Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 10:16 PM

Re: Guantanamo

775 innocent men were locked in cages and tortured at Guantanamo ... some were even tortured to death there.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
775 innocent men were locked in cages and tortured at Guantanamo ... some were even tortured to death there.
How do we know they were innocent?
I know a guy who stole 2 cars, he never admitted the thefts, does this make him innocent?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the way they were treated, not at all.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 11:00 PM

I pinched his from another site

The US took Guantanamo Bay and five other Cuban harbors for US naval coaling stations during the 1898 Spanish-American War and its aftermath. By 1903, when an independent Cuban government had been elected and a treaty was signed, the US only wanted to continue using Guantanamo. The Cubans insisted that the treaty signed in 1903 and revised/renewed in 1934 include plenty of economic benefits for Cuba and the towns surrounding Guantanamo, and that the treaty remain in force until BOTH parties agreed to terminate it or until the US abandons the base. The Castro government's accession to power in 1959 and the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion led the Cubans to block all commercial and economic relations with the US base except for the employment of Cuban workers, cutting off one of Cuba's significant sources of business and foreign exchange.

The US finds the base to be very useful in supporting drug enforcement and interdiction operations and refugee operations in the Caribbean, and has chosen to continue to exercise its rights. The Castro government has attempted to portray the former governments as not competent to sign the treaty or to obligate Cuba, but has not been able to legally invalidate the treaty.

Interesting to see what happens - do they want it back and if they do, will they get it back?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Australia can have them then .
Send them to Nauru with all the rest of the people imprisoned there -men women and children .
People who haven't actually committed any crime but trying to make a life in Australia.
There she goes again!

You cannot possibly counter any of the points raised in the previous post with anything relevant or even intelligent.

So as always, you fly off on a ridiculous, totally unrelated tangent.
It really is a coward's ploy.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 03:39 AM

Uncle Sam says they are guilty, so where is the problem? Cut their knackers off and then send them to Zimbabwe.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
How do we know they were innocent?
Innocent until proven guilty. Innocent in a court of law. No substantiating evidence. No case against them. I'm sure you've heard those term.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 06:19 AM

There's no use carrying on a conversation with you, you're sarcasm is boring, to say the least.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

22-03-2016, 06:29 AM

Nothing sarcastic about what I wrote in my last message. Perhaps the vocabulary was too advanced? I seem to recall similar circumstances on two previous occasions. I don't know where the problem lies though I have a couple of theories, but this isn't the place for them. If you tell me exactly what part (sentence or word) of my response is sarcastic then we can dispense with them and get back to the Guantanamo thing ... their guilt or innocence.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

22-03-2016, 06:53 AM

Ps. I've prepared a PM but you are not accepting them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Innocent until proven guilty. Innocent in a court of law. No substantiating evidence. No case against them. I'm sure you've heard those term.
Hi

Well strangely enough some of these innocent detainees went on to commit terrorist attacks after they were released and some went back to fighting with terrorist groups.

Obviously not all of them were guilty of being terrorists, but neither are they all innocent.

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top