Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Re: Austerity - a financially discredited policy

Austerity isn't merely discredited, it is economically illiterate. The kind of neo-liberal economics espoused by all three mainstream parties (if you can count the Limp Dems as remotely significant any more) are interested solely in maximising profits for the corporate rich who, in effect, run the West. Their interest in the majority of society is purely episodic and opportunistic (when it suits their needs). To make our society work once more we need to return to Keynsian economics with a massive publicly funded housebuilding initiative which will increase spending power and stimulate all aspects of the economy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Tsk tsk Julie your halo is slipping .
Facts please I have never said i support austerity.
I haven't got a halo never claimed to but I was referring to whatever I say you pick up to say opposite.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Austerity isn't merely discredited, it is economically illiterate. The kind of neo-liberal economics espoused by all three mainstream parties (if you can count the Limp Dems as remotely significant any more) are interested solely in maximising profits for the corporate rich who, in effect, run the West. Their interest in the majority of society is purely episodic and opportunistic (when it suits their needs). To make our society work once more we need to return to Keynsian economics with a massive publicly funded housebuilding initiative which will increase spending power and stimulate all aspects of the economy.
Now thats a sensible post IMO sadly they are so far in the trough I can't see them doing it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I haven't got a halo never claimed to but I was referring to whatever I say you pick up to say opposite.
If you say things like i support austerity which is patently not true nor have i ever expressed any such inclination expect to be corrected.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 08:33 PM

There is an interesting program on now ( BBC2) about tax avoidance by the super rich.
In the 1970s the Tories slashed the tax from 83% to 65% for the super rich.
Mrs T believed that lower taxes would stimulate growth and the poor would benefit from the trickle down effect.
In fact it doesn't work rather the rich get richer and the poor stay where they are
There is also stagnation in the Middle Classes they are no longer as Middle as they were - they are also getting poorer.
They are also hit most by Inheritance Tax
The next generations ( our children and grandchildren) will be the first to be poorer than their parents.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If you say things like i support austerity which is patently not true nor have i ever expressed any such inclination expect to be corrected.
Only flaw with that is I didn't say it, you read it that way because it was me wrote it anyone else said it you would have understood and not gone off like that. You treat me different to all other posters.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->

it doesn't surprise me you support it.

???????

I dont treat you different to anyone else Julie that is your erroneous perception .
We just have different opinions on certain subjects .

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top