Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 05:55 PM

Re: Should Animals be Used for Research ?

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Yes, well if we all lived in the outback .....
Not sure if this was directed at me or at Aussies in general.
In either case, one should be aware that a very, very small percentage of Australians live in the "outback".
The vast, vast majority thrive around the coastline or on the arable lands just adjacent.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Once again I question the mind of the person able to do this as a daily job.
If you should wish to read it..

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...-laboratories/
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 06:09 PM

.... one pig: US military trauma training.
“They shot him twice in the face with a 9-millimeter pistol, and then six times with an AK-47 and then twice with a 12-gauge shotgun. And then he was set on fire !! Lived for 15 hours afterwards.
Rare indeed for me to defend the Yanks - particularly the Yank military
but if one reads this account in full, many would find it justifiable.
A few pigs suffer so that effective treatment can be more likely for wounded soldiers in the field.
I wonder if the 'shock-horror' would be as great if they were wounded British soldiers whose lives were saved because of the medic-training using pigs.

"
Petty Officer Kirby began to list the schools he had attended to be ready for this moment.
Some he had paid for himself, he said, to be extra-prepared.

In one course, an advanced trauma treatment program he had taken before deploying, he said, the instructors gave each corpsman an anesthetized pig.

The idea is to work with live tissue,” he said. “You get a pig and you keep it alive. And every time I did something to help him, they would wound him again. So you see what shock does, and what happens when more wounds are received by a wounded creature.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/wo...t/02medic.html
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Other species of animals are there for human use so I have no problem with animals being used for medical research, as long as they don't suffer anymore than necessary.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 06:26 PM

*US military trauma training.“They shot him twice in the face with a 9-millimeter pistol, and then six times with an AK-47 and then twice with a 12-gauge shotgun. And then he was set on fire !! Lived for 15 hours afterwards.

Have you got a link to a credible source to these claims?

Having a very limited knowledge of this type of injury and the effects on the body I find this very hard to believe.
Pumicestone
Australia

06-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Refer to my post #43, Tpin - or google Muddle's first line
"one pig: US military trauma training."
You will find a heap of reports.

You are right though. If someone quotes like that they should acknowledge that it has been pinched from elsewhere and provide their source.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 06:43 PM

If you should wish to read it..

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...-laboratories/

I'll decline the link if you don't mind PD. I have read about this before, so while back, and knowing more gruesome details will not do me any good, nor help these poor animals.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Have you got a link to a credible source to these claims?

Having a very limited knowledge of this type of injury and the effects on the body I find this very hard to believe.
Tpin, I could put links up for everything I have said, but unless people want to see vile video footage I shall refrain, as it is upsetting and I could be accused of causing traumatic suffering to humans. If you really want me to, I will.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 07:04 PM

I dont believe it when such a report starts with "an observer witnessed"
And then it appears on animal welfare sites.
Pumicestone
Australia

06-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I dont believe it when such a report starts with "an observer witnessed"
And then it appears on animal welfare sites.
I agree, Tpin - but the site I gave seems to have a tad more credibility - naming those involved etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/wo...t/02medic.html
AND - as I said, you can find a heap of other supporting sources using Google.

No normal person likes to see any animal suffer but if it comes to a choice between a few animals or a whole lot of humans ...... ???

And then of course, there are all those who don't give a rat's how much suffering is caused by rotten, predatory, introduced, carnivorous cats ....

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top