Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Re: Eating in the uk in the fifties

Mmmm Pasta - very nice. I like the Italians for their food - music - country and family importance and - for giving me 'Frank sinatra '
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2013, 04:28 PM

I can remember my mother cooking plain suet dumplings in plain water, and serving them with a sauce made from jam heated up with some water. As it was real fresh suet, there always seemed to be a sticky outer layer which made this really cheap pud a delicious treat.

Oh and as for 'foreign' food, I recall her version of 'spag bol', she would make up a pkt of dried minestrone soup (well it was Italian) with cold water, then cook some beef mince and a chopped onion in the soup, adding a small tin of tomato pure. And she would buy the long spaghetti (which it is hard to find nowadays) but then she would break it up into 3-4 inch pieces before cooking) funnily enough we all enjoyed the result, although I was well surprised, nay even amazed when a friend cooked me the 'real' version.

Oh and can well remember the flourish with which she produced other 'foreign' meals, when Vesta first introduced their Chow Mein, Risotto, Curry and Paella! Which again, we all enjoyed until discovering the 'real' versions.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2013, 04:33 PM

What a character yer Mum was Des.....
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Not so much a 'character' as someone with 'pretensions of grandeur'. She was one of seven brought up in a tiny (and I mean tiny) cottage with 1.5 rooms down and 1.5 rooms up, but she always acted like the lady of the manor.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Ah - a Missus 'Bouquet' eh......
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2013, 05:02 PM

I so agree with our Sue in Canada.
What a pleasure reading this thread has been, thanks Geoff, for starting it
It has certainly brought back memories of childhood and very interesting seeing others feedback.
Several posts have had me smiling
Was fascinated by Sue's recollections .. hubby's uncle was Canadian - a giant of a man - he loved maple syrup and pancakes, quite exotic to us.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

18-04-2013, 05:17 PM

I know this was not back in the 50's , in fact was in the mid 60's. I was in the W.R.A.C. in Guildford and was visiting friends in London for the week-end, two of us decided to go for a snack, into the Lyons corner house on Piccadilly (is that one or two 'c's spell checker will not allow either?). Anyway. At the time this establishment was on three floors, ground floor a typical 50'60's style coffee bar, stools at the counter, all chrome and Formica, serving 'froffy coffee' (before we had heard of cappuccino) and milk shakes etc., second floor was a restaurant, and top floor a really posh restaurant. Well we decided to try the middle floor. There on the menu were 'American style pancakes with maple syrup', oh wow, we thought, that sounds interesting. (Having only 'seen' these on tv and in films) so when the waitress arrived the both of us asked for these pancakes. We were flumoxed when asked if we wanted bacon or sausage with them? Bacon? sausage? with pancakes and syrup? You're having a laugh we thought. But rather than look dumb, she asked for sausages and I asked for the bacon.

When the food arrived it was served in little metal plates set into little wooden trays, was sizzling hot, and mine comprised of a huge thick slice of gammon, surrounded by a ring of these pancakes, accompanied by a small jug of maple syrup. Here goes nothing I thought, and poured the syrup over the food. And - It - Was - Delicious!! But, I have to say that the 'American Pancakes' were no different to the 'pikelets' my mother made every Saturday. Also known as drop scones, scotch pancakes and various other regional names.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Mmmm yum - sometimes the savoury and the sweet go together nice...
I liked golden syrup on bread with a slice of firm strong cheese... After potatos - cheese is my second favourite food....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Had a really good chuckle at those Uncle Joe - this one 'However, the one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties …. ELBOWS' reminded me of my Nan: at mealtimes, if we put our elbows on the table, she would scrape the carving knife over the stone thing whilst saying 'all joints on the table will be carved'
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I can remember my mother cooking plain suet dumplings in plain water, and serving them with a sauce made from jam heated up with some water. As it was real fresh suet, there always seemed to be a sticky outer layer which made this really cheap pud a delicious treat.
That reminded me of other things my Nan would cook - suet puddings, absolutely gorgeous: spotted dick and jam roly poly, I really miss those. I've had a go at making them but they just don't taste the same. I even wrap them up in a teatowel, as she did, to boil them in and still they don't taste as nice; maybe I used a different washing powder

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top