Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Re: Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

Believe it or not, many years ago, I enrolled on a car maintenance course.

I never did learn which was the bonnet and which was the boot, and chucked it in in the end.

I can do my oil, tyres, and window squirter, but that's about it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Believe it or not, many years ago, I enrolled on a car maintenance course.

I never did learn which was the bonnet and which was the boot, and chucked it in in the end.

I can do my oil, tyres, and window squirter, but that's about it.
Yes all the old DIY skills have gone. I used to use a strobe to set in the timing , something like 8 degrees before top dead centre (TDC) or there abouts if my memory is correct, depending on the car.

That is on the pulley there was a nick ( i painted a white mark on it, easier to see) so with number 1 spark plug connected to the strobe it use to flash in time with the mark and you adjusted it via the distributer to the correct setting

my strobe you could adjust as well for spot on timing
Talk to anyone now about the OTTO cycle and they think you are nuts.
Otto cycle is- ignition -compression- firing-exhaust.

Oh those were the days. it used to be Horse Power (HP) now it is all about cubic capacity (CC)
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes all the old DIY skills have gone. I used to use a strobe to set in the timing , something like 8 degrees before top dead centre (TDC) or there abouts if my memory is correct, depending on the car.

That is on the pulley there was a nick ( i painted a white mark on it, easier to see) so with number 1 spark plug connected to the strobe it use to flash in time with the mark and you adjusted it via the distributer to the correct setting

my strobe you could adjust as well for spot on timing
Talk to anyone now about the OTTO cycle and they think you are nuts.
Otto cycle is- ignition -compression- firing-exhaust.

Oh those were the days. it used to be Horse Power (HP) now it is all about cubic capacity (CC)
Still got my strobe light , what about setting the points or adjusting the tappets? using a feeler gauge, ah happy days...!!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Still got my strobe light , what about setting the points or adjusting the tappets? using a feeler gauge, ah happy days...!!
Ah yes, the days of failing to get to your destination on time...if at all.

The days of ruined holidays.

The good old days of unreliabilit...oh how I miss them
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I'm scared of admin...!!!
Primus, Don't be such a wuss!
Seriously, I really think a Motoring section would be very interesting and helpful to car owners.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Primus, Don't be such a wuss!
Seriously, I really think a Motoring section would be very interesting and helpful to car owners.
I do too....being an owner of the notorious RX-8 I'll probably need all the help I can get in the not so distant future.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Mupsy, I bet you are one of those Ladies who gets a Bucket, to "Dip" the Clutch.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I do too....being an owner of the notorious RX-8 I'll probably need all the help I can get in the not so distant future.
RX-8, Psychological help probably.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
RX-8, Psychological help probably.
How very dare you....they are a masterpiece of engineering quality....230bhp, 0-60 sub 6 sec, 150mph top speed all out of 1300cc.....apart from unreliability...what's not to like
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-05-2017, 10:35 PM

I prefer a straight six.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top