Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Re: Say goodbye to IE (Internet Explorer)

Have been using Firefox since it was a pup. Chrome looks OK but Google's cavalier attitude to privacy and its collection of data from all its products and the combination of that data concerns me so I will stick with Firefox.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 03:00 PM

I've tried them all, and a few others like Konqueror and lunascape, and I always come back to chrome. It does tend to hang a bit sometimes but I find if I click on task manager it starts up again. I like the options interface, it's easy to customise and use. Little things like it updates it's own flash player automatically and stuff makes it so easy to maintain.

ETA.plus the icon chrome uses is pretty.
Ian McKlatchie
New Member!
Merseyside, UK
Ian McKlatchie is male 

07-04-2012, 04:09 PM

There is now a clone of Chrome, called "SRWare Iron," also free, that has, the developer tells me, none of the dodgy privacy problems that Chrome has.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 06:49 PM

I have awful trouble with my pc as i am not technical savvy.I now have windows 7 and hate it, I have lost all my photos and dont understand what its talking about. I would love to go back to vista.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 01:24 AM

Why can't you go back to Vista, Annie? There's no reason why you shouldn''t. It's so sad when you lose precious things, but why didn't you store your photos in an Image Hosting system like Photobucket?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ian McKlatchie ->
There is now a clone of Chrome, called "SRWare Iron," also free, that has, the developer tells me, none of the dodgy privacy problems that Chrome has.
Ian I haven't heard of that, it has good reviews on cnet

http://download.cnet.com/SRWare-Iron...-10889248.html.

I am using Chrome at the moment and really like it, I find it so much better than IE which I used previously.
Think I might give SRW a try when I have the time
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 02:54 PM

It's always a good idea to back up. Especially things like photographs. So many people don't bother nowadays. I went out and spent £70 on an external hard drive. It's a 500 gig so it can hold everything on my computer many times over. Once a month I just dump all my files onto it and delete the previous one. It's saved my bacon twice now. Once when my PC caught a virus and had to be wiped and windows installed from scratch. and the second time when my laptop died from a terminal dose of coffee. Best £70 I ever spent.
As for windows 7, when I replaced my PC last year I had the local computer shop install XP in place of 7 as I use my PC for doing my books on and didn't want to spend a fortune on updated software.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 01:50 AM

Perhaps the biggest flaw in Chrome is that apparently you cannot protect your stored user names and passwords. In Firefox you have a master password which encodes them. I read recently that Chrome does not. If this is true then it is a major reason NOT to use Chrome in my opinion. If your computer is stolen or lost what then? Your Windows password is too easy to bypass.

Compared to this Google's lack of regard for privacy is a minor matter. However as I have never used Chrome I cannot vouch for the veracity of this.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Perhaps the biggest flaw in Chrome is that apparently you cannot protect your stored user names and passwords. In Firefox you have a master password which encodes them. I read recently that Chrome does not. If this is true then it is a major reason NOT to use Chrome in my opinion. If your computer is stolen or lost what then? Your Windows password is too easy to bypass.

Compared to this Google's lack of regard for privacy is a minor matter. However as I have never used Chrome I cannot vouch for the veracity of this.
Hi Bruce I think Chrome is a vast improvement on IE, I can't get on with Firefox at all.

As my computer never leaves the house I don't anticipate it getting lost and if someone steals it I will know and can soon access sites of any importance to change my passwords though the only one which would really worry we would be my bank and even I sometimes have trouble accessing that .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Chrome is the stable version of Chromium. Google started the Chromium Project but has made the code open source. This means other people can take the code, modify/rewrite it and issue it under their own brand names.

A couple of companies that have done this are Comodo (Dragon browser) and SRWare (Iron browser). These have had the parts relevant to privacy stripped out of them, so aren't connected to Google. If wanting to use Chrome but are concerned about privacy, then one of the alternative Chromium-based browsers might be worth a look at.

I prefer to use Google Chrome because of the frequency of security and other updates (although Comodo Dragon keeps pace with releases of Chrome pretty well).

It is possible to mitigate security worries with Google Chrome and how to do this is well publicized on the Internet. Type, 'chrome privacy' into a search engine and lots of listings come up.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top