Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Re: Rat in the garden

I hate to tell you but rats front teeth grow four and a half to five and a half inches each year. They have to wear them down so continuously gnaw on everything around them, including cement, brick, wood, lead pipes and anything that will assist with their gnawing.A rat matures at 3 to 4 months old and can mate with as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour receptivity - this is 15 times a year!! So a pair of rats can produce as many as 2,000 descendants in a year if left to breed unchecked.

The local council exterminator told me this. GULP.

GET RID OF THAT RAT PLEASE!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The tame fancy rats make lovely pets. If handled from very young & trained they are rather sweet. We had several over the years, all females, when my Son was a lad, they used to run around the living room & if the sensed danger would run to the nearest human & climb onto our shoulders, they were very cute, but they only live a couple of years & Son got so upset when they died we said no more.
Oh dear Tiffany, that photograph brings back memories of when I was in the WRAF. One Airwoman went home for the weekend, her parents owned a pet shop. She brought back to the WAAF Block a "Desert Rat" (they all look the same to me) and let it loose in the television room. Unsuspecting me walked in, went to get a magazine from the magazine rack in the corner of the room and this rat pounced and latched its teeth into my index finger. Its teeth went right in. I didn't care if I was killing it, I was dancing around in agony, the pain was unbearable! She was saying, don't hurt him! whilst I was wacking him against the wall to loosen his grip on my finger!
He finally let go and I was stood there with blood dripping all down my arm. I ended up having to go to the Medical Centre and have a tetanus injection in my bottom by a medic who would not stop laughing! most embarrassing.
Hate the bloomin things.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh dear Tiffany, that photograph brings back memories of when I was in the WRAF. One Airwoman went home for the weekend, her parents owned a pet shop. She brought back to the WAAF Block a "Desert Rat" (they all look the same to me) and let it loose in the television room. Unsuspecting me walked in, went to get a magazine from the magazine rack in the corner of the room and this rat pounced and latched its teeth into my index finger. Its teeth went right in. I didn't care if I was killing it, I was dancing around in agony, the pain was unbearable! She was saying, don't hurt him! whilst I was wacking him against the wall to loosen his grip on my finger!
He finally let go and I was stood there with blood dripping all down my arm. I ended up having to go to the Medical Centre and have a tetanus injection in my bottom by a medic who would not stop laughing! most embarrassing.
Hate the bloomin things.
No wonder you hate rats. Ours never bit, they were clean & very friendly, not like the stray ferret we found, but that is another story.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Shropshiregirl you poor thing

My son a couple of pet rats once they were very sweet and friendly although they did eat a hole in the sofa .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Shropshiregirl you poor thing

My son a couple of pet rats once they were very sweet and friendly although they did eat a hole in the sofa .
Ours never chewed anything, but they used to hide in awkward places, specially if the didn't want to go back in their cage. Sometimes they'd come when called, but they seemed to sense when it was cage time. The only thing I could never get used to was their bald tails, now if they had nice furry ones they's have been perfect pets. They make better pets for children I think, because they aren't nocturnal like hamsters & are ready to come out & play anytime, if handled properly they never bite either, hamsters do, they are very grumpy.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Do 'pet' rats carry Lepto like the wild ones?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do 'pet' rats carry Lepto like the wild ones?
No, I don't think so, ours were perfectly healthy. I'll Google it.

It seems unlikely to catch it from pet rats.
https://zoonotica.wordpress.com/2011...weils-disease/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Interesting Tiff. Thanks.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Interesting Tiff. Thanks.
I was wanting to know myself after you posted. So you are welcome.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-11-2017, 01:39 PM

A young lad with learning disabilities who helped out at the local animal rescue here, died earlier this year with Lepto.
The place was alive with rats when I visited.

My old boss's dog also died with Lepto on their farm, so I am very aware of it, just didn't know the position with pet rats.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top