Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:10 PM

Re: Mont Blanc 1921

27. Mer de Glace from La Flégère. Aug. 5th.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:15 PM

28. Argentière Glacier from La Flégère. Aug. 5th.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by graculus ->
You're welcome. I love things like this. They give a direct connection. It's the stories and even if we have only a faint idea of what those stories are, it's an adventure to try let your imagination follow. I've been researching through 19th century newspapers recently to uncover some facts about certain people who lived in my town at that time. Some of the stories that I've found are nothing out of the ordinary, court reports of brawls in the streets, neighbours arguments, (oh and a riot and murder of two children by their father) and there's enough left of the town to be able to walk around a 'see' those events. I've always been fascinated by history but it's what's around us in the buildings and fragments that contain the stories. I've managed to get enough material about one character to put together a play for kids which will be performed at the cathedral this weekend.
Wow, that sounds brilliant! Well done you... hope it all goes well.
Do you mind if I ask if you are/were a teacher?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 08:58 PM

Fascinating to look into the life of the owner of the album isn't it? Love all these pictures. Hard to imagine climbing in skirts and in Pic10 a lady appears to be wearing low heels - not the best for gripping in snow and ice is it

It's a shame there's no indication of who the owner of the album was or if they were male or female. You could've done a bit of research online for them. It would be wonderful to find a family member to hand the album to so they can appreciate this glimpse into the life of an ancestor. Whoever they were, they seem to be very organised.

I presume the chap you bought it off wasn't connected to the family, judging by his lack of interest. Wonder where he got it?
graculus
Yorkshire

26-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Wow, that sounds brilliant! Well done you... hope it all goes well.
Do you mind if I ask if you are/were a teacher?
Yes I was a teacher. Am I that transparent? Took early retirement. The only thing that's wrong with education are the politicians and the present style of bean-counter headteachers who think children are just points on spreadsheets and whose only purpose is to grovel to OFFTOSS in an attempt to further their progress up the greasy pole. I won't go down that road though... It needs a thread of it's own.
graculus
Yorkshire

26-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Fascinating to look into the life of the owner of the album isn't it? Love all these pictures. Hard to imagine climbing in skirts and in Pic10 a lady appears to be wearing low heels - not the best for gripping in snow and ice is it

It's a shame there's no indication of who the owner of the album was or if they were male or female. You could've done a bit of research online for them. It would be wonderful to find a family member to hand the album to so they can appreciate this glimpse into the life of an ancestor. Whoever they were, they seem to be very organised.

I presume the chap you bought it off wasn't connected to the family, judging by his lack of interest. Wonder where he got it?
I'm pretty sure the album belonged to one of the ladies in the photos. I'm also pretty sure she was a teacher as there isa press cutting in the album which points in that direction.

Don't think the bloke on the car boot was any relation. I did buy a large Edwardian photo of a bride once at a car boot. Lovely oak frame. The guy who sold me it made no bones about the fact it was his great grandmother. I couldn't have parted with something like that.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

26-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Yes I was a teacher. Am I that transparent? Took early retirement. The only thing that's wrong with education are the politicians and the present style of bean-counter headteachers who think children are just points on spreadsheets and whose only purpose is to grovel to OFFTOSS in an attempt to further their progress up the greasy pole. I won't go down that road though... It needs a thread of it's own.
Just putting 2 and 2 together....with stuff you'd said and mentioning taking kids to Jorvik somewhere on the forum. My daughter's school took them to Jorvik too, so were you teaching at primary school?

I've a couple of friends who both took early retirement too. Best thing they ever did, they're so thankful to be out of it now.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

26-04-2016, 09:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the album belonged to one of the ladies in the photos. I'm also pretty sure she was a teacher as there isa press cutting in the album which points in that direction.

Don't think the bloke on the car boot was any relation. I did buy a large Edwardian photo of a bride once at a car boot. Lovely oak frame. The guy who sold me it made no bones about the fact it was his great grandmother. I couldn't have parted with something like that.
Oooh, the press cutting sounds interesting.

And no, I wouldn't have parted with the great grandmother photo either. I've lots here of our family going back to the 1800s. Sad to think the days of displaying photographs will no doubt fade away with all this new technology .... there will be nothing to hold in your hand or display in frames on the walls.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2016, 10:26 PM

I can't understand people who part with photographs such as these, its the same with parting with family heirlooms. They may not be interested in the items themselves but perhaps future generations may have that interest. I've researched quite a lot of my family history in the past hence my interest in photographs and family items.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:23 AM

It could have been part of a house clearance, where the last remaining member of the books owner has passed on.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top