/fish was to preserve food before we had fridges. Now we do so I'm struggling to see the point....

Anyhow, when wood smoked fish and chips take over I predict many will leave the country.....
Maybe it's just the taste and flavour they are after and the only way to achieve that is by wood 'smoking' the food.

Yes, the taste of fish and chips is one on its own isn't it. Although to give wood smoked fish and chips a try might just be worth it, you and others could like it then another, different flavour for fish and chips could be born!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I believe Scotland are leading the way with wood smoked deep fried Mars Bars
I wonder if anyone has ever actually eaten a deep fried Mars bar or is it just a myth....
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I wonder if anyone has ever actually eaten a deep fried Mars bar or is it just a myth....
I don't particularly like much fried food these days and Mars bars are a little too much in my efforts to stave off Type 2 diabetes. Myth or not I will pass on that one, if you don't mind!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have not tried them - yet - but we have a chipper in town that does them. I asked the waitress if people really did buy them and she said they were very popular. People are welcome to bring their own chocolate bars if they prefer them to Mars Bars.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I wonder how many here use fish eaters when eating fish? Or a desert fork and spoon? Or have a butter dish let alone a butter knife in the butter dish? Or a milk jug? Or a conserve tray and spoon? Or a cruet with a BLUE glass lined mustard pot? Or lobster forks etc?
Yes to all of those - some of us have standards.

"Forking" food is now absolutely acceptable unless at a posh do and even then eating "American Style" is catching on.
Not in my home - I abhor bad table manners
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 06:42 AM

I've never understood the wood oven craze. I thought this was just a Jamie fad. Does the pizza taste or look different?
Not familiar with a wood oven, but then, I wouldn't be, being a Jamie Dodger.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 07:18 AM

I thought the whole point of smoking meat/fish was to preserve food before we had fridges. Now we do so I'm struggling to see the point....

Anyhow, when wood smoked fish and chips take over I predict many will leave the country.....
Smoking fish or meat or cheese or salt or - well many things add a flavour ranging from the very subtle to the quite intense and spicy. In some cases it brings to the fore the essential flavour of the food, in other cases it adds complexity.

When it comes to fish and chips smoked salmon with a gob of dill mayo is a smashing combination. Then there's lightly smoked vanilla ice cream. Probably not best after smoked salmon and chips though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 07:31 AM

Smoked vanilla Ice Cream, Mr Whippy would turn in his grave.
Baz46

01-08-2019, 07:43 AM

Wasn't there a celebrity chef by the name of Heston Blumenthal who 'created' all kinds of strange foods, including odd flavours of ice cream? He must have done well out of it I guess as I believe he owns famous, well known restaurants.

Thought so, just found it – Bacon ice cream:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_ice_cream

Plus even more strange flavours:

"Eight insane ice cream flavours you need to try. Bacon, wasabi, bone marrow, truffle oil, mustard, sweet potato and Indian curry flavours."

https://www.food24.com/News-and-Guid...vours-20130708
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Smoked vanilla Ice Cream, Mr Whippy would turn in his grave.
It's the vanilla that has been lightly smoked and then used to flavour the ice cream.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top