Join for free
Page 6 of 22 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
please don't listen to anybody who tells you that you don't need help to keep your Vit D levels normal.
As far as I can see, noone here has suggested that people shouldn't keep their Vit D levels normal unless I missed someone's post to that effect.

It's interesting to hear the effect that increased Vit D has had on your general feeling and energy levels etc. It helps confirm how important Vit D is.

I'm more interested to understand how you got a deficiency despite being in the sun. Do you use sun creams?

Could your past cancer treatments perhaps have something to do with it?

There seems to be consistent evidence around that people with cancers are often very low on Vitamin D. Here's a WebMD article:

Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Advanced Cancers

https://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20...vanced-cancers

"Study Shows Three-Fourths of Cancer Patients Have Low Levels of Vitamin D"

I guess the more pressing issue for cancer sufferers is whether or not their various treatments, chemo, radiotherapy and cocktails of drugs, have in any way compromised the body's ability to absorb Vit D from sunlight.

Or perhaps it is simply the case that the body naturally uses it's available Vitamin D resources to combat the cancer and that's why cancer sufferers are usually low in Vit D?

Either way, yes, clearly cancer sufferers (and other sufferers) need to monitor and boost their Vit D levels as well as possible.

To that end there's a wide range of natural foods that are great sources of Vit D (easily Googleable). Those would be my personal first ports of calls. Oily fish, mushrooms etc.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Again, sorry you're in the position/state you are in Floydy. Ignoring is a good option, one that has always been available of course.

For the record I'm very happy with my education, knowledge and research but am always searching to learn more and more. I find that's the best way to be. Also, happily married, 30 yrs now and have a reasonably sized detached house which is bought and paid for long ago. Your jibes ARE funny though.

Sincerely hope you have a better time of things soon.

Best
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:30 PM

It was in January, about two years ago that l went to my doctors as l felt so tired, lifeless and my bones in my legs and ankles were hurting.
It was a young locum that l saw and she suggested l have a blood test and she would request that my Vitamin D level was checked as well. She said the blood test for just Vitamin D levels had to be requested as an extra to a normal blood test. She said, she felt this test should be done routinely for all older people.
The blood test came back and it showed my Vitamin D levels were very low. It was 17. I was immediately, prescribed a very high dose of Vitamin D to bombard my system and raise the level. I now just take one Fultium D 800 IU capsule every day.

I was surprised to find my Vitamin D levels were so low, as l eat lots of dairy products but she said, l probably wasn’t absorbing it. I have to have Vitamin B12 injections every 3 months, as l don’t absorb Vitamin B12 either.

Regarding getting Vitamin D from sunshine, you just can’t win! They tell you not to be in the sun too much as you can get cancer. So you keep out of it and you end up with a Vitamin D deficiency!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:41 PM

And where do we get the sunshine from in the middle of this gloriously battering winter of heavy rain and gloom anyway? I know, let's jet off to the Caribbean for two afternoons per week. Simple.

Not.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
And where do we get the sunshine from in the middle of this gloriously battering winter of heavy rain and gloom anyway? I know, let's jet off to the Caribbean for two afternoons per week. Simple.

Not.

This is excactly what I asked 38 posts ago, Floydy!

We aint gonna find much here from about October till about next April!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This is excactly what I asked 38 posts ago, Floydy!

We aint gonna find much here from about October till about next Arpil!
Sorry Mups, yes I did see your post actually it just seemed to fall on deaf ears by our resident Google expert so I bumped it to remind him we are not all Rastamen living in Jamaica.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sorry Mups, yes I did see your post actually it just seemed to fall on deaf ears by our resident Google expert so I bumped it to remind him we are not all Rastamen living in Jamaica.

S'alright my friend, I wasn't moaning at you at all, as I agree with you.

I think this thread is going round in circles, just like some others do tbh. It'll never be resolved, that is clear.

I also notice the original poster lit the fire, then cleared off too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-11-2018, 05:10 PM

BTW, this is part of the link the OP put up at the beginning of this thread, incase anyone missed it.

It explains about lack of winter sunshine:

"It doesn't matter if someone lives in a cold, dark region during the winter months, so long as they've received plenty of sunshine during summer. If the body gets sufficient exposure to sunlight during the summer months, it will store the precursor to vitamin D and release it as required at other times. However, an ongoing maintenance dose from a quality supplement would be advisable."
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-11-2018, 05:11 PM

S'alright my friend, I wasn't moaning at you at all, as I agree with you.

I think this thread is going round in circles, just like some others do tbh. It'll never be resolved, that is clear.

I also notice the original poster lit the fire, then cleared off too.
Yes it's strange why they do that, Mups But I'd rather have that than some people's opinions who go overboard with their answers all derived from internet sources instead of their own experience on a given subject.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-11-2018, 05:15 PM

BTW, this is part of the link the OP put up at the beginning of this thread, incase anyone missed it.

It explains about lack of winter sunshine:

"It doesn't matter if someone lives in a cold, dark region during the winter months, so long as they've received plenty of sunshine during summer. If the body gets sufficient exposure to sunlight during the summer months, it will store the precursor to vitamin D and release it as required at other times. However, an ongoing maintenance dose from a quality supplement would be advisable."
Not completely true. I agree that vitamin D can be stored within the body for a period of time but not all through winter as if we are all hamsters. If we were fitted with solar panels that might be the case, but as we are human (well most of us anyway) we need that little extra kick in the way of an additional supplement. That applies to other forms of human existence such as our energy levels and general well being too. We need our regular quota of vitamins and minerals, although most can be derived from a good diet.

Page 6 of 22 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top