Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:37 PM

Re: ladyboys...

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Good post Harbal. But let's not forget that not all drag artistes are gay.
Drag artists don't have a significant enough role in my life for it to matter much if I do forget.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Exactly.

The majority of the audience is usually female from a cross section of age groups.

I really don't think they go in there with any preconceptions of the performers representing a gay perception of a heterosexual perception of a parody of femininity.

Really don't think it's that deep.
it's not a gay or straight perception of female stereotypes, it's societal. But nothing to do with actually being a woman. I bet if you do a cross sectional societal survey of lockdown fash it won't be fishnets or killer heels or mini skirts. But I bet there's still been a great market for size 11 killer heels and extra extra large fishnets...
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I meant drag artists aren't all gay at all. Some heterosexual men like to sniff knickers, others take it to the next level.
You said, "Nothing to do with being a woman but everything to do with male notions of femininity."

I was making the point that drag artists do not conform to the straight male notion of femininity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Drag artists don't have a significant enough role in my life for it to matter much if I do forget.
Well a friend of a friend's husband started off by dressing up as a woman secretly, then he fully transitioned after their divorce, but he was still attracted to women. Go figure. Men can remain fully hetero but want to live their lives as a woman.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:42 PM

Courtney Act has just started as an interviewer on the ABCs One Plus One not a program I watch regularly I tend to watch it when the guest interests me. The last host was ParaOlympic athlete Kurt Fearnley

I don't think she is creepy at all
Harbal
South Yorkshire

01-07-2021, 11:43 PM

Well a friend of a friend's husband started off by dressing up as a woman secretly, then he fully transitioned after their divorce, but he was still attracted to women. Go figure. Men can remain fully hetero but want to live their lives as a woman.
So what?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-07-2021, 11:46 PM

You said, "Nothing to do with being a woman but everything to do with male notions of femininity."

I was making the point that drag artists do not conform to the straight male notion of femininity.
How did you come to that conclusion?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-07-2021, 11:49 PM

So what?
So not all men who wear drag are gay. Dick emery wasn't, Barry Humphries wasn't. They parodied female stereotypes. Was this their notion of femininity? I'd like to see an argument that it wasn't. These were the stereotypes of the times.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

02-07-2021, 12:08 AM

How did you come to that conclusion?
By thinking about what I was going to say before I said it.

So not all men who wear drag are gay. Dick emery wasn't, Barry Humphries wasn't. They parodied female stereotypes. Was this their notion of femininity? I'd like to see an argument that it wasn't. These were the stereotypes of the times.
I never said all men who wear drag are gay. And are you really suggesting that Dame Edna is a typical male stereotype of femininity?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

02-07-2021, 12:24 AM

By thinking about what I was going to say before I said it.

:
How long did the thinking take?

I never said all men who wear drag are gay. And are you really suggesting that Dame Edna is a typical male stereotype of femininity?
It was a stereotype of a certain generation/age of Australian women back in the 70s/80s. Feminine stereotypes aren't all young and lovely

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top