Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Re: Inedible foods.

I couldn't possible eat tongue - it's come out of an animal's mouth.
So I always ask for an egg instead.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I used to have to cook dozens of sheeps heads for the dogs when I worked in kennels. They used to turn my stomach when taking the meat off them especial the eyes and brains.

Sometimes I couldn't keep up with them and so buried some in the wood. Heaven knows what people will think if they are ever dug up, witchcraft ?

How any person can eat them is beyond me, I can't cope with meat which looks like an animal
I was given some sheep's heads for my dogs and ferrets but couldn't fit them in the pan so I got an axe and chopped them up. A friend came round and was horrified when I turned round cos I'd got blood splattered all over my face and tee shirt, and hands were covered in it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
I was given some sheep's heads for my dogs and ferrets but couldn't fit them in the pan so I got an axe and chopped them up. A friend came round and was horrified when I turned round cos I'd got blood splattered all over my face and tee shirt, and hands were covered in it.

Ahhhh the phantom Axe-woman of old Salford!!!!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 09:12 AM

home pickled ox tongue gorgeous, like shop bought ox and pork tongue too but home cooked different taste. Not had that for yrs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 12:06 PM

home pickled ox tongue gorgeous, like shop bought ox and pork tongue too but home cooked different taste. Not had that for yrs.
Never done a tongue at home (grandma did though). I do like tongue (I think maybe my joke fell on deaf ears). I buy the cooked pressed tongue from the deli counter, but only in small quantities because I am the only one who likes it. OH can't stand even to think about it, but not me I'll eat (or at least try) almost anything.

Thinking about cooking for dogs - for years I used to get something called smelts from the butcher (think it might have been spleen and lights - certainly some sort of offal). Everyone left the house whenever it was on the boil, but it made a lovely gravy and was gobbled up in no time by the dogs - cheap as chips as well, but chiips are not as good as smelts for dogs, so we had the chips.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Absolutely NOT Barry, Porridge is the traditional cereal of the Highland Scots and when it first became popular both milk and sugar were either scarce or not available. Hence they ate it made with water and put salt on it. I ate it that way at college some 25 years ago.

Perhaps we should ask our resident Highland Oracle - Roxy darlin' - where are you???
Your quite right Geoff, my Dad used to eat it this way, along with a lot of the older Highlanders, but I can't eat it any way. It's the Texture of it.....just makes me retch. Also can't eat Haggis, liver, prunes, tripe, kidneys, black or white pudding.....shudder. I know there's more but I can't think of them all at the moment.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

21-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Never done a tongue at home (grandma did though). I do like tongue (I think maybe my joke fell on deaf ears). I buy the cooked pressed tongue from the deli counter, but only in small quantities because I am the only one who likes it. OH can't stand even to think about it, but not me I'll eat (or at least try) almost anything.

Thinking about cooking for dogs - for years I used to get something called smelts from the butcher (think it might have been spleen and lights - certainly some sort of offal). Everyone left the house whenever it was on the boil, but it made a lovely gravy and was gobbled up in no time by the dogs - cheap as chips as well, but chiips are not as good as smelts for dogs, so we had the chips.
When I first got a freezer I went to Co-op and bought 1/2 pig, very nice butcher man who chopped it all up and explained to me about making brawn, not one of my favourite foods so roasted head and sliced a piece of the cheek off to try it unfortunately I didn't look properly and bit down on something hard, turned out to be pigs tooth. The dogs had a lovely supper.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.

21-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I couldn't possible eat tongue - it's come out of an animal's mouth.
So I always ask for an egg instead.
Sorry Aerolor did miss the joke got it now though
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2013, 09:50 PM

When I first got a freezer I went to Co-op and bought 1/2 pig, very nice butcher man who chopped it all up and explained to me about making brawn, not one of my favourite foods so roasted head and sliced a piece of the cheek off to try it unfortunately I didn't look properly and bit down on something hard, turned out to be pigs tooth. The dogs had a lovely supper.
Oh dear Hazel - you kept your own teeth intact though, I hope.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 10:35 PM

I do have another suggestion for you, another Norwegian dish that you really would not like to go near, it stinks, so here it is and the cooking method just in case anyone would like to try it.

LUTEFISK,

Lutefisk is made from dried whitefish (normally cod in Norway, but ling is also used) prepared with lye in a sequence of particular treatments. The watering steps of these treatments differ slightly for salted/dried whitefish because of its high salt content.
The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent producing a jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) is caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

After the preparation, the lutefisk is saturated with water and must therefore be cooked carefully so that it does not fall into pieces.

To create a firm consistency in lutefisk, it is common to spread a layer of salt over the fish half an hour before it is cooked. This will "release" some of the water in the fish meat. The salt must be rinsed off before cooking.
There are several ways to cook lutefisk:
Lutefisk does not need additional water for the cooking; it is sufficient to place it in a pan, salt it, seal the lid tightly, and let it steam cook under a very low heat for 20–25 minutes. An alternative is to wrap in aluminium foil and bake at 225 °C (435 °F) for 40–50 minutes.
Another option is to parboil lutefisk; wrap the lutefisk in cheesecloth and gently boil until tender. This usually takes a very short time, so care must be taken to watch the fish and remove it before it falls apart. Prepare a white sauce to serve over the lutefisk.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top