Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Re: Wood saws

I'm not doing anything really, dongles, it was all supposed to be such a simple idea.

I had got some long wooden strips about 2 x 1, and all I wanted to do was cut them up into loads of 6 - 8" lengths to use under my tubs and pots because I had run out of pot feet. I didn't expect all this hassle.

I get so frustrated when something a child could do gets more and more complicated and turns into a saga like this. I bet you'd have done it in 10 minutes.

Anyway, let's hope my new saw is OK this time and I can get on with it now.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm not doing anything really, dongles, it was all supposed to be such a simple idea.

I had got some long wooden strips about 2 x 1, and all I wanted to do was cut them up into loads of 6 - 8" lengths to use under my tubs and pots because I had run out of pot feet. I didn't expect all this hassle.

I get so frustrated when something a child could do gets more and more complicated and turns into a saga like this. I bet you'd have done it in 10 minutes.

Best of luck Mups

I'd probably have used bits of paving ... bashed into smaller pieces with a club hammer. Wood will eventually rot.

Just saying
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Best of luck Mups

I'd probably have used bits of paving ... bashed into smaller pieces with a club hammer. Wood will eventually rot.

Just saying

Yeah, I know, but I hadn't got any spare slabs I could smash up, but had got some bits of wood.

I will have some slabs later in the year as I hope to get a bit of the patio relaid, but the wood'll do for now.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I know, but I hadn't got any spare slabs I could smash up, but had got some bits of wood.

I will have some slabs later in the year as I hope to get a bit of the patio relaid, but the wood'll do for now.

Shame you don't live nearer ... you could have some of my stuff.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Five minutes including a tea break

(Takes cover)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Five minutes including a tea break

(Takes cover)

I don't believe a word of it! Bloomin' cheek.

Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 09:14 PM

Hi Mups
I don't often read threads as long as this but I did want to find out if you (eventualy) sorted out your little problem.

Bit late now and I think already mentioned by someone but for future reference ALL wood sold in B&Q and Homebase is SOFTWOOD.

There are four groups of softwoods but basically they are all commonly known as Conifers and characterised by needle like foliage which is usually evergreen.

The common names are Pine, Spruce, and Fir and you will likely see them in parks and of course in forests.

Almost all the B&Q and Homebase softwood comes from Scandinavia, again as mentioned above it's rubbish (from a serious woodworkers point of view) but as it happens ideal for what you wanted.

Yes, untreated wood rots (treated wood rots too but at a slower rate) but again for your use it will be many years and your pots will likely have long gone by then

One final point which I don't think anyone has mentioned but is very important is that hand sawing of any wood is made a 100 nay a 1000 times easier if it is HELD SECURELY it also much safer too.

So could I urge you to pop back to B&Q and find the nice bearded gentleman and ask him to show you simple, cheap, CRAMPS that you can use to hold your wood to a table or whatever. £10 should cover it. (A 'bench hook' would cheaper but B&Q won't sell them) and you will find all your future little hand saw jobs faster, easier, and most important (since we don't want to loose you) safer
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Hi Mups
I don't often read threads as long as this but I did want to find out if you (eventualy) sorted out your little problem.

Bit late now and I think already mentioned by someone but for future reference ALL wood sold in B&Q and Homebase is SOFTWOOD.

There are four groups of softwoods but basically they are all commonly known as Conifers and characterised by needle like foliage which is usually evergreen.

The common names are Pine, Spruce, and Fir and you will likely see them in parks and of course in forests.

Almost all the B&Q and Homebase softwood comes from Scandinavia, again as mentioned above it's rubbish (from a serious woodworkers point of view) but as it happens ideal for what you wanted.

Yes, untreated wood rots (treated wood rots too but at a slower rate) but again for your use it will be many years and your pots will likely have long gone by then

One final point which I don't think anyone has mentioned but is very important is that hand sawing of any wood is made a 100 nay a 1000 times easier if it is HELD SECURELY it also much safer too.

So could I urge you to pop back to B&Q and find the nice bearded gentleman and ask him to show you simple, cheap, CRAMPS that you can use to hold your wood to a table or whatever. £10 should cover it. (A 'bench hook' would cheaper but B&Q won't sell them) and you will find all your future little hand saw jobs faster, easier, and most important (since we don't want to loose you) safer
Alternatively, just plonk the wood on a bench, chair, whatever, hold it down with your foot (if necessary) and saw it

Simples

FGS ... men can do it ... ie not rocket science innit
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Thank you for your advice Losos.

I have a vice (no, not that sort ) in the shed, fixed to the bench, so if I feel vaguely efficient I use that.
Otherwise it's mostly like Rachel said only usually an upturned tub, or hanging over the edge of whatever is nearest.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 11:59 PM

Wood you like me to come to your place with my chainsaw and cut some would for you, Mupsy?

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top