Gardasil and Cervarix cancer vaccines

Electronic pacemaker

Inflatable escape slide and raft

refrigeration

polymer banknote
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Re: Inventions That Change Our Lives.

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
computers - all British inventions. Fraid not Judd.
Frederick, Maryland, U.S. John Vincent Atanasoff, OCM, an American physicist and inventor, is best known for being credited with inventing the first electronic digital computer in the 1930s at Iowa State College.[I]

Englishman Tim Berners-Lee and Belgian Robert Cailliau invented the World Wide Web in 1989.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 11:48 AM

Shoes .
Fantastic invention no more sand between the toes for example or walking over rough stony ground that make the sole ot the foot sore or bleed
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 06:45 PM

And electric generators and motors invented by one of my heroes, Michael Faraday. No electric to run the world without him.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Most of the inventions during the Industrial Revolution including steam engines, locomotives, mill machinery, refining the steel process, accurate clocks, RADAR, television, thermionic valve (predecessor of the transistor), hovercraft, jet engines, computers - all British inventions.

A pity that the younger generation don't realise that all the things they take for granted were created from British inventions and would rather slag off our history rather than rejoice in it.
I'm surprised you didn't mention the telephone Judd.

When I was at school I was taught the Telephone and the Television were Scottish inventions. Wiki tells you otherwise.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
And electric generators and motors invented by one of my heroes, Michael Faraday. No electric to run the world without him.
Or Nikola Tesla, alternating current supply.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Or Nikola Tesla, alternating current supply.
Hungarian.....(What is now Croatia)...
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
#1 The Ultrasound Scanner

#2 Black Box Flight Recorder

#3 Wi-Fi.

#4 GPS Mapping

#5 Medical Nano-patches.

These and dozens more inventions have one common denominator. They were all innovated by Australian scientific R&D..
Do you mean just the black box?

I think the French invented early flight recorders followed by an updated version by the Brits. This could withstand crashes and fire
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm surprised you didn't mention the telephone Judd.

When I was at school I was taught the Telephone and the Television were Scottish inventions. Wiki tells you otherwise.
Just checked out Wikipedia and as far as I can see the reverse seems to be shown on there,
see the third paragraph:

"Alexander Graham Bell's invention of the first practical telephone, John Logie Baird's invention
of television"

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...ave-the-world/
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Just checked out Wikipedia and as far as I can see the reverse seems to be shown on there,
see the third paragraph:

"Alexander Graham Bell's invention of the first practical telephone, John Logie Baird's invention of television"

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...ave-the-world/

Yes and this is what I was taught at school.

However, google helps you dig a bit deeper ...

Bell & Baird were both born in Scotland but neither were living or working there while doing their vital research. Both were financed abroad working on different aspects of what evolved into their accredited inventions. Neither the phone nor the TV were invented in Scotland.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top