Join for free
Page 60 of 79 « First < 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Re: What do you remember???

I've still not read this thread all the way through, but I've seen mangles mentioned, dolly tubs, wash-boards etc, all of which I remember, but I haven't noticed anybody making mention of gas washing machines. Anyone remember those?

Also, Pepsodent toothpaste and Oxydol washing powder. It was Katy Boyle who advertised Camay, but does anyone remember Lyril soap.

Izal toilet paper which was smooth one side and "matt" on the other. If you used the smooth side it was more of a distributor than a wiper!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I've still not read this thread all the way through, but I've seen mangles mentioned, dolly tubs, wash-boards etc, all of which I remember, but I haven't noticed anybody making mention of gas washing machines. Anyone remember those?

Also, Pepsodent toothpaste and Oxydol washing powder. It was Katy Boyle who advertised Camay, but does anyone remember Lyril soap.

Izal toilet paper which was smooth one side and "matt" on the other. If you used the smooth side it was more of a distributor than a wiper!
Gas boilers! My mum used to have one and the gas jets roared underneath it!

"You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent"

I don't recall Lyril soap though
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 09:55 PM

I nearly spat my drink at the computer

So true though
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Sorry lass, but you do know my sense of humour by now.

No, I didn't say gas boiler, I said gas washing machine. It had an agitator inside, but you had to work it by hand.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 10:23 PM

No, I didn't say gas boiler, I said gas washing machine. It had an agitator inside, but you had to work it by hand.
Ahh.... not what I was thinking then!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

05-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Is this the type of machine you were thinking of, Mollie?

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Never heard of a gas washing machine, but did have a gas refrigerator when I bought my house in '65! Lovely quiet thing, not noisily clicking on and off like the electric ones; apparently it was very old, I suspect it dated back to the late 30s when the house was built. When I started looking for a replacement when it finally died people looked at me as if I were mad... "gas refrigerator, lady..... ? "
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

05-10-2011, 10:43 PM

I had never heard of gas washing machines either, Eileen
My parents first fridge was also a gas one ..... I could never understand how you could have a GAS fridge!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

05-10-2011, 10:46 PM

Mags, that's very similar to what my mum had, but it was a Fisher machine and the body of it went down to the floor, was cream in colour and the drum was deeper than the one in the video. I think it was on casters and there was a hole in the back where once the gas was turned on you lit it with a match.

Perhaps it wasn't hand-agitated after all. This was in or around 1956 so I was only tiny then. Very interesting video though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

05-10-2011, 10:50 PM

I caught a couple of accents in that video so I think that's an American version ....

Page 60 of 79 « First < 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top