Join for free
Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Re: Unbelievable - Pregnant Woman Killed By Dogs!

I don't know where I read it but I am sure I read that Labradors are most likely breed to bite, in my experience Yorkshire terriers and dachshunds are pretty high up on that list too.

All these breeds were of course not bred for companionship they had jobs to do.

We have interfered greatly in their lives really.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Yes - you make a good point above .....
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:00 PM

I have heard that too - but Labradors are the most popular breed so proportionally they probably don't bite anymore than any other dog. Interestingly the lowest dog to bite is a staffie. The breed that a lot of people mistakenly call for a ban.

I'm always a bit wary of a JRT too - I absolutely love them, but been snapped at once or twice by a JRT.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't know where I read it but I am sure I read that Labradors are most likely breed to bite, in my experience Yorkshire terriers and dachshunds are pretty high up on that list too.

All these breeds were of course not bred for companionship they had jobs to do.

We have interfered greatly in their lives really.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:13 PM

Perhaps someone can clear this up for me... as I really don't know.. the American Staffordshire Terrier.. aka Staffie or AmStaff.. The Bull Terrier.. WHAT is a PitBull? I know that the name Pit.. comes from the fighting pit the dogs fight in.. but what breed makes a pitbull? OR is Pitbull a breed in and of itself? I'm confused. The Staffies I have seen at the shelter sure look like the dogs known as pits..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I have heard that too - but Labradors are the most popular breed so proportionally they probably don't bite anymore than any other dog. Interestingly the lowest dog to bite is a staffie. The breed that a lot of people mistakenly call for a ban.

I'm always a bit wary of a JRT too - I absolutely love them, but been snapped at once or twice by a JRT.
Yes I agree about JRTs too, met one this morning was quite friendly looking with waggy tail but his teeth just missed me !

We don't see many labs these days round here it is mostly staffies and husky types, neither IMO are really suitable for this environment and need more space.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Labs are the most popular breed in the States.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Perhaps someone can clear this up for me... as I really don't know.. the American Staffordshire Terrier.. aka Staffie or AmStaff.. The Bull Terrier.. WHAT is a PitBull? I know that the name Pit.. comes from the fighting pit the dogs fight in.. but what breed makes a pitbull? OR is Pitbull a breed in and of itself? I'm confused. The Staffies I have seen at the shelter sure look like the dogs known as pits..
Originally Posted by Pit bull - Wikipedia
The term pit bull is a generic term used to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics. Usually a "pit bull" is considered one of several breeds including the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier or any mix thereof.
Pitbull - Wiki
Lot more breeds mentioned in the full description.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-12-2013, 04:29 PM

I think here the numbers are counted only of registered pups so unregistered litters are not counted which is why round here we see so many staffies and very few of the most popular breed the lab.
AudreyII
USA

14-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Pitbull - Wiki
Lot more breeds mentioned in the full description.

That's kind of what I thought. So a Pitbull is a fighting dog of any of those breeds or any mix thereof. But to me.. the AMStaff looks more of what I think of as a pitbull
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
'not suitable as pets' sums it up again .....
So should these breeds be stopped altogether - my vote would be 'yes'
Absolutely yes. There are laws preventing people from owning dangerous animals and I can't fathom why certain breeds of dog are not included in those restrictions. I think enough death and injury have occurred regarding those dogs for the law to act before anyone else's life is lost or irrepairably damaged.

Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top