Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 09:35 PM

Re: Homeless People.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
And the point is?

If people want to do something to make themselves feel good then that's up to them. IF that did indeed happen.

In any case more fool them. The risks far outweigh any possible benefit, in fact I can't see any benefits.
I think it happens more often that you would like to believe. There is good in society, Todger
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 09:42 PM

Wow, I hope I’m never on fire when todgers about, I doubt he would cross the street to p##s on me and put me out...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What could the hospital do ?
Here in the U.K. our A and E departments are overburdened as it is what could they so to help a homeless person with mental problems ?

The problems are the same here.

I don't know what ultimately happened to this woman, but she was put in the ER queue, and I was told that she could be admitted to a psychiatric unit for 72 hours under the Baker Act. Most likely, she would refuse services after that and be back outside of that or another hospital in three days.

The only thing I managed to do, being admittedly self-absorbed with my daughter, was to help her get four days of food and shelter in this recent cold snap.

Assigned to a social worker, she could get aid, but that would require her to provide documentation, a way to stay in touch with her, and a place to receive funds, but those funds even in her hands would not be enough to find a place to live, and and some point, she would likely give up or not be able to collect the funds.

Most likely she will be cycling in and out of the hospital and will get by by begging and the compassion of passersby until the weather warms up. She will probably drop out of sight until the weather gets cold again.

The answer is large state-run neurological centers but we just don't have them anymore.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Wow, I hope I’m never on fire when todgers about, I doubt he would cross the street to p##s on me and put me out...
To be perfectly honest if you were in dire need of something and it cost me nothing I probably would do what I could to help.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I think it happens more often that you would like to believe. There is good in society, Todger
I sincerely doubt it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

11-02-2021, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The problems are the same here.

I don't know what ultimately happened to this woman, but she was put in the ER queue, and I was told that she could be admitted to a psychiatric unit for 72 hours under the Baker Act. Most likely, she would refuse services after that and be back outside of that or another hospital in three days.

The only thing I managed to do, being admittedly self-absorbed with my daughter, was to help her get four days of food and shelter in this recent cold snap.

Assigned to a social worker, she could get aid, but that would require her to provide documentation, a way to stay in touch with her, and a place to receive funds, but those funds even in her hands would not be enough to find a place to live, and and some point, she would likely give up or not be able to collect the funds.

Most likely she will be cycling in and out of the hospital and will get by by begging and the compassion of passersby until the weather warms up. She will probably drop out of sight until the weather gets cold again.

The answer is large state-run neurological centers but we just don't have them anymore.
Neurological centers? Do you mean lunatic asylums? That's what they were.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 10:55 PM

To be perfectly honest if you were in dire need of something and it cost me nothing I probably would do what I could to help.
I believe you, Todger, and I'm sure you'd pee on him even if he weren't on fire.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I believe you, Todger, and I'm sure you'd pee on him even if he weren't on fire.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 11:25 PM

Awww, this is wholesome
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 11:29 PM

Neurological centers? Do you mean lunatic asylums? That's what they were.
No, I do not mean that. Surely, you are more educated and sophisticated to be able to use scientific nomenclature?

By the early 1980s when most closed, some state hospitals were absolutely worse than others. Before that, and still in some places like Russia, conditions and treatment would be considered indescribably inhumane. However, in most, trained staff and professionals were doing what they could with small budgets. The one near me had day rooms with brightly-painted walls, televisions, activities, and the patients were being well-cared for.

Don't get me wrong, there were very, very ill people there. That's what they were for. The saddest were children with hydrocephalus who had the cognitive ability and functioning of infants - and who had been relinquished by their parents. The most disturbing were people who cycled through lucidity, anger, confusion, and being distraught and violent. Patients were segregated according to their diagnoses.

In most cases, these hospitals provided - and would provide - basic needs, shelter, safety, and some measure of quality of life for the patients.

I would rather have the community residential neurological centers that were planned when they closed the state hospitals here in the US, but I am not sure we will ever fund them. State hospitals with better oversight and protocols would be better than the nothing that we have right now.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top