Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:06 PM

Re: Five European Countries that should be afraid, very afraid.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have always said we should have had a far greater role at running the EU and making decisions. It is not down to a lack of testosterone but down to sheer laziness and passing the buck by the British centre of power. Always easier to let others do the hard work and then blame them when things don't work out in our favour.
Your approach requires mep's that are present for starters. Farage and his band excelled in being absent. Perhaps you should vote for real british representatives next time you get the opportunity?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:14 PM

Sorry but I do not understand why an organisation as powerful as the EU cannot prevent Greece and Cyprus being swamped in the first place. My understanding is that they were being held to ransom by Turkey. I don't see why the ineptitude of the EU centre to deal with this avoidable humanitarian disaster should be borne by all member states.
European leaders have reached an agreement on dealing with the flow of African migrants after a marathon 10 hour meeting in Brussels, and Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte says the deal is ‘good news’. Details of the agreement are still sketchy but European leaders have agreed to talk to north African countries about halting the flow of migrants. Rutte spoke at the end of the meeting about a ‘Turkey-like deal’, referring to the EU’s agreement to give Turkey financial support in return for halting the flow of refugees.’ ‘We need to take the extent and the equality of our cooperation with Africa to a new level,’ European leaders said in a joint statement at the end of the summit. ‘This will not only require increased development funding but also steps towards creating a new framework enabling a substantial increase of private investment from both Africans and Europeans.’ Africa is our neighbour and this must be expressed by increased exchanges and contacts among the peoples of both continents on all levels of civil society, the statement continued.* ‘Cooperation between the European Union and the African Union is an important element of our relationship. The European Council calls for further developing and promoting it.’ Big step forward Rutte told reporters after the meeting that it was not simple to come to a deal. ‘And I am not going to say we have solved the issue,’ he said. ‘But we have taken a big step forward and after eight years in Brussels, I know Europe means doing things step by step.’ The meeting, he said, had not made Europe either stronger or more vulnerable. ‘There are issues which we can’t solve as individual countries,’ he said. ‘The migration streams, our safety, border security and climate change, we have to deal with these things together.’
Italy’s hard line prime minister Giuseppe Conte said the deal took ‘long negotiation, but from today Italy is no longer alone.’ More on the European agreement

Read more at DutchNews.nl:
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Your approach requires mep's that are present for starters. Farage and his band excelled in being absent. Perhaps you should vote for real british representatives next time you get the opportunity?
Farage is just into his own agenda. It's funny that some think the sun shines, but what did he achieve for British interests?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:18 PM

European leaders have reached an agreement on dealing with the flow of African migrants after a marathon 10 hour meeting in Brussels, and Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte says the deal is ‘good news’. Details of the agreement are still sketchy but European leaders have agreed to talk to north African countries about halting the flow of migrants. Rutte spoke at the end of the meeting about a ‘Turkey-like deal’, referring to the EU’s agreement to give Turkey financial support in return for halting the flow of refugees.’ ‘We need to take the extent and the equality of our cooperation with Africa to a new level,’ European leaders said in a joint statement at the end of the summit. ‘This will not only require increased development funding but also steps towards creating a new framework enabling a substantial increase of private investment from both Africans and Europeans.’ Africa is our neighbour and this must be expressed by increased exchanges and contacts among the peoples of both continents on all levels of civil society, the statement continued.* ‘Cooperation between the European Union and the African Union is an important element of our relationship. The European Council calls for further developing and promoting it.’ Big step forward Rutte told reporters after the meeting that it was not simple to come to a deal. ‘And I am not going to say we have solved the issue,’ he said. ‘But we have taken a big step forward and after eight years in Brussels, I know Europe means doing things step by step.’ The meeting, he said, had not made Europe either stronger or more vulnerable. ‘There are issues which we can’t solve as individual countries,’ he said. ‘The migration streams, our safety, border security and climate change, we have to deal with these things together.’
Italy’s hard line prime minister Giuseppe Conte said the deal took ‘long negotiation, but from today Italy is no longer alone.’ More on the European agreement

Read more at DutchNews.nl:
I thought we were discussing the Syrian crisis?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:21 PM

It won't work anyway, the countries are too corrupt.
Any funding / aid will probably be filtered off as usual.

Africa that is.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Farage is just into his own agenda. It's funny that some think the sun shines, but what did he achieve for British interests?
I'm not the one to answer that.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-05-2019, 09:28 PM

Refugees, and especially economic refegees come from far more countries than just syria. One of the difficulties was to distinguish between syrian and iranian, iraqui, azerbedjani, afghani, pakistani etc.
The problem and the solution are far more encompassing than just syria.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Refugees, and especially economic refegees come from far more countries than just syria. One of the difficulties was to distinguish between syrian and iranian, iraqui, azerbedjani, afghani, pakistani etc.
The problem and the solution are far more encompassing than just syria.
Yes of course but the situation that caused all the controversy was the Syrian war. Don't you think that after all these years the EU should have a plan on how to manage something like this? It should not involve member states being asked to take on the overflow when borders fail.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-05-2019, 09:33 PM

I'm not the one to answer that.
Yet you highlighted it. Convenient!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 10:36 PM

Which is why I have said that we should have learnt by now to stick two fingers up at decisions that do not suit us. It does not pay to be polite in such a game. After all what could they do to us if we tell them to Fork it when it's something against our own interests? Expel us?
I agree, and perhaps we could do that were it not for one little thing:

May.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top