Join for free
Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 04:37 PM

Re: Is editing photos fair?

Would you consider running the competition Nom?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Would you consider running the competition Nom?
No Carol, im on a lot of photography forums already so ive seen what a few disruptive posters are capable of.

I feel sorry for Mags who has done so much for the photo section, im hoping to find where some that have left have gone.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Does not matter now as Mags has had enough, time for harder moderation, the trash can does not work.
Is Mags not doing the Competition any more?
I agree with you Nom, it seems the Trash Can has become a sort of "badge of honour" for those who like to stir up feelings.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 05:19 PM

Perhaps a monthly theme thread, without voting could replace the competition?
Just a suggestion...

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 05:23 PM

Tell you what ... this has to qualify as the worst 'shooting self in foot' squabble ever on here.
It's nothing to do with modding but a problem that has arisen over people questioning the exact criteria of what constitutes a legitimate entry.

I wish it could be resolved .. .I really do. I can't imagine no photography competition.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps a monthly theme thread, without voting could replace the competition?
Just a suggestion...

Aw ... come here and don't be so sad.
Perhaps when everyone has had their say it'll be resolved.
Never say never.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 05:43 PM

I'm sorry to see the photo competitions go but thanks Mags for running them over the years.

The crumbling of them was quick and it seems the trouble initially started when questions about the validity of some photographs was questioned within the competition thread, a place that should be for the photographs and possibly a few "good photo" or "well done" remarks.

In retrospect, it would have been better if rumblings about photos had not been mentioned at all. People accepted or rejected photos with their votes and I reckon that was good enough. Anyone feeling disadvantaged by what others post need not enter the competitions, or just keep snapping, posting and trying. No pressures or prizes anyway.

It was with good intention that I started a thread for discussing what was and wasn't acceptable in photos. I thought it might be of service in keeping the debate out of the actual competition thread. Unfortunately, it could have been partly instrumental in getting the competitions closed ..or I feel it has been. I hoped it might have made life easier for the Mods but this obviously hasn't been the case.

As regards editing, if a voter cannot see that a photo has been brightened or sharpened, then it just shows how little work has been done. It is easy to spot if editing has been overdone, even if not an expert. There will be a certain quality to the photo that makes it look 'not right'.

Another point. Resizing photos for forum display can spoil the sharpness of photos because to do this, the resizing program has to lose a good number of the pixels that go to make up the original image. This subsequently means a loss in fine detail. I think it's fair enough to put that edge detail back artificially by using the sharpness control in a photo editing program. I feel a factor of '12' is about enough to do that.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Tell you what ... this has to qualify as the worst 'shooting self in foot' squabble ever on here.
It's nothing to do with modding but a problem that has arisen over people questioning the exact criteria of what constitutes a legitimate entry.

I wish it could be resolved .. .I really do. I can't imagine no photography competition.
And look who instigated this last spat.....Walter Rehab...the guy who imports para photos from another site.

What a toss pot.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I take a photo and apart from cropping out lots of black sky I do nothing.
Way to go mate, that is the answer.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Photoshopping an image is not new, but was used by film photographers from the year dot when developing pictures. Many modern photographers use digital enhancement to change the nature of an image, best examples being on models eradicating wrinkles and blemishes or slimming waistlines and enhancing boobs etc.
t

There are of course creative uses of PS, HDR, Urbex, Selective coloring, to name a few.

Most of my photos are of natural subjects, wildlife, flora, or landscape, so i try to present them as i photographed them, usually i will crop for composition, reduce in size for the web, and a light sharpen and nothing more.

So we can see that there are reasons to use editing programs for many reason.

When it comes to presenting your work, then that can open up a can of worms if its at a competitive level. The most famous was the guy who won a major Wildlife photography competition with a Wolf jumping a fence, it turned out to be a captive animal, simply cheating.

But a photo is much more than what the camera can see and produce, its about the creative input from the photographer behind the lens, so a good eye for an image is still in my opinion the most important part of photography.

Some sites set limits on their photo comps, depending on what level they are set at.

From anything goes, to set rules, like must be taken by the poster, only cropping, straightening, and sharpening allowed.

This is not a photography site, but it plays a good part of the forums, im for not turning it into a critique fest, but i am for encouraging others to join in the fun , and if someone has a question then help if i can without being condescending.
Succinct.
This is, as far as I'm aware, a fun site and a fun competition. No prizes, just perhaps, the qudos of winning a monthly photo competition and naming the following months subject.
Perhaps Malcolm was jesting when he posted his Photoshopped entries and that should be taken in jest. Are the rules clear regarding Photoshopped entries, perhaps not. Tessas winning entry did? perhaps fall into this category? She won and that is the end of it ( good pic too )
This months competition was up in the air. Even that was questioned. Nom and others posted the CLEAR message regarding the interpretation and even that was questioned by a certain poster.
My two photos were taken on an old camera in 2007, way before I discovered DSLR and Lightroom ( the one that I still haven't got to grips with yet ) Mine were processed through Picassa.
I, like others, try to take and post, natural photos. Sometimes though, they might require cropping etc, but never through expensive post production sites.
In retrospect, Tootsweet always posts great photos AND states his source. As Nom stated in another thread, he has checked all of the photos in this months competition and all are genuine.
That leaves us the question, do we still enter the competition on the grounds of the CLEARLY stated rules, as they stand, or request another photo comp where, anything goes?
As an aside. Nom, please do not stop posting your photos.

Page 5 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top