Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Re: Sssh!! Whats that noise?

If I heard a noise downstairs Id see first if my son was in his room,and the dog or cat were with me,or on the landing,if so if wasnt them, so Id try to wake my son quietly, then creep a little way down the stairs in the dark [I dont have curtains on my landing window ],if I still heard/saw something I would go back up to my room,get my sonto come in my room then phone 999,and shut/.block my bedroom door with us , and animals , in,then wait for Police
If I woke to find someone in my room Id try to lay as quiet and still as possible untill theyd gone, hoping they didnt know I was awake,then phone Police
Several Years ago an elderly neighbour woke to find someone in her bedroom, she pretended to continue sleeping, even though he tried to wake her up,he eventually left taking her handbag with purse and credit cards,etc. The Police praised her for doing as she did , they said it could have been worse for her if the burglar had known she was awake
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 08:15 PM

The trouble is if you phone the police while the intruders are downstairs how long will it take for them to arrive? A lot of damage can be done before they get to you. No im afraid you have to look after yourself with whatever means it takes.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2015, 09:37 PM

TBH If someone comes into my house and I get the opportunity to have them without putting myself in grave danger then they wont be walking out
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 06:28 AM

The truth is you never know until it happens to you.

I came home from walking the dogs a couple of years ago and found my back door unlocked and on the latch.
I knew Id locked it,,
I crept in put the dogs into the garage where they would be safe and picked up the first thing to hand.. The handle of a hydralic jack.

Walking into the living room I heard someone moving about upstairs and so I hid behind the living room door ready to brain whatever scumbag was helping himself to my stuff.
As the person made his way downstairs I noticed a lunchbox on the dining room table, and called my husbands name..

The person on the stairs answered, my dear OH had felt unwell and returned home from work leaving the back door on the latch as he came in.
He wasnt happy to find he had been a few seconds away from having his head caved in and equally unhappy that I hadnt even thought of phoning the police..
The point is flight or fight, only when the situation arises do we react and it differs each time.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Where I live, I have a sports field at the bottom of my garden, and the pavilion with a flat on top.
One morning as I happened to look out of my bathroom window, I saw this scruffy bloke with a screwdriver trying to open one of the pavilions Windows. I dialled 999.
As I watched I saw Else who lived in the flat, returning from taking her kids to school and went in. The bloke had wandered around the front of the building.
I heard a police coming and turned off their bla bla thing as they got near.
I went downstairs to greet them and gave them the details.
A short while later one came out to me and asked. "Who is Mrs Laws?" "She lives in the flat" I explained.
It turned out that the bloke was the plumber and was trying to get into the pavilion as running water could be heard.
I then felt a right narna. I apologised to the police man for wasting their time.
He said I did the right thing as it did look and sound suspicious.
I took ages to live it down from Else and her OM.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2015, 02:37 PM

Well emjay, I still think that was the right thing to do. It's not up to us, the general public, to determine what they're doing and if they have that right. Let the police investigate, I say.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top