Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: How Often Do You Use The Editing Option?

All the time, normally for typing errors and missing words out. Although quite often I'm editing text because I've insulted someone
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I think it's spelt.
It's either. Both are correct.

And it's 'grammar'. Sorry Lioness.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Spelled is American.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

hahahaha so funny, trust me Me and my granma I mean grammer, oh sod it
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Spelled is American.
I agree. It is, but it is also an alternative past tense for 'spell' in other English-speaking countries, including the UK.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/spelled-spelt/

To be precise, the Americans would never use 'spelt' as the past tense of 'spell', as to them the word 'spelt' is a form of wheat.

Moreover, as we are all aware, Americanisms abound in 'Real English' and, whilst I despair of this, it must be accepted.

As I no longer seem able to find any online English dictionaries(!), I took the trouble to plough through my Concise Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, which is several years old now. This, unfortunately, contains print so small (in order to condense a couple of dozen volumes into two) that you are obliged to use a magnifying glass. Even so, with my tired old eyes, it took a great deal of effort and I hope you appreciate it!

Nevertheless, the effort was worth it as that tome gives the past tense of 'spell' as 'spelled' and 'spelt' in that order, so the Americanism is well established in Real English!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top