Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Re: Grey Squirrels Like or Dislike

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So are we Julie, cruelty and killing is part of the human condition.
Sadly, I think you are right.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 09:38 AM

Don't all creatures evolve to increase survival rates in the environment they live? In most cases humans are responsible for moving them to different environments, which they haven't evolved to survive in. If we had left the grey squirrels where they belonged then they wouldn't be causing problems here and the red ones would have better lives.
Having said this I will also say that there is no way I would kill a creature, just because some idiot humans, of the past, had made the mistake of transporting them to a land, where they have proved to be stronger than our own creatures.
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by twink55 ->
don't all creatures evolve to increase survival rates in the environment they live? In most cases humans are responsible for moving them to different environments, which they haven't evolved to survive in. If we had left the grey squirrels where they belonged then they wouldn't be causing problems here and the red ones would have better lives.
Having said this i will also say that there is no way i would kill a creature, just because some idiot humans, of the past, had made the mistake of transporting them to a land, where they have proved to be stronger than our own creatures.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Don't all creatures evolve to increase survival rates in the environment they live? In most cases humans are responsible for moving them to different environments, which they haven't evolved to survive in. If we had left the grey squirrels where they belonged then they wouldn't be causing problems here and the red ones would have better lives.
Having said this I will also say that there is no way I would kill a creature, just because some idiot humans, of the past, had made the mistake of transporting them to a land, where they have proved to be stronger than our own creatures.
Well that is your opinion, mine is different any animal which becomes a problem to humans should be put down as humanely as possible. We are the superior species, even if we are far from perfect.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Well that is your opinion, mine is different any animal which becomes a problem to humans should be put down as humanely as possible. We are the superior species, even if we are far from perfect.
Well your reading skills certainly are far from perfect! I was merely pointing out that " this supposed superior species" are the ones causing the problem, by bringing creatures into environments where the native creatures are unable to deal with them. Apart from humans being the idiot perpetrators of this action, they were not mentioned in my post. Unless of course you believe that we are so superior that we should be able to do as we please..... and eventually destroy the whole planet
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Have to say I disagree with that, we are far from superior, we may think we are but we will meet our match one day probably a tiny micro organism wipe us out and the world would carry on better without us. No other animal has caused so much damage as we have.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 02:25 PM

They are feisty little beggars but cute to watch they eat peanuts in my garden.
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
have to say i disagree with that, we are far from superior, we may think we are but we will meet our match one day probably a tiny micro organism wipe us out and the world would carry on better without us. No other animal has caused so much damage as we have.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It was in a sanctuary Nom not out in the wild. What we humans do to greys is pretty barbaric btw, found several over last couple of years half dead from air rifle pellets and traps. The greys are doing what nature tells them to what's our excuse ?

The greys carry squirrel pox which kills our native reds, they are classed as vermin and should not be here, what part of this do you not understand. Left uncontrolled they will eradicate reds in the UK, ARE YOU SAYING THATS OK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 12:05 PM

And reds are carrying leprosy UK red squirrels carry 'a form of leprosy' - scientists
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37949557

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top