Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 06:07 AM

Re: Return of milk bottles !!

I always freeze my milk, so I hope glass doesn't reappear as glass cracks.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Can you imagine nowadays leaving the milk money under an empty bottle like we used to? It wouldn't be there five minutes.
Yes you are right PD, but surely we have other methods of payment
now don't we ?
It would take up too much of the milkman's time otherwise ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Morrisons supermarkets are planning to reintroduce glass milk
bottles to their shelves to cut down on the use of plastics !!
They also cite a lifespan of up to ten years for these bottles which
can only be good !
The downsides are likely to be the collection and washing of the
empties in this throwaway age ??
Hopefully it could mean the return of the milkman too ?

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗🤗
The thought of Milk Bottles rattling and banging their way, onto my doorstep, at crack of dawn, is not a pleasant one.

"The Dawn Chorus" of noisy bottles, before the birds wake up, is bigger than an alarm clock!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Memories of my parents arguing about who had paid the milkman (or not) for some reason it was a cause of stress and I remember my dad running down the road in his pajamas & cash to catch the milk float !
Praps the Milky had buggered orf without leaving the milk due to
non payment Annie ?? 🤗🤗

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

17-06-2021, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh we have the cows, but perhaps not the "registered" producers/distributors. There'll be some silly law about it. I think we are mostly known for meat though, rather than dairy cows. Aberdeen Angus - v - Devon Cream? Best example I could come up with at this time of night
Yes you have the cows Pixie, but are they tubercular tested cows ?
I believe milk can spread tuberculosis if it's infected ?
Obviously a vet will have to test the cows and clip a tag to their ear,
for which there will be a vets fee !! Maybe the Scottish farmers
are too cannie to pay this ?? 😀

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes you have the cows Pixie, but are they tubercular tested cows ?
I believe milk can spread tuberculosis if it's infected ?
Obviously a vet will have to test the cows and clip a tag to their ear,
for which there will be a vets fee !! Maybe the Scottish farmers
are too cannie to pay this ?? 😀

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Donkeyman, I'm afraid I'm not well versed in the testing of cows, but I'm fairly sure the farmers all do the regulatory checks and tests. Nothing is too expensive for our bovine friends! I didn't get TB from drinking the milk, and would do it again in a minute!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Many on here were probably brought up on non-pasteurised milk and have suffered no ill-effects. Those who have pasteurised milk nowadays might even lose out on the effects of pasteurising milk. As well as destroying anything detrimental it also is said to destroy what could be beneficial:

https://www.organicpastures.com/blog...ve-your-health

https://nourishedkitchen.com/10-reasons-drink-raw-milk/
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Many on here were probably brought up on non-pasteurised milk and have suffered no ill-effects. Those who have pasteurised milk nowadays might even lose out on the effects of pasteurising milk. As well as destroying anything detrimental it also is said to destroy what could be beneficial:

https://www.organicpastures.com/blog...ve-your-health

https://nourishedkitchen.com/10-reasons-drink-raw-milk/
Read the article from The Nourished Kitchen site, I noticed a paragraph which I wanted to share here:
"...raw milk clabbers.
Leave a carton of pasteurized milk out on the counter for a few days, and you'll end up with a putrid, stinking glop. By contrast, raw milk will clabber as its naturally occurring beneficial lactic-acid producing bacteria proliferate and turn raw milk into a probiotic-rich, yogurt-like food. Bonny clabber is a traditional food originally from Scotland, though most peoples across the globe enjoy similarly clabbered milks through their traditional food heritage. Clabbered raw milk is not only edible, but particularly healthful as its sugars have been metabolized by lactic-acid producing bacteria and continue to proliferate. Moreover, milk that has been subject to pasteurization at ultra-high temperatures isn't even suitable for cheesemaking......"

Now I haven't even heard of this Clabbers, but I really want to try some now!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Read the article from The Nourished Kitchen site, I noticed a paragraph which I wanted to share here:
"...raw milk clabbers.
Leave a carton of pasteurized milk out on the counter for a few days, and you'll end up with a putrid, stinking glop. By contrast, raw milk will clabber as its naturally occurring beneficial lactic-acid producing bacteria proliferate and turn raw milk into a probiotic-rich, yogurt-like food. Bonny clabber is a traditional food originally from Scotland, though most peoples across the globe enjoy similarly clabbered milks through their traditional food heritage. Clabbered raw milk is not only edible, but particularly healthful as its sugars have been metabolized by lactic-acid producing bacteria and continue to proliferate. Moreover, milk that has been subject to pasteurization at ultra-high temperatures isn't even suitable for cheesemaking......"

Now I haven't even heard of this Clabbers, but I really want to try some now!
I read that and also had not heard that before either. I was thinking of posting that information but with you resident in Scotland believed you would have known about that so no post was made. That kind of information does make me wonder if milk is pasteurised at the cost of taking out what may be beneficial?

Perhaps clabbered raw milk is allowed in Scotland whereas raw milk is not. Maybe worth finding out, that could be a loophole allowing consumption of milk which is not pasteurised?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
Im not interested in the return of the milkman.
The floats get loaded up after completing the milk round, it meant in the summer the milk is sitting on the float for anything up to 14hrs warming nicely in the heat of the summer yuck !
Often tasting off yuck .

And also, for those out at work, milk would then be left sitting on the doorstep in the heat until tea time, too.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top