Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 10:47 AM

Re: York Minster bells silenced

Originally Posted by JBR ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-37631061

Oh dear! How very Christian!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the authorities (the Dean and Chapter) would like all volunteers, as well as paid staff, to be under their collective thumbs.

I am reminded of a new Dean at Lincoln Cathedral some years ago, who adopted somewhat similar dictatorial attitudes. If I recall, he didn't remain in post for too long.

Here's hoping I don't receive any death threats for this post!
These events were being discussed on the radio this morning with the head ringer and some woman representing the Dean and Chapter .
Apparently there had been no warning, the bell ringers were just dismissed . What a way to treat folk who have given of their time so freely.

The woman tried to say it was all about 'security' and 'health and safety' the ringer easily dismissed this explanation.

I love to hear the bells, even a none religious person like me can appreciate them.

It seems all groups affiliated to the Cathedral are being 'assess' in other words brought under more careful control of the D and C.
It is just like something out of Trollop's 'Barchester Chronicles', some things never change
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Re: York Minster bells silenced

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well - this Dean has really upset a lot of people - the broiders, the flower arrangers and now the bell ringers. She wants them all replaced by 'professionals' even though they have been doing fantastic jobs for years and took pride in working for York Minster.

One has to ask - where is she going to find the money to pay all these professionals ? Surely it is an unnecessary drain on the Minster's coffers when they are always whinging about being short of funds.
Better to ask what her real reason is for taking this course of action. If someone chooses to offer their services to the church free of charge whatever that service is, they should be celebrated for it not abused and told they're `not fit for purpose`. And you wonder why church attendances are dropping. With the attitude of this Dean and others like her I'm not surprised.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top