Join for free
Page 566 of 1676 « First < 66 466 516 556 564 565 566 567 568 576 616 666 1066 1566 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Here the opening paragraph of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds:

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

AAhhhh they dont write stuff like that anymore
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Timing is everything, yet so many have got it wrong, firstly the Mayans, then H G Wells, only the Mayans have a better excuse, on the time scale, a greater margin of error, everyone needs a night with Miss Calculation.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:23 PM

Eloi Eloi Eloi, what's going on here then?

Morlocks, Mayan or Mayan-not predict life ends on December 21st
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:27 PM

I dunno, just glad the Millennium Bug was just a digital throwback.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Very relaxing video that Sweetie.

Miss Calculation and Major Disaster often go hand in hand.
My great Uncle Fergus was Mayan, so Mayan that he wouldn’t spend Christmas.

Indeed they don’t write like that anymore RJ. Wells was way ahead of his time, he did his best to try to get mankind to live in harmony, but even he had to give up that idea in the end. He once said that it might be better if another species replaced mankind, I’m inclined to agree with him.
I like his chosen epitaph “I told you so. You damned fools” Pity they had him cremated and his ashes thrown into the English Channel at “Old Harry Rocks” I wonder is that near “Old Nellie Rolls”
I didn’t know he wrote “The History of Mr. Polly”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

03-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Is there a right time for Reflective Disclosure?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Goodnight Possums.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Sweetie, can we have Gummy back now please.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Have you ever wondered that we could be the only planet in the universe with life on it? We all used to think that one time but it’s gone out of fashion now, we all want to go to Mars and the like, take all the good things off the Martians or wherever we find natives in exchange for strings of glass beads, then return to earth rich and famous.
All the evidence we have to date seems to suggest we are alone, not a sign of the tiniest amount of bacteria has been found or spotted anywhere else in the great beyond.
We are truly unique, that in itself is very spiritualistic don’t you think? We are special, yet we don’t appreciate that, we continue to ravage this beautiful big blue planet of ours in pursuit of wealth and power, we really are an ungrateful despicable species when you come to think about it.
I hope future generations will have more sense and start to give something back to the earth instead of taking everything out, turning it into plastic junk and stuffing up the oceans with it.
And that concludes this political broadcast on behalf of the Green Party.

Reminds me of an old chestnut.
The madly in love couple were honeymooning in a country house, the farmer’s wife brought their breakfast up to the bedroom each morning but they kept refusing it saying through the door “We don’t need it missus, we’re living on love”
After a few days the farmer’s wife got cheesed off and she banged hard on the bedroom door “Your breakfast is ready again” “We don’t want it missus, we’re living on love” “Well for Gods sake stop throwing the skins out the window, they’re choking the chickens”
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sweetie, can we have Gummy back now please.
Oiy you I only borrowed him.
From his posts at the weekend, I believe he is being thoroughly spoilt at his son's. Be patient he will return.

Good Afternoon everyone.
Jem I sometimes wonder if there is life in me, let alone other planets.

Page 566 of 1676 « First < 66 466 516 556 564 565 566 567 568 576 616 666 1066 1566 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top