Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Re: All gone quiet

I use to be on a forum where the members use to be up in arms if anyone hadn't posted for a while. Sometimes members decide to leave for other forums and don't like to admit it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 09:53 PM

I would have thought perhaps it's more embarrassing for folk if people keep sending them PM's, because then they might feel obliged to explain themselves and I'm not sure that's fair. Some might well prefer to quietly slip away and not be pestered by PM's.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I would have thought perhaps it's more embarrassing for folk if people keep sending them PM's, because then they might feel obliged to explain themselves and I'm not sure that's fair. Some might well prefer to quietly slip away and not be pestered by PM's.
Mups in that case they can switch them off .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Yes I suppose so. This only started as merely a passing thought Meg.
I know not long ago I asked if Alan was alright because his lovely morning photo's had stopped suddenly, and on that occasion, someone replied he was away on holiday and I had apparently missed his post telling us this.
We can't read every post, every day, so I thought maybe someone knew where our other two friends were as well. That's all there was to it.
As I said a while back, no harm was meant, but it's better if I don't enquire about anyone anymore if it's going to cause a rumpus.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:55 PM

I know not long ago I asked if Alan was alright because his lovely morning photo's had stopped suddenly, and on that occasion, someone replied he was away on holiday and I had apparently missed his post telling us this.
We can't read every post, every day, so I thought maybe someone knew where our other two friends were as well. That's all there was to it.
As I said a while back, no harm was meant, but it's better if I don't enquire about anyone anymore if it's going to cause a rumpus.
That's ok Mups the problem is once one person is mentioned by name people then start discussing other absent members (some of whom may be banned) . Then some member will complain that missing members are being discussed even when no names are mentioned
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Yes I remember - it was I who told you Alan had gone away for a few days.

If you'd sent him a PM he wouldn't have answered because he wasn't here!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

16-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes I remember - it was I who told you Alan had gone away for a few days.

If you'd sent him a PM he wouldn't have answered because he wasn't here!
I think that is a slightly different situation when someone has announced they are going on holiday
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Now that was taking things a bit too far!

When I took a break to catch up on things, and there's a danger I could do it again, I thought it fair to say so, rather than disappearing! But I wouldn't expect strangers to locate me and contact by phone. That really was un-necessary and intrusive.
I think that's the danger of sharing too much personal info, some folk can be either too trusting or too naivé online
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I think that's the danger of sharing too much personal info, some folk can be either too trusting or too naivé online
I'm a bit like that - Totally open.
I've encountered a few nasty pieces of work on internet forums in the past and it has worried me a bit what they could do to me if they tried. One even told me where I lived from clues he'd put together!!

Luckily he didn't come to visit..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 11:36 PM

Carol aren't you concerned that being too open online can be dangerous?
I never share too much, not even my name or location, the internet can be your friend or foe, I wouldn't take chances, there's too many head cases out there!

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top