Join for free
Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Re: Bullying Smokers

Originally Posted by solo ->
We have had all the horrendous figures and stats of what harm smoking did, however where are those same figures showing any decrease since the smoking ban came into force !!!
It's not just an issue of health though. Even were smoking not damaging to others health it would still be hugely unsocial to smoke in public areas as it forces nasty smoke into the whole room. Just the same as lighting up incense sticks would, or letting off stink bombs, or burning citronella candles etc etc. It's ludicrous that smoking in public was ever tolerated.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Doesn't matter how much you tell a smoker that it's bad for their health if you want them to stop smoking then it's encouragement that's needed not stats. They also need to want to give up.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's not just an issue of health though. Even were smoking not damaging to others health it would still be hugely unsocial to smoke in public areas as it forces nasty smoke into the whole room. Just the same as lighting up incense sticks would, or letting off stink bombs, or burning citronella candles etc etc. It's ludicrous that smoking in public was ever tolerated.
We are not talking about public rooms are we - outside ........
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:27 PM

Smoking, according to all the 'facts and figures' that have been hammered down our throats, is undoubtedly aimed at the smoker and the non smoker as a Health issue..

Vaping has become the new smoke and I would imagine just as obnoxious to you and others.

Having proved by so called figures that smoking and now possibly vaping is harmful why are we not given figures showing that stopping smoking is after all beneficial !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The 'bottom line' is Realist, we have had enough measures to abide by, now its time to get to grips with the drinkers - that cause far more damage
And, I wish you wouldn't lump 'all' smokers together as the pits - some of us are considerate
Hi Patsy. Yep I know all smokers are not the same, but the considerate ones are in the minority sadly.

And you are right on target in relation to the drinkers and the entire situation of selling drinks in city centres and all the outfall that results in. It is similarly utterly ridiculous.

However, while ever the government continues to be filled by corrupt individuals taking back-handers from powerful conglomerates, nothing is likely to change. Alcohol sells, and profits fuel greed and power. There is little moral standing in the government and powers that be.

There will eventually be another bloody revolution and military and police have been gearing up for it for a long time imo. Everything runs in cycles.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Hi Patsy. Yep I know all smokers are not the same, but the considerate ones are in the minority sadly.

And you are right on target in relation to the drinkers and the entire situation of selling drinks in city centres and all the outfall that results in. It is similarly utterly ridiculous.

However, while ever the government continues to be filled by corrupt individuals taking back-handers from powerful conglomerates, nothing is likely to change. Alcohol sells, and profits fuel greed and power. There is little moral standing in the government and powers that be.

There will eventually be another bloody revolution and military and police have been gearing up for it for a long time imo. Everything runs in cycles.
Blimey Realist you're a right bundle of fun. If we're going to have a revolution I might just take up smoking!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

16-08-2015, 02:51 PM

TBH it started some time ago. Have you heard of the OccupyWallStreet movement, the protesters of the 1% extremely rich keeping the 99% poor?
Worth Googling.

Take a look at this clip of the authorities macing students protesting peacefully, It's not easy watching imo. I know there are different sides to every story but even so this is horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Those that really would like to stop smoking, kiss an ashtray that will surely work.
It worked for me, I had to kiss a lady one night and that is exactly what it tasted like, I thought to myself my poor wife has done that for years, I thought there and then no more.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Well that's mighty nice of you to concede this !
Gee, don't mention it, and it's absolutely fabulous that you think it's mighty nice of me.
I don't usually douse my posts with sarcasm but can happily lower my standards to return like with like.

Lots of smokers even to this day still don't see a problem with smoking in public. They begrudgingly go outside to designated smoking shelters and only because they have been told to do so by the government. Had the smoking laws not been put in place these people would still be polluting public places with their toxic smoke.
Shocking innit. That smokers should feel a little annoyed. Not, I might add, at having to go to designated shelters ... but at the continuing vilification of them as some kind of social leper... usually by people who set themselves up as judge and jury.

As I said in my first post this is an utterly puerile and selfish stance to take. If 10 years ago I had walked into a pub and set up a wooden block full of Incense Sticks I would have been thrown out. People would have complained. Equally if I sat there routinely setting off stink bombs I would also have been thrown out. Yet smokers for years were permitted to pollute public rooms in their own way. It was and remains utterly ludicrous.
Big yawn .. another rant about smokers who you clearly don't like. Even hate as far as I can see. So let's get this straight ... everyone drives to the pub in their car? You included? And they all hold their breath whilst they run inside where the air is now wholesome and clean... and imbibe alcohol. Yeh, right.

I stand by my statement that no-one should be permitted to create a dangerous environment in a public place.
Everyone who drives a car DUCK! out of the firing line now.

Your comparison with cars or for that matter any mode of transport is interesting. I can't deny that forms of transport pollute the environment and no it's not acceptable that they do. However, we are an enslaved species and those who control are forcing us in the main to use fossil fuels for all of our forms of energy. Renewable energy sources should be cheap and readily available but they are not. Have you ever wondered why solar panels are so expensive as to be out of the reach of the ordinary folk? There is no reason for them to be, the solar cells can be mass produced quite easily. Further to that, I myself could very easily build my own solar panel. It requires little effort, mostly soldering individual solar cells together and putting them in a suitable frame that can withstand the heat etc. Yet there is no point in me doing this because the controlling powers have implemented all manner of laws and regulations to stop me from achieving my goal. If I made a panel, I would not be permitted to plug it into the National Grid for example. I would also not get house insurance if it was attached to my house and/or plugged into the wiring. Any panel has to meet all sorts of stringent regulations and the average Joe Bloggs would not pass those regs.

All of which is to say that at present we are forced to use the forms of transport that the governments permit which mean fossil fuelled polluting cars, busses, trains, planes, ships and whatever. Yes I could take a bicycle but for long distance it is just not practical or workable.
So ... in other words you're telling me you could use a bike .. but it's not practical and you're a slavish victim who doesn't stick to his principles because the government has effectively imposed this upon you? Nice cop out. Even whilst you could build a solar panel yourself and perhaps strap it to your back whilst pedalling and charge some kind of battery?

If the government repealed the law tomorrow that prevents smokers from smoking inside pubs and restaurants, they would immediately flock back inside and carry on as before believing it is their God given right to do so. Despite all they know about the health risks to others, and the discomfort they cause others, they would carry on regardless, just as they always did before.
I missed out a big chunk of your post as all it was was a longwinded moan about smokers, obsessively focusing on the health risks they present ... whilst neatly skirting around car pollution or other pollution chugged out by industry, to the extent of implying 'not my fault, not my problem, nothing to do with me'.

Bottom line is the government HAS to take action to stop them and thankfully that's what they are doing.
Mais non .. Bottom line is this ... today it is smokers. Whose turn will it be next?
Personally I rather like towns that are pedestrianized. The air is fresher, less smoggy and sweeter to breathe. Not to mention safer. No one has ever been knocked down by a smoker smoking dangerously, or wielding a cigarette with Undue Care or Attention or Smoking over the Legal Limit

When the day comes that the government limit one car per household .. introduce toll roads, implement a system of alternative days for cars to have access to busier towns .. and any other host of ideas to limit motorists..
what will the average motorist say?

Bladdy hell, how dare they ... I used to be able to drive where I wanted
Or ...
Good, about time .. I shouldn't have been able to indulge my God Given right to create a dangerous environment and infect it with toxic fumes

Yikes .. I've just seen the length of this saga!
Time to put the kettle on and have a ciggie.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 05:51 PM

LOL Morty - you can certainly match point for point gal

Page 5 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top