Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Re: A final say

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Nigel can see what's coming.

Our trust was put in Boris. I think he's about to fail us.

Brexit Party for me at the next GE, just as I promised months ago.
I think boris is lying through his teeth to varadkar and the EU. He is playing for time, and is moving towards a no deal brexit.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I think boris is lying through his teeth to varadkar and the EU. He is playing for time, and is moving towards a no deal brexit.
My thoughts are the government is using the DUP in the same way as the EU has used the Republic so far. I can see an election in the Republic being called soon.

We are playing them at their own game now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 03:42 PM

There is nothing new in the Irish falling out with each other, be it the North vs. the South or different factions in the North.

This has gone on for many years, in fact a couple of centuries now.

I sometimes think we'd be better off if we just left the Irish to argue among themselves and keep out of it. Let's get mainland Britain out of the EU and then let the Irish sort out their own problems.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 04:02 PM

There is nothing new in the Irish falling out with each other, be it the North vs. the South or different factions in the North.

This has gone on for many years, in fact a couple of centuries now.

I sometimes think we'd be better off if we just left the Irish to argue among themselves and keep out of it. Let's get mainland Britain out of the EU and then let the Irish sort out their own problems.
Isn't it strange after all these years of Ireland opposing EU membership, even voting out in its own referendum, it now kisses the ass of the EU unelected establishment.

Wonder why Sinn Fein change its mind so quickly
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
If that is so Solly, he gets my vote! But l am beginning to see that
so far he has gradually followed the same path as Teresa May and
only has only to ask for another extension to complete the Uturn!
the only difference being he has the alibi of the so called Benn Law
as an excuse for this?
The coming days will reveal whether this is the case, but the signals
are not good as far as brexit goes, and we must agitate for an
early GE and repeal of granny Benns lawless law?

Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Isn't it strange after all these years of Ireland opposing EU membership, even voting out in its own referendum, it now kisses the ass of the EU unelected establishment.

Wonder why Sinn Fein change its mind so quickly
Brexit has caused a lot of us to wonder about a lot of things
Bresd? It seems the house has woodworm? Is there anything
worth saving? Or must we rebuild?
Regads Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 04:51 PM

This extract from a letter by Benn has appeared on 'Leavers of Yorkshire' Facebook page:

Thank you for your email about the Bill that has been passed by the House of Commons to prevent a no deal Brexit on 31 October. Please also accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

Although Leeds voted narrowly for Remain, I voted to trigger Article 50 to start the process of leaving the EU. However, I did not support the previous Prime Minister’s deal on the three occasions it was put before the House of Commons because it completely failed to offer the country clarity and certainty about our future relationship with our biggest, nearest and most important trading partners, namely the rest of the EU.

I am only too aware that there are strong feelings on this matter, but there is no mandate from the 2016 referendum for the UK to leave the EU without an agreement. As I’m sure you will remember, the Leave campaign promised that we would get a deal, and Michael Gove, who helped lead the Leave campaign, said earlier this year the “we didn’t vote to leave without a deal.”

All the evidence is that leaving the EU without an agreement would be damaging to our economy, and far from bringing Brexit to an end - as the Prime Minister claims - it would merely plunge us into prolonged uncertainty. The day after a no deal Brexit, we would have torn up our existing trading relationship with our biggest market – the rest of the European Union – and it would take a long time to establish a new one. In the meantime, as the Government’s own reports have shown there would be disruption, uncertainty and damage to businesses. It was for this reason the cross-party group of MPs came together to propose the Bill which has now become law in order to protect the country from having no deal enforced upon it.

The Prime Minister claims that the Act undermines his negotiations, but in fact it gives him time to go to the European Council on the 17/18 October to try and get a new agreement. Only if he fails to do so is he required to ask for a further extension to Article 50 to 31 January.

It was also extraordinary that the Government tried to close Parliament for five weeks. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Government had done this because it feared parliamentary scrutiny of its chaotic Brexit policy, but as you now know the Supreme Court declared the prorogation to be unlawful.

Although we have now passed legislation to prevent a no deal Brexit on 31 October, I recognise that we cannot delay a final decision indefinitely. I believe that the only way in which to resolve this crisis, given that Parliament is deadlocked, is to go back to the British people in a confirmatory referendum, in which the choice would be between the deal that has been negotiated to leave the European Union and remaining in the European Union.

The argument for a confirmatory referendum is that it would allow the Prime Minister’s deal to leave the European Union to be put before the British people. If voters want to leave on that basis then they are perfectly free to do so – no one is telling anyone to change their minds – and if that deal gained a majority then we would leave with that deal. But if voters, on reflection, want to change their minds then we would remain.

I’m only too aware from many emails and conversations with constituents that this approach is very unpopular with some of you and very popular with others, but it would, at least, be a way out of the current crisis.

This is a critical point in our history and we need certainty and stability. I will continue to press the Prime Minister to put the national interest first.

Thank you for contacting me about this hugely important issue.

Best wishes

Hilary Benn
MP for Leeds Central

I have posted a suitable response. If anyone would like to see more, please log in to Facebook and join the above section.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Hi

I am now retired, no influence at all

I am out of the loop, no idea what is going on.

I am happy with that.

My vote counts as much as a Cabinet Minister

That is Democracy.

I voted Leave, I will still do so.

This is important to me.

Never went to Private School, parents could not afford me to go.

Parents could not afford me to go to Uni either.

I did a working Polytechnic and then transferred over, part time, to Medical School.

I worked my way up.

I am not going to be dictated to by Boris, or Corbyn or any other of the Political Elite.

I am a nobody, but my vote counts

Neither Boris or Corbyn have spent six months of their life inspecting pig intestines.

I have, a horrible job.

I voted leave, I expect that to be counted.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

16-10-2019, 05:49 PM

This extract from a letter by Benn has appeared on 'Leavers of Yorkshire' Facebook page:

Thank you for your email about the Bill that has been passed by the House of Commons to prevent a no deal Brexit on 31 October. Please also accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

Although Leeds voted narrowly for Remain, I voted to trigger Article 50 to start the process of leaving the EU. However, I did not support the previous Prime Minister’s deal on the three occasions it was put before the House of Commons because it completely failed to offer the country clarity and certainty about our future relationship with our biggest, nearest and most important trading partners, namely the rest of the EU.

I am only too aware that there are strong feelings on this matter, but there is no mandate from the 2016 referendum for the UK to leave the EU without an agreement. As I’m sure you will remember, the Leave campaign promised that we would get a deal, and Michael Gove, who helped lead the Leave campaign, said earlier this year the “we didn’t vote to leave without a deal.”

All the evidence is that leaving the EU without an agreement would be damaging to our economy, and far from bringing Brexit to an end - as the Prime Minister claims - it would merely plunge us into prolonged uncertainty. The day after a no deal Brexit, we would have torn up our existing trading relationship with our biggest market – the rest of the European Union – and it would take a long time to establish a new one. In the meantime, as the Government’s own reports have shown there would be disruption, uncertainty and damage to businesses. It was for this reason the cross-party group of MPs came together to propose the Bill which has now become law in order to protect the country from having no deal enforced upon it.

The Prime Minister claims that the Act undermines his negotiations, but in fact it gives him time to go to the European Council on the 17/18 October to try and get a new agreement. Only if he fails to do so is he required to ask for a further extension to Article 50 to 31 January.

It was also extraordinary that the Government tried to close Parliament for five weeks. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Government had done this because it feared parliamentary scrutiny of its chaotic Brexit policy, but as you now know the Supreme Court declared the prorogation to be unlawful.

Although we have now passed legislation to prevent a no deal Brexit on 31 October, I recognise that we cannot delay a final decision indefinitely. I believe that the only way in which to resolve this crisis, given that Parliament is deadlocked, is to go back to the British people in a confirmatory referendum, in which the choice would be between the deal that has been negotiated to leave the European Union and remaining in the European Union.

The argument for a confirmatory referendum is that it would allow the Prime Minister’s deal to leave the European Union to be put before the British people. If voters want to leave on that basis then they are perfectly free to do so – no one is telling anyone to change their minds – and if that deal gained a majority then we would leave with that deal. But if voters, on reflection, want to change their minds then we would remain.

I’m only too aware from many emails and conversations with constituents that this approach is very unpopular with some of you and very popular with others, but it would, at least, be a way out of the current crisis.

This is a critical point in our history and we need certainty and stability. I will continue to press the Prime Minister to put the national interest first.

Thank you for contacting me about this hugely important issue.

Best wishes

Hilary Benn
MP for Leeds Central

I have posted a suitable response. If anyone would like to see more, please log in to Facebook and join the above section.

Nobody voted to leave with Theresa Mays deal either.

I think Hilary Benn is taking himself too seriously as usual. In 16 days he will be yesterdays man, with Grieve, Cooper-Balls, Bercow, Letwin and all the other disgraced MPs.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

16-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If that is so Solly, he gets my vote! But l am beginning to see that
so far he has gradually followed the same path as Teresa May and
only has only to ask for another extension to complete the Uturn!
the only difference being he has the alibi of the so called Benn Law
as an excuse for this?
The coming days will reveal whether this is the case, but the signals
are not good as far as brexit goes, and we must agitate for an
early GE and repeal of granny Benns lawless law?

Regards Donkeyman!

I think the UK needs a written constitution first of all, like they have in the USA. Then those in the HoC who wish to betray the will of the people can truly be held to account.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top